• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trips by Bus and Coach: Your reports

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Time for another trip report and one that is a little bit different (and less easy for folks to do). I've just come back from a long weekend in Guernsey with the better half and thought I'd share our experiences of the place and its buses, having travelled over to the island by ferry.

For the uninitiated, Guernsey is the second largest of the Channel Islands, which is a bit like being the second tallest of the Seven Dwarves! It's not a large island and it has a coastline of c.23 miles. Roads are narrow and so commercial vehicles work to a general width of 2.3m. We were staying at Fermain, just outside the main town of St Peter Port (SPP).

All operations are run by CT Plus, having won a tender a few years ago. This has led to an improved bus service for the island. Older vehicles have virtually all been swept away (a handful of Darts remain) and the fleet is largely made up of Wright Streetvibes, a type I'd never experienced. The CT Plus website isn't that great and feels a bit amateurish if I'm honest. However, I managed to work out a little route around the island. We ventured out and the bus duly arrived - note that some bus stops have flags but others, it's painted BUS on the road/pavement! We caught the airport bus; even before Omicron, the requirement to wear face masks was mandatory and so we got on and trundled off. You can buy a Puffinpass but we were only using a few buses so elected to simply pay cash - actually, everything was contactless as they don't accept cash. It's a flat fare - £1 per journey, irrespective of length.

The first journey dropped us off at Le Bourg and we made the short walk to the Occupation Museum that chronicles the Nazi seizing of the island. There's some stuff that is deeply unsettling (like an extremists' wet dream) and also the detail of the deportation of various people to camps from which they never returned. It was also interesting in terms of how the islanders improvised; my other half liked the film Guernsey Literary and Pototo Peel Pie Society so she was in her element! It was a short wander to the airport which acts as a pseudo hub. Buses run every 15 mins from SPP with half terminating and others heading to points onward. The 93/94 operate via different routes to L'Eree though they interwork to form a loop so we went inland and then our 93 became a 94 and we got off at Pleinmont.

The wide bays were identified as prime landing grounds so the Germans had taken great care to fortify them as part of their Atlantic Wall; apparently, 10% of all concrete used in the Atlantic Wall was poured in Guernsey, and it was evident here with the crumbling defences. At Pleinmont, there is also a German Navy observation tower, looking very Bauhaus but it was quite a walk and wasn't open so we went to the hotel and it's excellent fish dishes for lunch! We then ventured out and after a stroll, decided to get the bus around much of the northern bit of the island. This was a bargain for £1 each and we had fantastic views of the various coastal fortifications and not just WW2 but also Elizabethan and Napoleonic measures. We skirted from bay to bay, all the time at a sedate speed - the limit is 35mph except in towns when it's 25, so these Streetvibes are hardly flogged. Mind you, the comprehensive network and flat fare doesn't result in many passengers - it was pretty quiet though expect peak season is more of a pressure though Guernsey isn't that touristy! We headed through L'Ancresse where the bus traverses a golf course to serve Pembroke Bay where the local authorities are allowing the WW2 defences to simply collapse - they say they're not natural so let them go.

The bus made its way to Vale and St Sampson, the only other commercial centre than SPP and home to Guernsey's power station! We got off here and elected to have a coffee and cake, but in truth, there's not a huge amount there. So only our 4th Streetvibe for the short trip into SPP, forming the only other main corridor of routes and perhaps this is the rub. The buses are cheap but there's a population of only c.60k. Aside from this corridor and that through Fermain to the Airport, buses operate hourly if that and finish at 8pm except on Fridays. This takes you to what is the defacto bus station (aka town terminus) on the esplanade. There's an inspectors kiosk and a proper travel office that looks very mid 1970s! We changed here for the short journey back to our hotel.

The buses are modern and there's some publicity internally, including driving jobs at £35k - don't know how that compares? The buses are fairly comfortable and even have USBs but it's all a little bit austere. In some aspects, it's not very sophisticated and even quaint. In fact, it typifies Guernsey!

Hope this was of interest

Attachments

• B3CDF2D3-CE3D-4056-B102-79A4FB8939EF.jpeg
    B3CDF2D3-CE3D-4056-B102-79A4FB8939EF.jpeg
    756.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 79AB6D99-7A91-46D9-BE71-ABCB38B30B09.jpeg
    79AB6D99-7A91-46D9-BE71-ABCB38B30B09.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 48
  • C23D614B-D60C-4EC2-8118-83E79F78C4B4.jpeg
    C23D614B-D60C-4EC2-8118-83E79F78C4B4.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 40
  • 21BCB67D-CC80-4CBE-985F-5C9B38F8F86A.jpeg
    21BCB67D-CC80-4CBE-985F-5C9B38F8F86A.jpeg
    738.1 KB · Views: 45
  • AB589427-EAD4-47A4-B87E-13BA44B95F08.jpeg
    AB589427-EAD4-47A4-B87E-13BA44B95F08.jpeg
    533.1 KB · Views: 52

RELL6L

Very nice and very different, thanks for sharing. Would love to visit both Guernsey and Jersey, I have been to both for one day each on business decades ago and also stopped off at both once (without getting off) on a cross channel crossing from Weymouth to St Malo. Looks well worth exploring and picturesque.

Was hoping to get out myself today as weather good (albeit cold) but a business meeting put paid to that. Not sure I am going to get out again this year sadly.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Very nice and very different, thanks for sharing. Would love to visit both Guernsey and Jersey, I have been to both for one day each on business decades ago and also stopped off at both once (without getting off) on a cross channel crossing from Weymouth to St Malo. Looks well worth exploring and picturesque.

Was hoping to get out myself today as weather good (albeit cold) but a business meeting put paid to that. Not sure I am going to get out again this year sadly.
I've probably got another one for the year but depends on work and Omicron....

RELL6L

I haven't ruled out another trip this year but it seems unlikely unless we have a couple of sunny days and Omicron doesn't bite too hard, December is now upon us so it is time to review the year 2021. I have managed 15 trips, given that it was impossible until mid-April this isn't a bad result, much better than 8 in 2020! Although I live in the Thames Valley a good number of these were in the north where I still have much more to see. Includes extremities of Cornwall (just), Essex, Gwynedd, Cumbria and Northumberland. These are the trips I have done, I would like to start thinking about which were the best places I visited, which were the the best sections of route and which were the best trips overall.

Trip 1 – April
Buxton, Tideswell, Castleton, Hathersage, Ladybower, Glossop, Hayfield, New Mills, Newtown, Hazel Grove, Bollington, Macclesfield, Buxton

Trip 2 – April
Betws y Coed, Cwm Penmachno, Betws y Coed, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Porthmadog, Pwllheli, Pwllheli beach circuit, Caernarvon, Llanberis, Betws y Coed

Trip 3 – April
Ashton under Lyne, Stalybridge, Hadfield, Padfield, Old Glossop, Glossop, Holmfirth, Huddersfield, Ripponden, Sowerby Bridge, Boulderclough circuit, Rochdale, Ashton under Lyne

Trip 4 – June
Rothwell, Corby, Uppingham, Stamford, Oakham, Melton Mowbray, Leicester, train to Kettering, Rothwell

Trip 5 – June
York, Easingwold, Thirsk, Northallerton, Stokesley, Middlesbrough, Seaton Carew, Hartlepool, Coxhoe, Sedgefield, Newton Aycliffe, Darlington, train to York

Trip 6 – July
Wigton, Maryport, Silloth, Carlisle, Penrith, Keswick, Wigton

Trip 7 – July
Darlington, Middlesbrough, Redcar, Saltburn, Staithes, Whitby, Guisborough, Middlesbrough, Stockton, Darlington

