• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trident Missile test fail

dangie

Established Member
From the BBC:
The test firing of a Trident missile from a Royal Navy submarine has failed, for the second time in a row… The missile's booster rockets failed and it landed in the sea close to the launch site…. The previous test from a UK submarine in 2016 also ended in failure, when the missile veered off course.

This reminded me of of work colleague who used to be in the Royal Marines. He told of a torpedo firing exercise off the coast of Greenland. They fired a torpedo at an iceberg. The torpedo hit the sloping edge of the iceberg, went up out of the water, then slid back down and headed back towards the ship. Either it missed or they were able to destroy it, but he said it was a very close call.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Should have kept it simple and fired him out of a cannon.

GG2aTSmXYAAFhbt.jpg

Alt text: NAVY FLOP, British nuclear sub missile launch FAILS as Trident misfires and plots into the sea just yards away - with Shapps on board

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Meh. Trident is a complex weapon system and they do go wrong sometimes. But of the nearly 200 test launches maybe ten have gone wrong. Not bad odds really.

Still, could be worse. This is what happened to the first submerged test launch:

dgl

Established Member
I understand (listening to the news) that basically the wrong coordinates were put in and as such it failed safe, basically the system works as it should have with the information it was given.
Still it's a poor show.

DustyBin

Established Member
I understand (listening to the news) that basically the wrong coordinates were put in and as such it failed safe, basically the system works as it should have with the information it was given.
Still it's a poor show.

I thought that was in reference to the previous failed test (I may be wrong though)?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
it all sounds very dramatic and incompetent but what EXACTLY went wrong here:

The submarine launched a missile: the communications & chain of command worked to deliver a valid launch order to the submarine, the launch sequence worked, the crew worked correctly, the submarine worked correctly & the missile left the submarine.

That is, apparently, the test criteria met and the submarine is out on patrol, somewhere

The previous "failed" test was only failed because the range safety officer blew up the missile in flight as it was off target. This happens on a fairly regular basis with missile firings.

Should have kept it simple and fired him.
fixed for you.

najaB

Veteran Member
It does sound very much like either a safety plug wasn't removed, so that the solid ignitor didn't fire or, as @dgl said, it failed safe due to mal-programming.

They did say that it was something specific to this being a test.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
They did say that it was something specific to this being a test.
"Now then Dimitri... I'm just calling up to tell you something terrible has happened... It's a *friendly* call. Of course it's a friendly call... Listen, if it wasn't friendly... you probably wouldn't have even got it..."

birchesgreen

Established Member
"There has been a bit of a cock-up... no not chicken. Say, you arn't in St Petersberg right now are you? OK thats good..."

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Serious topic, but this certainly made me laugh. ;)

Matt cartoon.png
("Matt" cartoon as appeared in the 'Daily Telegraph' on Wednesday 21st February 2024)

Caption says... 'Our Trident missile is veering off course. I hope it doesn't hit the UK's only working aircraft carrier'.