• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to Aberdeen/Inverness before the Azumas arrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpethcurve

I'm hoping to achieve NCL - INV and ABD - NCL by HST later this year. I realise the Hitachis are progressively advancing northward - how long do I have? An earlier post mentioned a derogation to keep 6 in use past the deadline. Are these specifically for the unelectrified routes?

I see that NCL - ABD fares on XC are rather more expensive than LNER, yet XC have a general reputation for being crowded. Is this the case on the ABD too?

I see on XC's site that: "...customers holding Standard Advance tickets are not eligible for the First Class upgrade" which I presume means only standard anytime tickets. I'm sure I've done weekend upgrades on LNER with advance tickets.

Many Thanks - Morpethcurve

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
I'm hoping to achieve NCL - INV and ABD - NCL by HST later this year. I realise the Hitachis are progressively advancing northward - how long do I have? An earlier post mentioned a derogation to keep 6 in use past the deadline. Are these specifically for the unelectrified routes?

I see that NCL - ABD fares on XC are rather more expensive than LNER, yet XC have a general reputation for being crowded. Is this the case on the ABD too?

I see on XC's site that: "...customers holding Standard Advance tickets are not eligible for the First Class upgrade" which I presume means only standard anytime tickets. I'm sure I've done weekend upgrades on LNER with advance tickets.

Many Thanks - Morpethcurve

The 6 HST sets being retained post December, have not been confirmed and a derogation is unlikely IMO.
These are supposed to be for LNER diversions into London Liverpool Street for a blockade at the beginning of next year.
The Aberdeen and Inverness services are expected to be IET operated by the end of the year

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

XC only allow holders of flexible tickets (such as Anytime, Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak) to upgrade via a weekend first supplement. Holders of Standard Class APs have to pay the difference between the AP and the cheapest 1st class ticket that would be valid for the train they're using.

LNER do not have such a restriction (indeed I do not believe any other TOC does) and will happily allow holders of any type of valid Standard Class ticket to upgrade using Weekend First.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
XC only allow holders of flexible tickets (such as Anytime, Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak) to upgrade via a weekend first supplement. Holders of Standard Class APs have to pay the difference between the AP and the cheapest 1st class ticket that would be valid for the train they're using.

LNER do not have such a restriction (indeed I do not believe any other TOC does) and will happily allow holders of any type of valid Standard Class ticket to upgrade using Weekend First.

Would this be so that LNER get more people to use First Class which on their trains? I've had trouble-free trips in recent times with XC but the fact is, 4 and 5-car Voyagers (with 26 First Class seats) operating alongside a company who runs 9 coaches and 3 types of catering basically (buffet, trolley and a order-online service I believe) will push people onto busy LNER services.

Status
Not open for further replies.