Trip 8 – July
Risca, train to Ebbw Vale, Tredegar, Cross Keys, Newbridge, Crumlin, Blackwood, Bargoed, Glan y Nant, Pontypridd, Llantrisant, Talbot Green, Cardiff, train to Newport, Risca

Trip 9 – August
Bovey Tracey, Moretonhampstead, Tavistock, Calstock, train to Plymouth, Totnes, Newton Abbot, Bovey Tracey

Trip 10 – September
Houghton le Spring, Durham, Consett, Hexham, Alston, Penrith, train to Carlisle, Brampton, Haltwhistle, Hexham (via Hadrians Wall / AD122), Newcastle, Houghton le Spring

Trip 11- September
Cramlington, Bedlington Red Lion, Ashington, Morpeth, Rothbury, Alnwick, Ellington, Wansbeck Hospital, Newbiggin by the Sea, Ashington, Bedlington Station, Blyth, Seaton Sluice, Whitley Bay, Cramlington

Trip 12 – September
Basildon, Rayleigh, Hullbridge, Rayleigh, Southend, Shoeburyness, Southend, Leigh on Sea, Hadleigh, Canvey Island, South Benfleet, train to Grays, Basildon

Trip 13 – October
Eynsham, Oxford, Kidlington, Woodstock, Charlbury, Witney, Bampton, Carterton, Eynsham

Trip 14 – November
St Helens, Wigan, Preston, Tarleton, Ormskirk, Liverpool, St Helens

Trip 15 – November
Aldbourne, Hungerford, Marlborough, Calne, Chippenham, Great & Little Somerford, Swindon, Aldbourne

route101

Established Member
Yesterday decided on another trip.

Used a Discovery ticket but didn't get a full day out of it.

Guildford to Redhill on Compass Travel route 32.

Pleasant run through the Surrey Hills and A25.

Redhill to Crawley on Metrobus 460.

Crawley to Brighton on Metrobus 273.

Nice run down the A23 and the villages en route.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Not quite (possibly) my last trip report of the year as a late change of plans afforded me the opportunity of a trip out, in an area that has long been a bit of a target of mine.... the netherworld of First Essex! Now, I do know North and mid Essex of old, and it was this area that I had chance to visit. I mean, I could've gone to Harlow but I've travelled there recently on an extended Herts trip and I was despondent by the time I left!

As with my usual reports, first and foremost, I hope you find it mildly entertaining and informative. Secondly, on the main First thread, First Essex has long been discussed (hence why I hoped to get over) with some strongly held views. My opinions and observations are therefore based on a limited experience, and I didn't venture into South Essex so don't know how that holds up. In addition, I don't know the fundamental mechanics of the business, nor what the new management team are up to or have to contend with; in fact, that point is more apposite given the uncertainty across the industry! Lastly, there are undoubtedly hobby horses and certain things that I focus on and perhaps certain preconceptions; I do try to be honest and fair and challenge my own views but we're all fallible. However, with those caveats in place, here goes...

Having dealt with an earlier appointment, I began the day in Great Notley, just outside Braintree, ready for the trunk 70 service to Colchester from Chelmsford. I'd checked out the usual rolling stock to discover it was usually more "mature" deckers and my first machine was no exception. I hadn't expected something so elderly but an 18yr old B7TL/ALX duly arrived. Having scanned my day m-ticket, I clambered upstairs. I'm a bit of a late advocate of the ALX as despite their years, they are still surprisingly decent machines with few rattles. This machine did indeed have that characteristic; it was certainly old and careworn inside but not so bad; seat cushions were that faded with little evidence of being threadbare. We headed through into Braintree and past the site of the former bus station/depot on Fairfield Road, around the corner from the former bus park - Braintree used to have two defacto bus stations! The former is now flats whilst the latter is being rebuilt as a proper bus station from what I can see, despite part of the site having been sold for development? We took on a reasonable load and to be fair, passenger numbers were surprisingly healthy as we picked up passengers on our way past the Flagfinders depot and onto the road to Coggeshall, a fabulous historic small town dripping with half timbered buildings where we were passed by one of the newer cascades for the route in a 2006 Gemini! The service also diverts on entering Marks Tey where I was surprised to see passengers waiting as well as First bus stop flags; most of the ones previously had been Essex CC though few had timetable cases and some in Braintree had long gone service numbers on them. Marks Tey's residents are clearly protesting about a new development (West Tey?) but in truth, it's hard to say where the place finishes and ends anyway as it merges into Copford and then Stanway, suburbs of Colchester. The latter has a large retail centre which the 70 naturally right serves, yet the bus does seem quite slow with an hour from Braintree to Colchester.

We arrived into Colchester and disgorged. In the past, there was an abhorrent bus station behind the old First depot on Queen Street. That is no more (and neither is the depot though it is still standing awaiting redevelopment) and instead, buses tend to do a loop of the town centre with layover being taken mostly on Osborne Street. I decided to have a bit of Island life and went for the 67 to West Mersea. This route heads across the Blackwater via a causeway to the island and my steed was one of some ex Scottish e300s that operate in the town. It was freezing on board (Covid rules etc) and the ambience wasn't helped by the eLeather and lack of internal advertising. This was a feature of First buses - many had NOTHING inside, not even the depressing ads asking you to check your faeces for blood or warning of domestic violence. The route takes you past Colchester Garrison and along the main road except it then heads via Monkwick and a bizarre double run where I never saw a soul; certainly, that's a route where a diversion could be removed but then again, I guess it's an anti Arriva spoiler. The weather was excellent now as we went across to the island and looped around the small town centre of West Mersea, pausing at the leisure centre that was the bus depot until 50 years ago! There was also a Hedingham vehicle laying over on a tendered route being an Omnidekka. I didn't hang about and returned straight away, enjoying the views across the River Blackwater and the tidal marshes and mudflats.

I had a little time in Colchester to explore and grab some food, as well as observe the local operators. Most odd is the presence of Ipswich Buses on some recently won tenders. Arriva is hanging in with a fairly standardised fleet of 2007/9 e200s, supplemented by older Darts with Urban 90 seats (ouch) and then newer e200s on the park and ride. It has a whiff of decay about it. Hedingham are a bit better and sprightly, having benefited from First exiting Clacton but the fleet is real mix of identities with old indie Hedingham, new Go Ahead version, ex London Red, and Konectbus yellow and blue. If I were First, I'd be enquiring to Arriva about a purchase as a defensive move but then again, First have their own issues. The fleet in Colchester is ageing, with a lot of old deckers. Some were familiar being ex Bristol stuff but they are mainly 2003-6 B7TLs. There are some newer Streetlites and more ex Scottish e300s that would really benefit from a refurb (they are 9 years old) and perhaps more of those should be sent from Glasgow in order to remove the substantial number of B7RLEs that seem to be a backbone of the country services.

One of those was my next run to Maldon via Tiptree, usually the preserve of a number of the fleet of Eclipses. This was an ex Leicester machine having been repainted a few years ago with the fuchsia front on Urban 2. It could've looked smarter as the fleetnames had been crudely removed (no T-Cut?). Internally, it had clearly had a mid life refurb having gained the lilac flecked moquette. We headed out of Colchester as the light was beginning to fade, but with a very creditable loading - we were about 2/3 full. However, the Eclipse seemed a bit lacking in power as we encountered the few hills en route to Tiptree. A road closure in Tiptree meant a circuitous route but there were no jams as we left the town. Instead, it was Maldon and Heybridge where we encountered trouble. We were already about 5 mins late on arriving at Maldon Tesco but ithe afternoon shopping rush was compounded by a full road closure into Maldon. The loop around the bus stops by the Tesco lost us another 20 mins destroying any hope of my connection in Maldon but there you go. Instead, I saw my 31X heading off as we entered Maldon.

