• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling Hastings to London on GTR Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSCinHastings

Are the Southern trains "packed" all day long?

I am partially sighted and I am hoping to travel from Hastings to London in a few months and then return a few days later: I would be leaving Hastings around 11:00am-midday and I am wondering what the trains will be like if the industrial dispute is still in place.

Many thanks for any feedback.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Firesprite

You have no problems, As trains from Hastings to London Charing Cross via Tonbridge are run by South Eastern not Southern. Trains before lunch tend to be quiet anyway, so the best time to travel if you want a table to yourself.

tsr

Established Member
You have no problems, As trains from Hastings to London Charing Cross via Tonbridge are run by South Eastern not Southern. Trains before lunch tend to be quite anyway, so the best time to travel if you want a table to yourself.

The trains to Victoria via Haywards Heath are most definitely Southern services. As for how busy they will be, you will not have a problem boarding comfortably if you are travelling around that time of day.

If you head to the furthest ends of the train, they may fill up more quickly with regular passengers for Victoria or East Croydon (depending which end of the train) at various stops, but be aware those same furthest ends generally see fewer tourists boarding at Gatwick, which is generally the cause of the worst of the sardine-can experiences at off-peak times like lunchtimes.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are trains to London Bridge, Waterloo East & Charing Cross at xx50 and xx31 past the hour, taking 1 hr 35min and 1hr 24min (to London Bridge) respectively. These trains are operated by Southeastern.

There are also trains to London Victoria at xx58 taking 1 hr 59min. These are operated by GTR (under their "Southern" route brand).

I suggest you ask again nearer the time, and when your date of travel is known, perhaps a week or so in advance.

PSCinHastings

Thank you for your comments.

I guess that the Charing Cross route is the best to go for if the strikes are still in place, since I can change at Waterloo East to travel to Hampton Wick where i am staying.

Last year I did the trip on Southern with the change at Clapham Junction.

I was hoping that mt late-morning departure would mean that the trains are not as packed as some of the stories i have head about.

Status
Not open for further replies.