• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tree growing out of rail overbridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken H

On Moderation
This is the bridge over the Settle-Carlosle line where the Settle - Horton road crosses the line just north of Langcliffe
Great big tree sticking out of the parapet

I reported this to network rail last year and they said it wasnt a problem
but surely a tree in masonry will eventually cause a failure?

Ignore or escalate somehow?

20220320_123833[1].jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
They probably sent a subcontracted engineering consultancy along to investigate.

Said consultancy will pick up a bomb when the parapet is eventually (not to long by the look of it - looks like the mortar is already failing) displaced and blocks the line. And of course, they may have been tipped off that there's nothing left in the routine repairs budget. Catastrophic works come out of a separate budget.

The Old Ganger at Taunton long ago, who I have written about here to derision from current day engineers, would never have let that get beyond a blade of grass.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I suggest this would be the place to report it: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/communities/contact-us/

Contact us if your query is about:

• a safety threat to you or others
  • work on the railway infrastructure, including track maintenance, work to electrify lines and for most major projects on the railway
  • how we maintain our land alongside the track
  • one of our stations
  • issues on our land such as trees, vegetation, graffiti or fencing (if you are contacting us about these, it would be really helpful to include some photographs).

It could do with being removed reasonably soon. It'll only become an issue if it starts jacking the parapet.

They probably sent a subcontracted engineering consultancy along to investigate.

Said consultancy will pick up a bomb when the parapet is eventually (not to long by the look of it - looks like the mortar is already failing) displaced and blocks the line. And of course, they may have been tipped off that there's nothing left in the routine repairs budget. Catastrophic works come out of a separate budget.
Please don't make things up - it's categorically untrue to suggest the LNW engineers allow things to collapse in order to get them fixed.

How often are bridges like this inspected? That tree has clearly been there a long time.
Annual visual inspection, usually 6-yearly detailed exam

You've done the right thing in submitting a service request regardless

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It could do with being removed reasonably soon. It'll only become an issue if it starts jacking the parapet.
I'm no civil engineer, but looking at the photo hasn't it started doing that already? I have a feeling a minor nudge from a road vehicle could send it onto the track.

I'm no civil engineer, but looking at the photo hasn't it started doing that already? I have a feeling a minor nudge from a road vehicle could send it onto the track.
Large bonded masonry wall - it'll hold itself together reasonably well

Nudging a parapet with any road vehicle is never a good thing...

furnessvale

Established Member
Large bonded masonry wall - it'll hold itself together reasonably well

Nudging a parapet with any road vehicle is never a good thing...
That parapet reminds me of the wash wall on Britain's canals. Over the years, many trees have been allowed to grow out of those walls, just like that. Many miles of wash walls have now collapsed into the canals.

Ken H

On Moderation
What annoyed me was that my previous report a couple of years ago was rejected. A tree oot will get bigger as the tree grows putting more stress on the masonry. And this is N Yorks where the weather can be rough any cracks then water can get in. It can then freeze and expand making the problem worse
At least they could have sawn the tree off close to the masonry and applied weedkiller to the stump. Doing it during a possesion for something else would limit disruption. You would need temporary traffic lights on the road though. They recently did tree clearance in the cutting to the north of the bridge.....

Snow1964

Established Member
I don’t think Network Rail really care sometimes,

Here is a link to Google street view of portal of Box tunnel, with a tree growing out of the parapet (and this is listed so supposed to be maintained to a higher standard). It is not exactly a secondary backwater that rarely sees a train either.

Ken H

On Moderation
I don’t think Network Rail really care sometimes,

Here is a link to Google street view of portal of Box tunnel, with a tree growing out of the parapet (and this is listed so supposed to be maintained to a higher standard). It is not exactly a secondary backwater that rarely sees a train either.

They will care when a gurt lump of stone drops in front of ir on a train.

Amlag

Each railway bridge on the soon to be called GBR rail network
has,under Network Rail, over recent years had an information plate affixed advising its name, mileage and emergency etc contact telephone number.

I thus suggest such observations including the now widespread damaging growth of trees and the dreaded invasive buddleia, should be reported direct to the Area Railway Control Office telephone number responsible.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The Old Ganger at Taunton long ago, who I have written about here to derision from current day engineers, would never have let that get beyond a blade of grass.
No one disagrees. However some of us are honest enough to admit the comparison is not a fair one with the modern world.

Your old ganger in 1953 had, say, one mile of track to care for and 27 men to do that. He had one train an hour on his patch and a much more "relaxed" access and safety environment, much cheaper resources and a much less controlled manner of spending public money all done in house by one company.

Today the person responsible for that section of track has, say, one man to cover 27 miles, 24 trains and hour, access once a week for 30 minutes, a vast regulatory framework to comply with and very controlled expenditure rules all actioned in a vastly fragmented corporate structure.