The town itself is a pleasant place, long detached from the rail network. The last time I'd been here, the large former Eastern National depot/bus station was still standing but that's long gone. The bus depot had closed and the bus station/forecourt was used as an outstation, later moving to an industrial estate but as First retreated further, that closed. Instead, firms like Hedingham and Stephensons entered the fray and I can't help thinking that the latter must have been pleased at First giving up work like the Maldon to Witham service; from my observations, probably a route that First should never have allowed to decline and then withdraw. I grabbed a coffee at Costa, if only to charge my phone. Then I wandered out to catch my bus for the 31B to Chelmsford - an Eclipse that was new to Manchester but soon reallocated to Essex where it has spent most of its life. It hadn't had the refurb my earlier machine enjoyed, as was evident by the threadbare seat cushions; I imagine that it won't be here this time next year? We then joined the traffic heading out of town..... it took 25 mins to get to the bypass. Utter gridlock and you do have sympathy for operators in trying to operate in those conditions. Apparently, the road closure (the road over the River Chelmer) is a major gas main replacement so I don't know what was so bad on this day.

Unlike my earlier Eclipse, this was a lot more spirited and the driver did try to recoup a little of our lost time. We headed into Chelmsford enjoying some of the little bus priority that is provided. Despite it being dark now, I looked at the Chelmsford bus map to see if I could do a little of the city network.... On arriving in the bus station, it was evident that a harassed senior driver/controller was busy trying to reduce the amount of lost mileage so I quickly amended my plan to catch the 54 to Broomfield Hospital. That gave me time to look at the local fleet in Chelmsford. Oddly, fewer Darts than I expected but again, an ageing fleet of Geminis and Eclipses, a good smattering of e200s, and a few oddities. The new green livery was on show with an mmc and an Eclipse wearing it. The travel office, as in Colchester, looks permanently closed and, of course, First Essex don't provide leaflets. It's a crowded modern bus station, much smaller but much better than the old one it replaced and given it's location next to the station, it should be an exemplar of integrated transport.

I got my 54, being a 13 plate e200 (my newest bus of the day). It was a standing load. We headed off through the evening traffic and eventually, the passenger numbers dwindled with myself and another being the last ones on. Not surprising as there are many faster routes to the hospital. This was the only machine that had proper internal advertising though it looked very 2013/4 era, and referred to the now closed bus shops! Still, it wasn't a bad machine for such a route. We arrived at Broomfield and I then waited for my 70 but clearly, it wasn't tracking so assumed (rightly) that it was a no show. Instead, 15 mins later, there's a 70A. Now, I'd mentioned this corridor on here before where you'd have
  • A half hourly 70 (Chelmsford - Braintree - Colchester)
  • Superimposed would be a 42B (every 30 mins to Braintree) that was a projection of the 10 min frequency cross city 42 route (whilst one an hour would run to Dunmow and Stanstead as 42A)
  • This provided a 15 min headway to Braintree except on a Saturday where it would be hourly, so giving a 15/15/30 headway
This, to me, seemed crazy on numerous levels and I'd suggested on here that the city service should be disconnected from anything else and a simple 15 min headway from Galleywood to Broomfield seemed logical. The 42A and 42B could be then spun off as their own services. Well, the 42A has now been merged into the Essex Air Link (temporarily with air travel down?) but they have done exactly as I suggested on the 42B except it's rerouted in Braintree. I won't take much credit - it just seemed so obvious (though invoice is in the post, Piers). The 70A did arrive on time and was another tired Eclipse, originally in Manchester but a long term resident. Odd to think that some newer ones of the same batch have just become trainers!

So what of First Essex. Above all, there is some beautiful countryside in that part of Essex and I thoroughly enjoyed my trip before the light failed; I must do a summer version to fully enjoy it all and visit places that I just didn't have time to explore. Hope you enjoy some snaps even if they were at speed through a dirty window!

In terms of the future of First Essex, and with the uncertainties affecting the bus industry, it's hard to see what might happen with any certainty, and I don't know what other plans the FE management have in store. However, these are my observations:
  • The bus shop in Colchester is dead so remove the signage. Don't think there's a realistic alternative there but an unmanned bus hub in the old travel shop in Chelmsford is a possibility. And start printing timetables etc and actually promote your services
  • The new livery is an improvement but keep it for those standard services like the 70/70A or the 71 or the 88 to Halstead, or Chelmsford to Ongar. However, where there's the potential for some branding, then go for it (like the 31 corridor)
  • In Colchester, there's a decent local network and that could do with a better, stronger image - better call Stenning. As I say, a chat with Arriva about selling up might also be an idea but that will soak up management time when they have a lot to do
  • Chelmsford needs a root and branch rethink of its local network. There's too much complexity and it would really benefit from a cohesive image and simplification. I was looking at the 54 and 56 routes and struggled to pick them apart with each having more variants of concern than Covid
    • The simplification of the 42 is hopefully a foretelling of what they will do
  • Same with the 31 group of routes - I shouldn't have to contend with a 31, 31B, 31C and 31X...
  • The fleet needs updating; hopefully sending 15 year old Geminis to replace older Tridents is a stop gap measure and nothing more.
    • They need some newer fleet and perhaps something for a relaunched 62 group (Colchester to University/Wivenhoe/Brightlingsea) that is Uni-branded with more modern deckers might help even if they're only 2012 era e400s from somewhere like West of England?
    • Get some more e300s (from Glasgow?) to help clear out the phalanx of 2005 Eclipses still hanging around
    • The e200mmc that should come free from Chelmsford P&R (lost to Vectare?) can be used to reinvigorate something like the 100 through Basildon?
  • Work with Essex CC and local authorities to improve bus priority - it's desperately needed in Chelmsford but you can see the potential in places like Colchester and even Braintree; same with organisations such as the NHS or the Universities to really encourage partnership
This may seem like confirmation bias but it seemed to support much of what I'd suspected. Loadings were surprisingly decent on all my journeys but a lack of quality and too much operational complexity is soaking up too much management time. However, I think Essex is not a lost cause and as Ensign and Stephensons have shown, there is (or was) money to be made.

Hope you found this interesting (and apologies if it is rather long).... discuss!

Attachments

• 5B725D0D-C109-4C32-A6D4-65FE10FB895E.jpeg
    5B725D0D-C109-4C32-A6D4-65FE10FB895E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • AF7FBF7D-FBBD-47A5-AA14-31F89859F399.jpeg
    AF7FBF7D-FBBD-47A5-AA14-31F89859F399.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 426D18FA-6749-4EF4-A001-1D525CB9B2AB.jpeg
    426D18FA-6749-4EF4-A001-1D525CB9B2AB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 8D73BCD4-E7EC-43F9-ABF4-249845FDF878.jpeg
    8D73BCD4-E7EC-43F9-ABF4-249845FDF878.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 22
  • 93460D48-123A-4E76-8803-451313824AEA.jpeg
    93460D48-123A-4E76-8803-451313824AEA.jpeg
    602.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2F3CB13A-83E8-4D1E-B0B9-C28EBCF9B71D.jpeg
    2F3CB13A-83E8-4D1E-B0B9-C28EBCF9B71D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 844D5757-BDA7-4106-8C95-FDBCC8DC22D1.jpeg
    844D5757-BDA7-4106-8C95-FDBCC8DC22D1.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
  • BCAE8BF9-0934-4B36-9ABA-4A90C4B6DC2F.jpeg
    BCAE8BF9-0934-4B36-9ABA-4A90C4B6DC2F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 23

RELL6L

Not quite (possibly) my last trip report of the year as a late change of plans afforded me the opportunity of a trip out, in an area that has long been a bit of a target of mine.... the netherworld of First Essex! Now, I do know North and mid Essex of old, and it was this area that I had chance to visit. I mean, I could've gone to Harlow but I've travelled there recently on an extended Herts trip and I was despondent by the time I left!

