• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling to Gatwick on 30 January

calopez

I have to get to Gatwick Airport on 30 January, by around 1100. Southern are advertising a 15-minute interval shuttle on that day. Did they run something similar on previous strike days? (I can't remember.) Would it be foolish to rely on that?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

They are running a 15 min shuttle. Last time I believe they successfully ran a 30 min shuttle.

moogal

I used it on a previous strike day, it was very busy but they had plenty of staff managing it so it was manageable and running to time.

calopez

Thanks! Looks like it's going to be do-able, then.
I used it on a previous strike day, it was very busy but they had plenty of staff managing it so it was manageable and running to time.
Did you get away on the train you expected, or did you have to wait for a later one?

moogal

Thanks! Looks like it's going to be do-able, then.

Did you get away on the train you expected, or did you have to wait for a later one?
I got the one we'd planned to - would definitely advise getting there in plenty of time, though, as it was busy and late arrivals were standing in the aisle, despite it being a 12 car train and staff directing people all the way down the platform to use the full length.

calopez

In case anyone's interested, we got to Victoria at 0944 (having been lucky with the Central line!), obviously missed the 0945, but there were no queues and we had a coach to ourselves on the 1000. After seeing my wife off at Gatwick, I caught the 1146 back to Victoria, for which there was a moderate queue; passengers weren't allowed onto the platform until the incoming train had arrived.

My trains, and the others I saw, seemed to be pretty much on time - probably not surprising as there were no others about! Passing through large but deserted stations en route was a bit eerie.

Thanks to those who replied earlier for their advice.