It is a somewhat different world meaning the justification/assessment of priority has to drive work. It is only going to get worse with the tightening of access to public money that is coming.

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
To whom and how?
I dont work for the railway

This is the location in Google maps. You can see the tree on the right
As with the post above, if you believe the bridge to be in serious danger each bridge should now has a Red-bordered plate on the parapet or abutment with identification and contact information.
The plate for this bridge is visible on the left hand parapet end column:

Ken H

On Moderation
As with the post above, if you believe the bridge to be in serious danger each bridge should now has a Red-bordered plate on the parapet or abutment with identification and contact information.
The plate for this bridge is visible on the left hand parapet end column:
I sent them a googe street view link, as well as a written description of the location so they can find the bridge.

The tree in the photo looks like it could be a willow ( looking at its growth form ). Willows like water. They can easily damage drainage that is poorly maintained from my experience.

The presence of a willow here would perhaps suggest there is a problem with water ingress in the brickwork/ stonework and comes back to what was discussed up thread about the inspection plan needing to be reviewed if things are being missed.

Ken H

On Moderation
Response from network rail by email
Thank you for contacting me.

I just wanted to confirm that I have received the details you provided and have passed these through to the necessary team for them to investigate further.

As soon as I have an update, I'll be back in touch however, should anything chance or you would like to provide further information in the meantime, please feel free to get in touch with myself.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I sent them a googe street view link, as well as a written description of the location so they can find the bridge.

Response from network rail by email
Good to hear they've acknowledged this. In future if you can get the Bridge Number, ELR and Mileage it will help them respond quicker, but I appreciate you can't always stop and take a photo when on your travels!

Taunton

Established Member
Looking at Google Maps, the tree appears to be fully established and in substantial leaf in July 2021

However, the previous photograph available there is September 2011, where it can also be seen to be starting to show well above the parapet then. That's 11 years ago. Now it may be that it has been cut down in the intervening time and re-established. But it does look surprising.

RSimons

The tree looks like regrowth from a stump that was cut down three or four years ago. I don’t know what tree-killers are now legally available but it will be difficult to either kill or remove. One old technique was to drill holes in the stump and repeatedly fill them with sodium or potassium chlorate, then to burn the stump and as much of the root as possible (the chlorate provides the oxygen).

bengley

Established Member
I'm no structural engineer but the bridge doesn't look to be in good condition at all.

The area I've circled seems to have significant horizontal voids between bricks.

Ken H

On Moderation
I'm no structural engineer but the bridge doesn't look to be in good condition at all.

The area I've circled seems to have significant horizontal voids between bricks.
This is not a little rural byway. Its the way up to quarries at helwith bridge and horton. Great big artics. and going quite quick as its 40mph speed limit. So the bridge will be getting some hammer. B6480
Link to map image - http://streetmap.co.uk/map?X=382044&Y=465317&A=Y&Z=115

randyrippley

Established Member
Looking at Google Maps, the tree appears to be fully established and in substantial leaf in July 2021

However, the previous photograph available there is September 2011, where it can also be seen to be starting to show well above the parapet then. That's 11 years ago. Now it may be that it has been cut down in the intervening time and re-established. But it does look surprising.
Looks like an Ash tree which has been cut back and regrown.
It's going to need herbicidal treatment to kill the roots, otherwise it'll just grow back again and lift the brickwork. Presumably that's lime mortar, not proper cement so the tree will love the lime-rich setting

Looks like an Ash tree which has been cut back and regrown.
It's going to need herbicidal treatment to kill the roots, otherwise it'll just grow back again and lift the brickwork. Presumably that's lime mortar, not proper cement so the tree will love the lime-rich setting
If its an Ash then it will be dead soon. A considerable number of the other trees in the street view in the surrounding landscape are Ash showing not insignificant symptoms of H. fraxineus. The tree I saw in #1 looked more like a willow.

Ken H

On Moderation
If its an Ash then it will be dead soon. A considerable number of the other trees in the street view in the surrounding landscape are Ash showing not insignificant symptoms of H. fraxineus. The tree I saw in #1 looked more like a willow.
I have just started with the snots. But i will go and get a close up of the tree for tou ASAP

Excerpt from email received from Network Rail this morning.

Thanks for contacting us regarding the tree growing from the bridge parapet.

Our structures team have completed a rapid exam at this location just a couple of weeks ago. From this we have created a work order to have this removed.

As this is deemed a low risk as there is no immediate threat to the road or rail, it will be planned in and removed as soon as we have the resources to take this away.

At the moment our front line staff are working hard on safety critical work and will complete this as soon as they can, but this may take longer than usual.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.