• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trenitalia Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

me123

Established Member
Just a quick question. I'll be flying out to Milan in the next few days and I'll be likely to spend a couple of days exploring the surrounding area by train (possibly visiting Parma and Lake Como - just places for day trips). I've not particularly travelled by train in Italy before (just the Leonardo Express and hilariously bad Circumvesuviana) so I'm not entirely sure what to expect.

I'm just really wondering if there is any benefit to booking travel in advance with Tranitalia, or is it just as easy to buy the tickets at the station on the day? I'd quite like the flexibility of being able to decide my plans on the fly if possible, but I don't really fancy an unexpected hefty bill.

And while I'm here, anyone have any other recommendations for a day trip near Milan?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
You can buy on the day and nothing is really *that* expensive but as reservations are compulsory there is always a small risk of your chosen train being full.

pemma

Veteran Member
For shorter distance services you don't save by buying in advance and can only buy in advance 1 week in advance of travel. If you do buy in advance you get a personalised print@home ticket which can only be used with ID - that does give you the advantage of not having to queue on the day and you can print a spare copy so if you lose/damage a ticket then you have a second without needing to buy a new ticket but you would then need to carry your passport or driving licence with you when travelling.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'm just really wondering if there is any benefit to booking travel in advance with Trenitalia, or is it just as easy to buy the tickets at the station on the day? I'd quite like the flexibility of being able to decide my plans on the fly if possible, but I don't really fancy an unexpected hefty bill.

If you can navigate the Trenitalia web site (it's not keen on connections), you can get very good Advance fares over longer distances (eg €9 Milan-Genoa).
Not so good on walk-up fares, as none of the many discounts on offer are workable for tourists.
They don't have cheap day return fares, it's always twice the (high) single price.
But for these you don't gain by booking ahead, it's the same price at stations.
The station ATMs are easily workable just like here.

You could get to Verona or Venice on fast trains for €15/25 each way, both splendid places for a day trip.
Como is about €10, and you have the option of the local operator FNM (Ferrovie Nord Milano) for about €5 (Como Nord Lago is right by the lake).
http://www.trenord.it/IT/

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Venice obviously although it'll take a couple of hours

Yeah, a bit too far, and I don't think you could do it justice in a day. Did occur to me, though.

You can buy on the day and nothing is really *that* expensive but as reservations are compulsory there is always a small risk of your chosen train being full.

Is this true of all trains? And does that mean that I have to specify a return service when I'm buying my ticket?

Apparently for the Lake Como area it is just turn up and go (according to "The Man in Seat 61"), but would I need reservations/to specify my return train for Parma? And would that then be "set in stone"?

If you can navigate the Trenitalia web site (it's not keen on connections), you can get very good Advance fares over longer distances (eg €9 Milan-Genoa).

Herein lies the problem. Like most of the Italian internet, Trenitalia is a bit rubbish.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is this true of all trains?

There is a clear demarcation between regional and "intercity" - the former is walk-up, the latter is compulsory reservation. Tickets are not interavailable.

I believe, in common with near enough everywhere in Europe except here, single-fare pricing is in use anyway.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Also, if you're going on the regional (non-reservable) trains, e.g. to Como, you have to validate your paper ticket in a machine by the platform before boarding.

me123

Established Member
There is a clear demarcation between regional and "intercity" - the former is walk-up, the latter is compulsory reservation. Tickets are not interavailable.

I believe, in common with near enough everywhere in Europe except here, single-fare pricing is in use anyway.

So am I right to say that, if I take the Regionale (±Veloce) train to Parma (which was my plan), then it's just a walk up fare and I can take any Regionale train back to Milano?

Also, if you're going on the regional (non-reservable) trains, e.g. to Como, you have to validate your paper ticket in a machine by the platform before boarding.

Yes - the cynic in me recalls that Fiumicino Airport station had no English signage regarding using the validators/"Composter" (IIRC) and wondered if it was a ploy to separate ignorant tourists from their money. But, of course, validating your ticket is the norm in Europe and we are the odd ones who don't require it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So am I right to say that, if I take the Regionale (±Veloce) train to Parma (which was my plan), then it's just a walk up fare and I can take any Regionale train back to Milano?

Yes.

Yes - the cynic in me recalls that Fiumicino Airport station had no English signage regarding using the validators/"Composter" (IIRC) and wondered if it was a ploy to separate ignorant tourists from their money. But, of course, validating your ticket is the norm in Europe and we are the odd ones who don't require it.

I've long thought we should have introduced it - it solves loads of problems relating to ticket re-use.

Sleeper

And while I'm here, anyone have any other recommendations for a day trip near Milan?

Don't omit to take some rides on the Milan trams, particularly the old "Peter Witt" types. Also, the architecture and decoration of the shopping arcade near the cathedral is stunning, as well as the cathedral itself.

For a day trip, consider Turin. Riverside city. Shopping streets with arched colonnades. Transport interest includes trams, trolleybuses and an electric rack railway.

See Google and YouTube for further information. (Other browsers available, etc.)

pemma

Veteran Member

I seem to recall the Trenitalia TVMs giving a message in the language you select saying to validate your ticket before boarding. I also recall something like "Beware pickpockets" flashing up while it was processing the transaction and it warning me the train was expected to be 2 minutes late and asking did I still wish to travel?

In Germany if you purchase a ticket for immediate use then it comes pre-validated. It could Germans that the warning about a 2 minute delay was for. I remember once being at a S-Bahn station where a train was announced as being cancelled (with the next train in 6 minutes) one local man threw down his briefcase with considerable force and loudly voicing his opinion on a train being cancelled.

dutchflyer

Established Member
There is also a special ride-at-will ticket for ALL local transport (trains, metro, tram, bus) in the whole of the Lombardia Province-for 1-2-3 days, but it is NOT valid on the last section into the airport! Its about 15/25/35€ as I recall, on machines from the Milano metro and the former FNM=TrenOrd, but (but that was some time ago) from FS-buy from clerk. Parma is out of that province, the lakes and Brescia are inside. JUst like in Germany only valid on local trains (R-egionale). They are changing over to chipcards in that region.

Status
Not open for further replies.