• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trip to Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

whhistle

On Moderation
After watching a TV Programme the other day, I have been re-inspired to visit Scotland on the train.
Heading up to Edinburgh, probably across to Glasgow, up to Mallaig but it's a shame there isn't some sort of Mallaig to Kyle Of Lochalsh train.

Is it far to walk across the island and back on the boat to Kyle of Lochalsh?

Would probably look at getting a train from Inverness to London (maybe) although not sure if I can handle 8 hours odd on the train.

Any other journeys I should look at doing while in Scotland?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanD

Established Member
Can't remember the last time I saw a ferry to Kyle of Lochalsh from Mallaig or Kyleakin. It's a long walk. Get the ferry from Mallaig to Armadale then the bus across Skye to the Kyle of Lochalsh.

High Dyke

Established Member
After watching a TV Programme the other day, I have been re-inspired to visit Scotland on the train.
Heading up to Edinburgh, probably across to Glasgow, up to Mallaig but it's a shame there isn't some sort of Mallaig to Kyle Of Lochalsh train.

Would probably look at getting a train from Inverness to London (maybe) although not sure if I can handle 8 hours odd on the train.

The journey isn't as bad as it seems when you travel through like that. The Mem and I picked up the Inverness service from York the other year; Ok that is still 6 hours, but at least you can get up and walk about on the train; and there is still the scenery to look at.

Veteran Member

Assuming it's scenery you're after, I would use different routes North and South, and do Inverness-Perth-(Dundee-) Forth Bridge-Edinburgh-London even though it means 2-3 changes of train.

To be more adventurous, I would consider Ayr-Stranraer (returning straight away, sorry Stranraer!) and/or the Far North route (for its remoteness - and perhaps coming part way back from Wick by bus to give variety).

freelander

I,m looking at doing those trips next year using a 7 day rover, trip starts on the west coast Warrington -Edinburgh then a train up to Inverness, over night stay then the Kyle line and back, over night stay, then to Glasgow to catch the Fort William train, again over night in F/W then the next day catch the Mallaig train with a stop at Glenfinnan to photo the viaduct. returning back to Glasgow the following day to catch the train to Carlisle over nighter then the Settle line to Leeds and then on to Manchester Picc
timings are pretty tight for the Glasgow-Mallaig train as one leaves around 12.30 arriving 16.00 while the next is 16.30ish.arriving 20.00. those times are based on the winter time table hoping better times may be in the summer times.

freelander

Kite159

Veteran Member
Assuming it's scenery you're after, I would use different routes North and South, and do Inverness-Perth-(Dundee-) Forth Bridge-Edinburgh-London even though it means 2-3 changes of train.

To be more adventurous, I would consider Ayr-Stranraer (returning straight away, sorry Stranraer!) and/or the Far North route (for its remoteness - and perhaps coming part way back from Wick by bus to give variety).

Agreed with going to Wick (or Thurso) by train, and catching the X99 back to Inverness as the bus goes on a different route (and it is quite scenic running alongside the sea in places)

Veteran Member
Timings are pretty tight for the Glasgow-Mallaig train as one leaves around 12.30 arriving 16.00 while the next is 16.30ish.arriving 20.00. those times are based on the winter time table hoping better times may be in the summer times.

freelander

The later one is at 1821 not 1621, into Fort William around 2200.
The summer weekday service is identical and I haven't seen reports of it changing.

whhistle

On Moderation
Thanks for the thoughts :)

I thought about trip to Edinburgh (stay overnight)
Edinburgh to Fort William
Fort William to Mallaig
Mallaig to Fort William (stay overnight possibly)
(or from Kyle of Loch to Glasgow)
Fort William to Inverness (stay overnight)
Inverness to London (on the direct train, one of the longest trips on rail I believe?)

I did look at Fort William to Glasgow as there wre more trains from GLC to Inverness but it still means a stay overnight in Inverness as the train leaves at 7 in the morning, so may as well stay in the (I suspect) cheaper and nicer Fort William.

The Wales trip will be much easier than this!

DuncanS

In summer if going Edinburgh to Fort William, I'd go seated sleeper - even though that's leaving Edinburgh VERY early - that, hopefully, gets you to FW in time for the stream train to Mallaig if that's your fancy.

I'd definitely do Mallaig-Skye-Kyle-Inverness as its a far more satisfying trip - just make sure to check the bus times on Skye.

I'd also maybe look into staying on Skye overnight.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The 'Skye Circular' is an absolute must and is my favourite rail journey.

Take a train to Inverness - Highland Mainline, not too shabby for starters! Stay overnight in Inverness
Take the 0855 from Inverness to Kyle of Lochlsh, arrives 1135-ish
Take the bus from Kyle of Lochalsh to Armadale - bus times do vary but more of them run during the summer months. Spectacular scenery.
Ferry from Armadale to Mallaig - several ferries during the summer months but only two a day during winter.
Train from Mallaig to Glasgow - breathtaking views.

If you take the 1815 from Mallaig it arrives Fort William at 1938 allowing a connection into the southbound sleeper departing at 1950. You can travel in the seated portion of the sleeper as far south as Glasgow Queen Street (arrives 0015-ish) or Edinburgh (arrives 0110-ish) using a 'normal' ticket. There is an earlier option from Mallaig around 1620 which gets you into Glasgow around 2100 iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.