As with my usual reports, first and foremost, I hope you find it mildly entertaining and informative. Secondly, on the main First thread, First Essex has long been discussed (hence why I hoped to get over) with some strongly held views. My opinions and observations are therefore based on a limited experience, and I didn't venture into South Essex so don't know how that holds up. In addition, I don't know the fundamental mechanics of the business, nor what the new management team are up to or have to contend with; in fact, that point is more apposite given the uncertainty across the industry! Lastly, there are undoubtedly hobby horses and certain things that I focus on and perhaps certain preconceptions; I do try to be honest and fair and challenge my own views but we're all fallible. However, with those caveats in place, here goes...

Having dealt with an earlier appointment, I began the day in Great Notley, just outside Braintree, ready for the trunk 70 service to Colchester from Chelmsford. I'd checked out the usual rolling stock to discover it was usually more "mature" deckers and my first machine was no exception. I hadn't expected something so elderly but an 18yr old B7TL/ALX duly arrived. Having scanned my day m-ticket, I clambered upstairs. I'm a bit of a late advocate of the ALX as despite their years, they are still surprisingly decent machines with few rattles. This machine did indeed have that characteristic; it was certainly old and careworn inside but not so bad; seat cushions were that faded with little evidence of being threadbare. We headed through into Braintree and past the site of the former bus station/depot on Fairfield Road, around the corner from the former bus park - Braintree used to have two defacto bus stations! The former is now flats whilst the latter is being rebuilt as a proper bus station from what I can see, despite part of the site having been sold for development? We took on a reasonable load and to be fair, passenger numbers were surprisingly healthy as we picked up passengers on our way past the Flagfinders depot and onto the road to Coggeshall, a fabulous historic small town dripping with half timbered buildings where we were passed by one of the newer cascades for the route in a 2006 Gemini! The service also diverts on entering Marks Tey where I was surprised to see passengers waiting as well as First bus stop flags; most of the ones previously had been Essex CC though few had timetable cases and some in Braintree had long gone service numbers on them. Marks Tey's residents are clearly protesting about a new development (West Tey?) but in truth, it's hard to say where the place finishes and ends anyway as it merges into Copford and then Stanway, suburbs of Colchester. The latter has a large retail centre which the 70 naturally right serves, yet the bus does seem quite slow with an hour from Braintree to Colchester.

We arrived into Colchester and disgorged. In the past, there was an abhorrent bus station behind the old First depot on Queen Street. That is no more (and neither is the depot though it is still standing awaiting redevelopment) and instead, buses tend to do a loop of the town centre with layover being taken mostly on Osborne Street. I decided to have a bit of Island life and went for the 67 to West Mersea. This route heads across the Blackwater via a causeway to the island and my steed was one of some ex Scottish e300s that operate in the town. It was freezing on board (Covid rules etc) and the ambience wasn't helped by the eLeather and lack of internal advertising. This was a feature of First buses - many had NOTHING inside, not even the depressing ads asking you to check your faeces for blood or warning of domestic violence. The route takes you past Colchester Garrison and along the main road except it then heads via Monkwick and a bizarre double run where I never saw a soul; certainly, that's a route where a diversion could be removed but then again, I guess it's an anti Arriva spoiler. The weather was excellent now as we went across to the island and looped around the small town centre of West Mersea, pausing at the leisure centre that was the bus depot until 50 years ago! There was also a Hedingham vehicle laying over on a tendered route being an Omnidekka. I didn't hang about and returned straight away, enjoying the views across the River Blackwater and the tidal marshes and mudflats.

I had a little time in Colchester to explore and grab some food, as well as observe the local operators. Most odd is the presence of Ipswich Buses on some recently won tenders. Arriva is hanging in with a fairly standardised fleet of 2007/9 e200s, supplemented by older Darts with Urban 90 seats (ouch) and then newer e200s on the park and ride. It has a whiff of decay about it. Hedingham are a bit better and sprightly, having benefited from First exiting Clacton but the fleet is real mix of identities with old indie Hedingham, new Go Ahead version, ex London Red, and Konectbus yellow and blue. If I were First, I'd be enquiring to Arriva about a purchase as a defensive move but then again, First have their own issues. The fleet in Colchester is ageing, with a lot of old deckers. Some were familiar being ex Bristol stuff but they are mainly 2003-6 B7TLs. There are some newer Streetlites and more ex Scottish e300s that would really benefit from a refurb (they are 9 years old) and perhaps more of those should be sent from Glasgow in order to remove the substantial number of B7RLEs that seem to be a backbone of the country services.

One of those was my next run to Maldon via Tiptree, usually the preserve of a number of the fleet of Eclipses. This was an ex Leicester machine having been repainted a few years ago with the fuchsia front on Urban 2. It could've looked smarter as the fleetnames had been crudely removed (no T-Cut?). Internally, it had clearly had a mid life refurb having gained the lilac flecked moquette. We headed out of Colchester as the light was beginning to fade, but with a very creditable loading - we were about 2/3 full. However, the Eclipse seemed a bit lacking in power as we encountered the few hills en route to Tiptree. A road closure in Tiptree meant a circuitous route but there were no jams as we left the town. Instead, it was Maldon and Heybridge where we encountered trouble. We were already about 5 mins late on arriving at Maldon Tesco but ithe afternoon shopping rush was compounded by a full road closure into Maldon. The loop around the bus stops by the Tesco lost us another 20 mins destroying any hope of my connection in Maldon but there you go. Instead, I saw my 31X heading off as we entered Maldon.

The town itself is a pleasant place, long detached from the rail network. The last time I'd been here, the large former Eastern National depot/bus station was still standing but that's long gone. The bus depot had closed and the bus station/forecourt was used as an outstation, later moving to an industrial estate but as First retreated further, that closed. Instead, firms like Hedingham and Stephensons entered the fray and I can't help thinking that the latter must have been pleased at First giving up work like the Maldon to Witham service; from my observations, probably a route that First should never have allowed to decline and then withdraw. I grabbed a coffee at Costa, if only to charge my phone. Then I wandered out to catch my bus for the 31B to Chelmsford - an Eclipse that was new to Manchester but soon reallocated to Essex where it has spent most of its life. It hadn't had the refurb my earlier machine enjoyed, as was evident by the threadbare seat cushions; I imagine that it won't be here this time next year? We then joined the traffic heading out of town..... it took 25 mins to get to the bypass. Utter gridlock and you do have sympathy for operators in trying to operate in those conditions. Apparently, the road closure (the road over the River Chelmer) is a major gas main replacement so I don't know what was so bad on this day.

Unlike my earlier Eclipse, this was a lot more spirited and the driver did try to recoup a little of our lost time. We headed into Chelmsford enjoying some of the little bus priority that is provided. Despite it being dark now, I looked at the Chelmsford bus map to see if I could do a little of the city network.... On arriving in the bus station, it was evident that a harassed senior driver/controller was busy trying to reduce the amount of lost mileage so I quickly amended my plan to catch the 54 to Broomfield Hospital. That gave me time to look at the local fleet in Chelmsford. Oddly, fewer Darts than I expected but again, an ageing fleet of Geminis and Eclipses, a good smattering of e200s, and a few oddities. The new green livery was on show with an mmc and an Eclipse wearing it. The travel office, as in Colchester, looks permanently closed and, of course, First Essex don't provide leaflets. It's a crowded modern bus station, much smaller but much better than the old one it replaced and given it's location next to the station, it should be an exemplar of integrated transport.

