• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Tri-state Banner Repeater Installs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
Is there a new rule that NR are now only allowed to install tri-state Banner repeaters in new signalling installs?

6 tri-state repeaters have gone in along the Felixstowe branch since it was resignalled. 4 repeat 2 aspect signals and the two that do actually repeat a 3 aspect signal don't seem to have any useful benefit in being three state rather than two.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
Possibly it allows just the one thing to be bought and a standard item to replace/fix?

ComUtoR

Established Member
I prefer them but they don't seem to be installed in logical locations. We have had a load of new signalling schemes recently and I haven't seen any Three State ones installed. I was hoping they would be the new standard.

hwl

Established Member
Is there a new rule that NR are now only allowed to install tri-state Banner repeaters in new signalling installs?

6 tri-state repeaters have gone in along the Felixstowe branch since it was resignalled. 4 repeat 2 aspect signals and the two that do actually repeat a 3 aspect signal don't seem to have any useful benefit in being three state rather than two.
Makes a big difference for defensive freight driving in general so the policy seems to be install 3 aspect even if the rest of the signalling isn't there yet.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What is a tri state banner repeater?
One that shows a sloping black bar on a green background for a green signal, same on a white background for yellows, and a horizontal bar on a white background for red. "Normal" banners show the same for all non-red aspects of the main signal.

TheEdge

Established Member
Makes a big difference for defensive freight driving in general so the policy seems to be install 3 aspect even if the rest of the signalling isn't there yet.

I understand that freight needs more defensive driving. But I still don't understand why they have been used to repeat a two aspect signal, all put in as part of the same new installation.

And even the ones that do repeat three aspect seem to be rather redundant given linespeed and distance and visibility of the next signal.

Aictos

Established Member
One that shows a sloping black bar on a green background for a green signal, same on a white background for yellows, and a horizontal bar on a white background for red. "Normal" banners show the same for all non-red aspects of the main signal.

Ahh, I know I've seen some banner repeaters that show a sloping black bar on a green background only and some banner repeaters that show a sloping black bar on a white background but I didn't know the industry had banners repeaters being able to show three aspects???

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I understand that freight needs more defensive driving. But I still don't understand why they have been used to repeat a two aspect signal, all put in as part of the same new installation.

And even the ones that do repeat three aspect seem to be rather redundant given linespeed and distance and visibility of the next signal.
I think it's about presenting consistent information to the driver - a green banner always means a green aspect. However a white banner won't always mean a non-green aspect for several decades until the last of the conventional banners is replaced.

A lot of banners were installed as part of XC linespeed enhancement, when the required 7s sighting time of the signal itself wasn't achieved at the higher speed. Someone pointed out that two-state banners weren't addressing the hazard because when approaching at full speed the signal would always be showing a proceed aspect (except in cases of failure or emergency) so the banner would always be showing the same "off" indication - in effect a very expensive "signal ahead" warning sign. The thing the driver needs to know in that situation is whether the signal is green or not. If the train had already encountered a cautionary aspect then it would be going more slowly and the driver would have 7s of sighting time for the signal itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.