• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to london on the 16th August

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plans are Monday night on the 15th August travel down on scotrail sleeper for the night and wake up tuesday morning

Spend the morning on class 315. 321 around the zone areas

After lunchtime thrash 317 to cambridge and back

Spend rest of the day on other trains in the zone area till 11pm

Scotrail sleeper back to glasgow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
A possible alternative for the afternoon would be to take the 67-hauled Chiltern service from Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street at 13:20 (arrive 15:17), returning with the same skip at 15:55, arriving M'bone at 18:00. This is only £25.00 off-peak return, and Tottenham Hale > Cambridge isn't much less at £20.70. You'll still have hours in London with the Travelcard before and after this jaunt, which will net 223 miles of loco-haulage if you like that sort of thing.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You could take a trip up the Metropolitan line on the old A Stock trains. I know not everyone is interested in LUL, but the trains are fun to ride on, and the line is all in the open air north of Finchley Road. If you're (un)lucky (depending on viewpoint!) you may also get to try out one of the new S Stock trains.

Well amy old trains is more fun to ride on than alot of the modern trains and the glasgow underground are quite fun but The london underground looks better because theres different routes

Use to have a good runs up from glasgow to Ayr on a 318 when they go up to there speed limit and the 314 from glasgow to wanyss bay and specially the the express services to geurock specially when they go at speed trough tunnels and open much windows as you can and the rattle you here when the 314 specially trough the tunnels is unbeatable
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
But cant do that amymore because the class 380 took over and the 318 and 314 are just doing routes that not as good as the Ayrshire and inverclyde routes

b0b

Established Member
As an ex-strathclyder I think you should try to bash the 319's, either on AC, on a train that's non stop from st pancras to st albans, or on the DC, the run between East Croydon and Gatwick Airport.

Sit in the motor car, which has the pantograph on it, preferably under the pan which is easily identified by the lower roof inside.

Also maybe worth stopping at farringdon to see the AC/DC switch happen, you won't see that up in Glasgow.

Edit: guess 317s and 319s have similar traction motors, so might be a waste of time after your Cambridge bash.

Last edited:

gazthomas

Established Member
The Chiltern option would be my preferred.

Other ideas:

St Pancras to Luton with 319's, 377's, HST's and Meridians

St Pancras to Ashford on HS1

St Albans Abbey branch before it becomes a trams way

Bedford to Bletchley (as an extension of a Luton trip perhaps?)

A loop - say London Overground mixed with some 90's at Stratford (yes I know they are stop set down/pick up only <D). You just need a Z6 travel card then.

313's into Moorgate from Finsbury Park. AC and DC and very similar to 314's. Could get off at Highbury and Islington to access the Overground.

Another good idea now got a tougher choice 319s look good aswell and saw a 313 under a low level tunnal just like 10 year ago when we use to have the 314s under glasgow centrol low level along with the 303s but can't remember what station it was when I saw that video of the 313 under the low level station because love to aring back abit of the memorys whiles I'm down

b0b

Established Member
If you might avoid the 313's on the Moorgate branch because you've used 314's through Glasgow Central low level, I'd reconsider - intermediate stations on the Moorgate branch are practically a tube line where the 313 just about fits and it really feels much bigger than the much more spacious stations on the Argyle line.

Well it would be good to give that a go because the 314s stopped goin through the argyle line since the 334s started running so it would be good to have to trash simuler version of the 314s through the low levels

gazthomas

Established Member
The clearances are super tight, plus the added benefit of the temporary loss of power at Drayton Park.

b0b

Established Member
Well it would be good to give that a go because the 314s stopped goin through the argyle line since the 334s started running so it would be good to have to trash simuler version of the 314s through the low levels

I still think you'd really enjoy a run on a 319 from St Pancras to St Albans, make sure it doesn't call at any intermediate stations though. They whip themselves up to a nice speed at its a fair distance between STP and SAC.

You'd need a Boundary Zone 6 to St Albans (NOT St Albans Abbey) to be valid for the run.

I also remember some lively runs on 319s at speed between East Croydon and Gatwick Airport, but that's a DC run vs AC. Back in the ninties on a sunny day, I'd bash the 319 down to Gatwick, sit out in the sun and watch some airplanes on the observation deck (surely closed now?) and then bash back on the 319.

You would probably want a East Croydon to Gatwick Airport return, route FCC Only; to combine with your travelcard to be valid for that trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.