• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Travelling without railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skipness

Yesterday, after the ticket office had closed, I was approached by a passenger enquiring what they should do. They had been issued with senior railcard tickets, but were not railcard holders.
Apparently their outward journey had been uneventful, with tickets checked but no request to show railcard. Prior to making their return journey on Saturday they had noticed that they had been issued (from a booking office) railcard discounted tickets. What advice would you give?
1. Do nothing and plead ignorance if queried. A very risky route to take.
2.Buy new tickets at full fare for their return journey. The simplest method, but expensive.
3. Buy full fare return tickets. Morally the correct thing to do, as they have already benefitted from a discounted outwards journey.
4. Anything else possible?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Personally I'd try to get them excessed at the first available opportunity. (pay the difference between what the did pay and what they should have paid without any sort of penalty being imposed)

I wouldn't look to buy completely new tickets if the customer hadn't specifically requested railcard tickets without holding a railcard.

greyman42

Established Member
Yesterday, after the ticket office had closed, I was approached by a passenger enquiring what they should do. They had been issued with senior railcard tickets, but were not railcard holders.
How do you get issued with senior railcard tickets if you have not got a railcard?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How do you get issued with senior railcard tickets if you have not got a railcard?
By purchasing online, or from a TVM, or (potentially) by informing the booking clerk that you are going to obtain one before travel and/or buying for others.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Y
1. Do nothing and plead ignorance if queried. A very risky route to take.
2.Buy new tickets at full fare for their return journey. The simplest method, but expensive.
3. Buy full fare return tickets. Morally the correct thing to do, as they have already benefitted from a discounted outwards journey.
4. Anything else possible?
5. Excess the tickets; if the origin station does not have an open booking office, they should inform any on board staff who are checking tickets (ie. the Conductor/TM/TTI/OBM/OBS) of this, and request to pay the excess.

Belperpete

Established Member
I would say the critical thing is to tell the on-board staff BEFORE they notice it for themselves. If you say nothing until challenged, the wrong assumption may be drawn.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Or (perhaps unlikely) a clerk assuming the passengers were Railcard holders when they weren't.
Perhaps the passengers asking for senior tickets, not realising that you need to hold a railcard for them to be valid. Lots of places give senior discounts without needing to hold a document to give eligibility, so for infrequent travellers probably an easy mistake to make

Status
Not open for further replies.