I got my 54, being a 13 plate e200 (my newest bus of the day). It was a standing load. We headed off through the evening traffic and eventually, the passenger numbers dwindled with myself and another being the last ones on. Not surprising as there are many faster routes to the hospital. This was the only machine that had proper internal advertising though it looked very 2013/4 era, and referred to the now closed bus shops! Still, it wasn't a bad machine for such a route. We arrived at Broomfield and I then waited for my 70 but clearly, it wasn't tracking so assumed (rightly) that it was a no show. Instead, 15 mins later, there's a 70A. Now, I'd mentioned this corridor on here before where you'd have
  • A half hourly 70 (Chelmsford - Braintree - Colchester)
  • Superimposed would be a 42B (every 30 mins to Braintree) that was a projection of the 10 min frequency cross city 42 route (whilst one an hour would run to Dunmow and Stanstead as 42A)
  • This provided a 15 min headway to Braintree except on a Saturday where it would be hourly, so giving a 15/15/30 headway
This, to me, seemed crazy on numerous levels and I'd suggested on here that the city service should be disconnected from anything else and a simple 15 min headway from Galleywood to Broomfield seemed logical. The 42A and 42B could be then spun off as their own services. Well, the 42A has now been merged into the Essex Air Link (temporarily with air travel down?) but they have done exactly as I suggested on the 42B except it's rerouted in Braintree. I won't take much credit - it just seemed so obvious (though invoice is in the post, Piers). The 70A did arrive on time and was another tired Eclipse, originally in Manchester but a long term resident. Odd to think that some newer ones of the same batch have just become trainers!

So what of First Essex. Above all, there is some beautiful countryside in that part of Essex and I thoroughly enjoyed my trip before the light failed; I must do a summer version to fully enjoy it all and visit places that I just didn't have time to explore. Hope you enjoy some snaps even if they were at speed through a dirty window!

In terms of the future of First Essex, and with the uncertainties affecting the bus industry, it's hard to see what might happen with any certainty, and I don't know what other plans the FE management have in store. However, these are my observations:
  • The bus shop in Colchester is dead so remove the signage. Don't think there's a realistic alternative there but an unmanned bus hub in the old travel shop in Chelmsford is a possibility. And start printing timetables etc and actually promote your services
  • The new livery is an improvement but keep it for those standard services like the 70/70A or the 71 or the 88 to Halstead, or Chelmsford to Ongar. However, where there's the potential for some branding, then go for it (like the 31 corridor)
  • In Colchester, there's a decent local network and that could do with a better, stronger image - better call Stenning. As I say, a chat with Arriva about selling up might also be an idea but that will soak up management time when they have a lot to do
  • Chelmsford needs a root and branch rethink of its local network. There's too much complexity and it would really benefit from a cohesive image and simplification. I was looking at the 54 and 56 routes and struggled to pick them apart with each having more variants of concern than Covid
    • The simplification of the 42 is hopefully a foretelling of what they will do
  • Same with the 31 group of routes - I shouldn't have to contend with a 31, 31B, 31C and 31X...
  • The fleet needs updating; hopefully sending 15 year old Geminis to replace older Tridents is a stop gap measure and nothing more.
    • They need some newer fleet and perhaps something for a relaunched 62 group (Colchester to University/Wivenhoe/Brightlingsea) that is Uni-branded with more modern deckers might help even if they're only 2012 era e400s from somewhere like West of England?
    • Get some more e300s (from Glasgow?) to help clear out the phalanx of 2005 Eclipses still hanging around
    • The e200mmc that should come free from Chelmsford P&R (lost to Vectare?) can be used to reinvigorate something like the 100 through Basildon?
  • Work with Essex CC and local authorities to improve bus priority - it's desperately needed in Chelmsford but you can see the potential in places like Colchester and even Braintree; same with organisations such as the NHS or the Universities to really encourage partnership
This may seem like confirmation bias but it seemed to support much of what I'd suspected. Loadings were surprisingly decent on all my journeys but a lack of quality and too much operational complexity is soaking up too much management time. However, I think Essex is not a lost cause and as Ensign and Stephensons have shown, there is (or was) money to be made.

Hope you found this interesting (and apologies if it is rather long).... discuss!

Excellent and interesting report. Not too long at all!

I am glad you have seen the delights of Coggeshall, I started a trip about 4 years ago as I had seen how attractive it was. Also West Mersea, although when I went I dropped back a trip to take time to visit the beach. And Maldon is an absolute delight. last time I went there - 2 years ago - the buses were utterly in chaos due to road works - three way lights at a crucial junction - maybe the same works! I took the bus to Heybridge Basin and walked back into Maldon on that occasion but previously had been to the most attractive part which is on the southern side of the estuary just east of the town centre, near the church. I do recommend a visit to the area in summer and continue along the 31s to Burnham on Crouch which is also delightful. The only way out is the same as the way in or on the train. Alternatively the more remote parts of the Dengie peninsula - Bradwell etc - are good but need careful planning.

Totally with you on the Braintree corridors. The 70 was every 20 minutes for a long time which provided adequate coverage both to Chelmsford and Colchester, then they reduced it and ended up with a horrible mess on the Chelmsford leg, combining city and country services like the various versions of the 42 really doesn't work. Going back further the Chelmsford leg of the 70 wasn't connected to the Colchester leg, I'm not sure there's any benefit in it being a through service since there are depots at either end and not many passengers through Braintree. But then there used to be other sections they could combine with, all of which have been given away now - Chelmsford went through to Halstead, I think it was the 352, which still survives for a few tendered journeys, and Colchester to Bishops Stortford. I have done Maldon to Witham and Witham to Braintree on Stephensons, once great Eastern National strongholds, as were the routes to Halstead and Dunmow. Stephensons seem to have carved out a good niche in the area with routes that ought to work but have been discarded by First.

Putting things together in Colchester would be a good idea, very bitty with First, Arriva and Go Ahead, but whether this could happen in the current environment - doubtful I'd say. I recall the 61 and 62 group being relaunched with relatively new deckers a few years ago with a good service to Wivenhoe and on to Alresford, although Brightlingsea was run by an independent, Cedric Coaches?, with Cummins engined Olympians that flew along. That's another small town worth a visit.

The 100 shouldn't need reinvigorating, it had a relaunch not so long ago with the Volvo 7900s running every 15 minutes through to Lakeside. But then they started nibbling away at it, now it is two separate services at a reduced frequency and more variety of vehicles on it, while the Volvo 7900s look very scruffy.

But above all Chelmsford - which ought to be good bus territory - is such a mess. Services all over the place and very complex with terrible traffic congestion in the rush hours. Needs input from local authorities as well as First. Assuming it is not profitable then it ought to be addressed soon! And without doubt there is a pressing need for a fleet refresh.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Excellent and interesting report. Not too long at all!

I am glad you have seen the delights of Coggeshall, I started a trip about 4 years ago as I had seen how attractive it was. Also West Mersea, although when I went I dropped back a trip to take time to visit the beach. And Maldon is an absolute delight. last time I went there - 2 years ago - the buses were utterly in chaos due to road works - three way lights at a crucial junction - maybe the same works! I took the bus to Heybridge Basin and walked back into Maldon on that occasion but previously had been to the most attractive part which is on the southern side of the estuary just east of the town centre, near the church. I do recommend a visit to the area in summer and continue along the 31s to Burnham on Crouch which is also delightful. The only way out is the same as the way in or on the train. Alternatively the more remote parts of the Dengie peninsula - Bradwell etc - are good but need careful planning.

