• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triangular trip - sort of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going South

I wonder if the members might help me with some ideas for keeping the price down of a tringular trip with a gap in it that I have coming up?

I have a 16-25 Railcard.
The first leg is on expenses and a return ticket can be claimed for this bit.

1. Monday 23rd July. Waltham Cross to Birmingham International, arriving before 10am
2. Monday 23rd July. Birmingham International to Bristol Temple Meads, departing after 4pm
3. Thursday 26th July. Castle Cary to Waltham Cross, arriving any time before 5pm.

Is there some sort of cunning plan I can swing into action?

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Preference for "open" tickets or Advances?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What have you found so far?

Also have you tried trainscanbecheaper.info ?

D6975

Established Member
The 17:30 off New St (Nott-CF service) calls at Bromsgrove and Cheltenham Spa.

This means you can split International-TM at Bromsgrove if you catch this from N ST and change at Cheltenham onto the Voyager 10 mins behind it.
Anytime singles are £7.90 and £11.70 (full fare)

Going South

Thanks for the replies so far.
I can commit to advance tickets.
So far I have:
1st leg (Waltham Cross to Birmingham Int) £57.40 (anytime single)
2nd leg (Birmingham Int to Bristol TM) £29.35 (advance)
3rd leg (Castle Cary to Waltham Cross) £15.20 (advance - pretty good)

I did wonder if there was some destination I could extend my WLC - BHI ticket to which would give me some sort of amazing flexibility at a good price!

Thanks again.

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
The Waltham Cross to Birmingham Int Anytime Single ticket is extremely bad value for you. As you hold a 16-25 railcard, Virgin Trains will allow you to travel on ANY of their trains using an Off-Peak ticket, so long as they price that ticket and that all travel is with Virgin Trains.

For that reason, I would suggest "splitting" at London, and buying a Waltham Cross to Zone U1* LONDN (available on WebTIS sites like Redspottedhanky or East Coast) priced at £6.10, then a London to Birmingham International Off-Peak Single, priced at £30.10

Note that the latter is still bad value, as the Off-Peak Return is just a few pence more. If you are going to make another trip to Birmingham or nearby within a month, you should buy the Off-Peak Return and then the unused return portion can be coupled with a cheap Advance single for the outward booked before travel. Or, alternatively, Virgin offer half-price Off-Peak singles on their website when bought with another ticket for the other direction. You could get this for £15.40, and buy an extremely cheap single in the other direction (say a Saturday in mid-September) that you would throw away ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.