Totally with you on the Braintree corridors. The 70 was every 20 minutes for a long time which provided adequate coverage both to Chelmsford and Colchester, then they reduced it and ended up with a horrible mess on the Chelmsford leg, combining city and country services like the various versions of the 42 really doesn't work. Going back further the Chelmsford leg of the 70 wasn't connected to the Colchester leg, I'm not sure there's any benefit in it being a through service since there are depots at either end and not many passengers through Braintree. But then there used to be other sections they could combine with, all of which have been given away now - Chelmsford went through to Halstead, I think it was the 352, which still survives for a few tendered journeys, and Colchester to Bishops Stortford. I have done Maldon to Witham and Witham to Braintree on Stephensons, once great Eastern National strongholds, as were the routes to Halstead and Dunmow. Stephensons seem to have carved out a good niche in the area with routes that ought to work but have been discarded by First.

Putting things together in Colchester would be a good idea, very bitty with First, Arriva and Go Ahead, but whether this could happen in the current environment - doubtful I'd say. I recall the 61 and 62 group being relaunched with relatively new deckers a few years ago with a good service to Wivenhoe and on to Alresford, although Brightlingsea was run by an independent, Cedric Coaches?, with Cummins engined Olympians that flew along. That's another small town worth a visit.

The 100 shouldn't need reinvigorating, it had a relaunch not so long ago with the Volvo 7900s running every 15 minutes through to Lakeside. But then they started nibbling away at it, now it is two separate services at a reduced frequency and more variety of vehicles on it, while the Volvo 7900s look very scruffy.

But above all Chelmsford - which ought to be good bus territory - is such a mess. Services all over the place and very complex with terrible traffic congestion in the rush hours. Needs input from local authorities as well as First. Assuming it is not profitable then it ought to be addressed soon! And without doubt there is a pressing need for a fleet refresh.
Oddly, I did see people hailing the 70A and then finding out that they were wanting a trip to past Braintree so there's definitely some cross town traffic. You're right that Chelmsford to Braintree did run through to Halstead; it was latterly the 352 but had been the 310/311 historically. Essex seems littered with those routes, as you illustrate, that First binned and in relatively recent history - seem to recall that the Braintree to Halstead and Witham went with the depot closing in 2015. There was a business there but First simply discarded it as you say, and those indies have acquired a very nice niche. I could understand them ditching Clacton but mid Essex....?

The 100 had a refresh (most of the 7900s got a repaint) but it's not all that and as you say, it's declined and operating in some quasi fashion. I'd be suggesting that they are replaced with something new or newer, and they were shifted to Chelmsford to get shot of the ageing Eclipses there. The 61/62 did get some newer B9s a few years back but think that a further injection of 6 or 7 newer deckers (e.g. 2012 e400s as an example, suitably refurbed) would allow the B9s there to replace older B7s and just crank up the marketing on those routes.

And yes, Chelmsford is a mess. It needs bus priority measures as they are limited to benefiting the P&R, as much as I could see, and the BSIP doesn't seem to address this. Moreover, you have a myriad of routes with cross-city links and I can't see how all of those are either necessary nor logical.

Next time, I'll get the multi-operator ticket (in the summer) and explore more and for longer!

The

TAS

The recent history of the Brightlingsea services is a bit complex. Since the late 1980s, Eastern National and then First (services 77 and 78) and Wivenhoe-based Cedric's (service 78X) had competed on the Colchester - Wivenhoe - Brightlingsea corridor. First stopped running Wivenhoe - Brightlingsea in 2007 and focused on Colchester - Wivenhoe (services 61 and 62). In 2012, Hedingham (service 87) started competing with Cedric's (who had moved to the A120 near Ardleigh by this point). In 2013 New Horizon Travel acquired Cedric's and renumbered their service as 78/78A, but withdrew it in 2014. In 2017, First returned to Brightlingsea by extending service 62, and Hedingham withdrew their service 87 in 2018, leaving First as the sole operator. There have been various frequency changes along the way, but I can't remember all the details and don't want to complicate things more than necessary!

RELL6L

I know that this is very self-indulgent - please forgive me - but, following on from post 35 above, I have put together a short list of ten of the most scenic sections of route I travelled on during the year. All photos taken by me from a bus during 2021. Maybe this will give someone the impetus they need to take a scenic bus in 2022!

1 The Snake Pass. This was my first trip of the year and had been top of my ‘to do’ list ever since Hulleys announced their introduction of route X57 across the pass. I felt then it was unlikely to survive and sadly this has proved to be correct. I still hope Derbyshire find a way to retain it in some form, at least in the summer. If you get a chance before it goes - take it!2 The Machno valley, between Betws y Coed and Cwm Penmachno. A sort of prologue to the main part of my second trip this early morning trip up the valley and back, the return journey with a busload of schoolkids but the outward journey empty, was just stunning. Photos probably can’t do justice to it. Now only twice a day or an Fflesci service.3 The Llanberis Pass. Later on the same trip the Snowdonia mountain scenery was amazing, this section is on the road between Llanberis and Pen y Pass. This is on the well served S2 route, parking is difficult all the way along and you have to concentrate hard on driving - so the bus is the best way to see it.4 Glossop to Holmfirth. Still in April this one day a week service was (unknown to me) about to change from running on Fridays to running on Saturdays, which would have made it even harder to sample. The relatively minor A road between these towns crosses the trunk A628 in the middle but the sections either side of that are very remote. Perhaps the best section is the highest part of the second half of the road as the scenery opens up in the direction of Holmfirth and West Yorkshire.5 Maryport to Silloth. Moving forward a couple of months I had a trip where I drove nearly 300 miles from home in the morning to Wigton in Cumbria and then took a bus to Maryport and another up the coast to Silloth. This coastal section had fantastic views across the Solway Firth to Scotland and went through the lovely village of Allonby. Difficult to do it justice with the camera as we sped along in a bouncy Solo but this gives the flavour.
2021 Best 1-5.jpg

6 Whitby to Guisborough. An easily accessible section of the X93 between Middlesbrough and Whitby the A171 across the moors is very attractive on a good day. The route is normally run by double deckers adding to the enjoyment. I think the route between Pickering and Whitby may be even more scenic but this is not bad!7 Moretonhampstead to Tavistock. Taking a break from trips to the north but sticking with recent innovations I took great pleasure in sampling the Dartmoor Explorer across the scenic section west from Moretonhampstead. As soon as a you are a couple of miles out the scenery is fantastic. The road is narrow and traffic has to watch for animals doing random things. Passengers, however, can concentrate on the scenery! Later the route passes Two Bridges, Princeton (and the prison) and Merrivale, all these parts have a slightly different character. Another trip thoroughly recommended.8 Alston to Penrith. In early September I finally got to ride one of the rarest of routes, the 888 between Hexham and Penrith which only runs between July and September, this year it didn't start until mid August. The section from Hexham to Alston is good, then we are allowed a short break in the delightful small town of Alston. But the best section follows, the Hartside Pass seemingly across the top of the Pennines, then coming down to Penrith through the delightful villages of Melmerby and Langwathby.9 Haltwhistle to Hexham via Hadrian's Wall. The AD122 route is perhaps best known for getting people to the interesting Roman features of and around Hadrian's Wall but is also used by walkers before or after walking a section of the wall. In addition the scenery from the bus is stunning, running alongside the remains of the wall for a large part of the way.10 Rothbury to Alnwick. The obscure twice-a-day route 15 between Rothbury and Alnwick passes Cragside National trust property (well worth a visit) and then heads up across beautiful Northumberland scenery with great views to the west. I am not sure what market this route serves but it is well worth a trip while it exists.
2021 Best 6-10.jpg

OK so when I drafted this the sections of text lined up perfectly with the pictures. The clever software in the forum has adjusted the column widths of the text to save wasted space, but hopefully still clear which text goes with which image! And it looks better on a computer as opposed to a phone!

Time for another trip report and one that is a little bit different (and less easy for folks to do). I've just come back from a long weekend in Guernsey with the better half and thought I'd share our experiences of the place and its buses, having travelled over to the island by ferry.

For the uninitiated, Guernsey is the second largest of the Channel Islands, which is a bit like being the second tallest of the Seven Dwarves! It's not a large island and it has a coastline of c.23 miles. Roads are narrow and so commercial vehicles work to a general width of 2.3m. We were staying at Fermain, just outside the main town of St Peter Port (SPP).

All operations are run by CT Plus, having won a tender a few years ago. This has led to an improved bus service for the island. Older vehicles have virtually all been swept away (a handful of Darts remain) and the fleet is largely made up of Wright Streetvibes, a type I'd never experienced. The CT Plus website isn't that great and feels a bit amateurish if I'm honest. However, I managed to work out a little route around the island. We ventured out and the bus duly arrived - note that some bus stops have flags but others, it's painted BUS on the road/pavement! We caught the airport bus; even before Omicron, the requirement to wear face masks was mandatory and so we got on and trundled off. You can buy a Puffinpass but we were only using a few buses so elected to simply pay cash - actually, everything was contactless as they don't accept cash. It's a flat fare - £1 per journey, irrespective of length.

The first journey dropped us off at Le Bourg and we made the short walk to the Occupation Museum that chronicles the Nazi seizing of the island. There's some stuff that is deeply unsettling (like an extremists' wet dream) and also the detail of the deportation of various people to camps from which they never returned. It was also interesting in terms of how the islanders improvised; my other half liked the film Guernsey Literary and Pototo Peel Pie Society so she was in her element! It was a short wander to the airport which acts as a pseudo hub. Buses run every 15 mins from SPP with half terminating and others heading to points onward. The 93/94 operate via different routes to L'Eree though they interwork to form a loop so we went inland and then our 93 became a 94 and we got off at Pleinmont.

The wide bays were identified as prime landing grounds so the Germans had taken great care to fortify them as part of their Atlantic Wall; apparently, 10% of all concrete used in the Atlantic Wall was poured in Guernsey, and it was evident here with the crumbling defences. At Pleinmont, there is also a German Navy observation tower, looking very Bauhaus but it was quite a walk and wasn't open so we went to the hotel and it's excellent fish dishes for lunch! We then ventured out and after a stroll, decided to get the bus around much of the northern bit of the island. This was a bargain for £1 each and we had fantastic views of the various coastal fortifications and not just WW2 but also Elizabethan and Napoleonic measures. We skirted from bay to bay, all the time at a sedate speed - the limit is 35mph except in towns when it's 25, so these Streetvibes are hardly flogged. Mind you, the comprehensive network and flat fare doesn't result in many passengers - it was pretty quiet though expect peak season is more of a pressure though Guernsey isn't that touristy! We headed through L'Ancresse where the bus traverses a golf course to serve Pembroke Bay where the local authorities are allowing the WW2 defences to simply collapse - they say they're not natural so let them go.

The bus made its way to Vale and St Sampson, the only other commercial centre than SPP and home to Guernsey's power station! We got off here and elected to have a coffee and cake, but in truth, there's not a huge amount there. So only our 4th Streetvibe for the short trip into SPP, forming the only other main corridor of routes and perhaps this is the rub. The buses are cheap but there's a population of only c.60k. Aside from this corridor and that through Fermain to the Airport, buses operate hourly if that and finish at 8pm except on Fridays. This takes you to what is the defacto bus station (aka town terminus) on the esplanade. There's an inspectors kiosk and a proper travel office that looks very mid 1970s! We changed here for the short journey back to our hotel.

The buses are modern and there's some publicity internally, including driving jobs at £35k - don't know how that compares? The buses are fairly comfortable and even have USBs but it's all a little bit austere. In some aspects, it's not very sophisticated and even quaint. In fact, it typifies Guernsey!

Hope this was of interest

Fascinating read, belated thanks for posting it; brought back memories of a holiday on Guernsey back in the late 1980s. In those days the Bristol LH was the staple fleet of the Guernseybus operation, generally ex-LT/NBC examples. The services towards St Peter Port simply showed “Town” as the destination rather than the place name. IIRC all the routes were arranged as loops, with the route number changing at the outer terminus; I can’t remember if through riding was officially permitted but we did it a couple of times on what was then the 7/8 combination. Services ended with the 1800 departures from SPP and there was nothing on Sundays.

One route out to the western side of the island required the short LHS, one of which looked suspiciously like one of the former Western National Marshall-bodied examples but the marital leash was tugged, discouraging closer investigation!

The relics of the German fortifications were indeed sobering and thought-provoking, none more so than the underground hospital at St Andrew, truly a physically and emotionally chilling place.

With the mainland UK services still in the afterglow of deregulation the whole experience of buses in Guernsey felt very much like a throwback to NBC-style rural services, “We’re having none of that new-fangled innovation stuff, thank you very much”.

317 forever

Established Member
My summary of destinations for my trips this year from north to south has been as follows:-

Edinburgh
Newcastle & Durham holiday (4 days)
Leeds & Blackburn holiday (4 days)
Greater Manchester daytrips (Stockport & Altrincham bus, North Manchester & Bolton bus & train, and East Manchester bus & tram)
Liverpool & New Brighton
Burton-on-Trent & Lichfield
Wolverhampton & Sutton Coldfield
London (Stratford, Crystal Palace & New Eltham, and Paddington & Chiswick)
Bournemouth & Poole

route101

Established Member
Another Wiltshire Rover!

Decided do another Wiltshire Rover yesterday. This time I took train from Southampton to Swindon, changing at Westbury to start proceedings. The first service was a Class 166, which is pretty much all you get on this route now. A short wait at Westbury(A new station for me) and took a GWR 158 to Swindon, this was new track for me via Melksham/Chippenham.

First bus I took was Stagecoach 55 to Chippenham, 67 plate double decker. Highlight of this route would be ex RAF Lyneham.

After an hour to look around Chippenham, I took Faresaver X31 to Bath. Got unlucky with an E200 rather than a Gemini decker. Highlight of this trip is the view coming down the valley to Box.

After a break in Bath, some of which reminds me of Edinburgh, I took the D1 from Bath to Salisbury. Surprised this route hasn't been split. This was a branded single decker. I was the only passenger that went the full distance.

Last bus of the day was the X7 from Salisbury to Southampton, a route I've done a few times now. This was an older double decker and the ride was in darkness.

Still plenty more bus routes to do on the Wiltshire Day Rover. I also have my eyes on a First West of England day rover too.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Another Wiltshire Rover!

Decided do another Wiltshire Rover yesterday. This time I took train from Southampton to Swindon, changing at Westbury to start proceedings. The first service was a Class 166, which is pretty much all you get on this route now. A short wait at Westbury(A new station for me) and took a GWR 158 to Swindon, this was new track for me via Melksham/Chippenham.

First bus I took was Stagecoach 55 to Chippenham, 67 plate double decker. Highlight of this route would be ex RAF Lyneham.

After an hour to look around Chippenham, I took Faresaver X31 to Bath. Got unlucky with an E200 rather than a Gemini decker. Highlight of this trip is the view coming down the valley to Box.

After a break in Bath, some of which reminds me of Edinburgh, I took the D1 from Bath to Salisbury. Surprised this route hasn't been split. This was a branded single decker. I was the only passenger that went the full distance.

Last bus of the day was the X7 from Salisbury to Southampton, a route I've done a few times now. This was an older double decker and the ride was in darkness.

Still plenty more bus routes to do on the Wiltshire Day Rover. I also have my eyes on a First West of England day rover too.
Glad you had a good day.

In terms of the D1, it has a long history. It was two separate routes for many years (Salisbury to Trowbridge, Trowbridge to Bath) before it was linked in the early 1980s as a through route. It continued in that manner until c.2008 as a joint service between Go South Coast and First before it was disconnected. The Warminster to Bath was retained by First whilst the Salisbury to Warminster became the 24 under GSC (emergency tender) before Hatts took it on. After a few years, First commercially extended the route back to Salisbury as the 265 and that was then rebranded as Discover D1 before they reduced it to two hourly. However, seems like the Salisbury end is now being axed again - watch this space - so you've done well to experience it.

I find the 55 to Chippenham a bit dull but surprised you thought Lyneham was the high point. I like Royal Wootton Bassett and the bit of route between there and Lyneham is pleasant enough. And yes, Bath like Edinburgh has a lot of Georgian architecture! Even better when you see it from a distance such as approaching it from somewhere like Radstock and so descending from a height.

Pleased you enjoyed your WDR

route101

Established Member
Glad you had a good day.

In terms of the D1, it has a long history. It was two separate routes for many years (Salisbury to Trowbridge, Trowbridge to Bath) before it was linked in the early 1980s as a through route. It continued in that manner until c.2008 as a joint service between Go South Coast and First before it was disconnected. The Warminster to Bath was retained by First whilst the Salisbury to Warminster became the 24 under GSC (emergency tender) before Hatts took it on. After a few years, First commercially extended the route back to Salisbury as the 265 and that was then rebranded as Discover D1 before they reduced it to two hourly. However, seems like the Salisbury end is now being axed again - watch this space - so you've done well to experience it.

I find the 55 to Chippenham a bit dull but surprised you thought Lyneham was the high point. I like Royal Wootton Bassett and the bit of route between there and Lyneham is pleasant enough. And yes, Bath like Edinburgh has a lot of Georgian architecture! Even better when you see it from a distance such as approaching it from somewhere like Radstock and so descending from a height.

Pleased you enjoyed your WDR
Yes, interesting to hear about the D1. I noticed a 55 on a bus stop in Westbury or Warminister, did the 55 extend further south or perhaps a different 55?

This thread has given me good ideas for trips!

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Yes, interesting to hear about the D1. I noticed a 55 on a bus stop in Westbury or Warminister, did the 55 extend further south or perhaps a different 55?

This thread has given me good ideas for trips!
There appears to have been a market day service from Warminster to Devizes via Heytesbury and Tilshead numbered 55, which ran until fairly recently. It seems to have been operated by Beeline who run a handful of other services in the Warminster area.

route101

Established Member
There appears to have been a market day service from Warminster to Devizes via Heytesbury and Tilshead numbered 55, which ran until fairly recently. It seems to have been operated by Beeline who run a handful of other services in the Warminster area.
I see, perhaps it was that service. Devizes will feature on my next Wiltshire Day Rover.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I see, perhaps it was that service. Devizes will feature on my next Wiltshire Day Rover.
I'd recommend virtually any route into Devizes; only the 49 from Trowbridge is perhaps relatively dull. The 2 from Salisbury traverses the plain and then comes through the Lavingtons. The 49 out to Swindon is one of my faves across the downs, and through Bishops Cannings. The service to Pewsey is also really pleasant whilst the service to Chippenham is also really good.

As for Devizes itself, the town is gorgeous. Brogans cafe is great for lunch, Caen Hill Locks is a good place to visit, and the whole town is beautiful.

RELL6L

I'd recommend virtually any route into Devizes; only the 49 from Trowbridge is perhaps relatively dull. The 2 from Salisbury traverses the plain and then comes through the Lavingtons. The 49 out to Swindon is one of my faves across the downs, and through Bishops Cannings. The service to Pewsey is also really pleasant whilst the service to Chippenham is also really good.

As for Devizes itself, the town is gorgeous. Brogans cafe is great for lunch, Caen Hill Locks is a good place to visit, and the whole town is beautiful.
I would second all of this. Devizes is an architectural gem, well worth an hour exploring. The 49 across the downs and passing Avebury is really gorgeous. One option here is to connect at Avebury onto the 42 to Marlborough or Calne.

As well as the routes TGW mentions there are also the 76, 77 and 87s which head west through the downs, to Westbury on the 87 is probably best in this direction. Also there is a 272 to Melksham - although Melksham also has some really nice buildings hidden away this is perhaps not the most scenic of routes out of Devizes.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I would second all of this. Devizes is an architectural gem, well worth an hour exploring. The 49 across the downs and passing Avebury is really gorgeous. One option here is to connect at Avebury onto the 42 to Marlborough or Calne.

As well as the routes TGW mentions there are also the 76, 77 and 87s which head west through the downs, to Westbury on the 87 is probably best in this direction. Also there is a 272 to Melksham - although Melksham also has some really nice buildings hidden away this is perhaps not the most scenic of routes out of Devizes.
If @route101 chooses to get the train to Westbury, then the 87 to Devizes is another brilliant if less frequent route as it heads under the White Horse and out through the villages like Erlestoke (where Alfred beat the Danes). Concur about the 42 from Avebury to either Calne or Marlborough. That's the problem - there are just too many fantastic places to visit and scenery to witness.

The last days of Arriva in Surrey

The last trip report for 2021 (I think) and as ever, I thought I’d share it with you and hope that you find it mildly diverting if not a little interesting. Serendipity did indeed kick in with a work appointment in SE England and some spare holiday meaning I could enjoy a day out in some very pleasant surroundings and experience the (almost) last knockings of Arriva in Surrey.

I started the day in Merrow, ditching the car and wandered out to the stop. There was a woman in the bus shelter about 5-10 metres away who then saw me, scuttled out up the road. I thought she might have been rough sleeping but she then retreated behind the shelter out of my view, and then as the bus approached, then scuttled back to the pavement to catch the bus. Very strange behaviour and at no point did I move nor was with 5 metres of her – bizarre. The 479 duly appeared and it was a Versa. I paid for my Discovery ticket ready for the day ahead. The Versa itself was fine if a little grubby and just beginning to show the requirement for a refurbishment. We headed off into the centre of Guildford.

Not knowing the potential issues for Arriva and losing drivers as closure approached (and impact on services), I’d built in some contingency and so had some time for a morning coffee. I then had chance to breathe in the majesty that is the Friary bus station, still with some remnants of National Bus signage! It’s not Harlow levels of awfulness but it is pretty terrible. The Arriva bus shop was closed last year and the whole place is just depressing though information provision is pretty decent. I was ready to head to Cranleigh as part of a plan to go via Godalming and Midhurst to reach Petersfield and Alton and so I went out for the 53 and Arriva provided an e200. This was quite an old machine but was reasonably presented internally. We headed off and not long out of Guildford, you start to travel through some very pleasant and well heeled villages like Bramley where you cross the railbed of the former Cranleigh rail line that is often mooted for reopening. We had a good load into Cranleigh where I had time for another coffee and wait for the 0902 Compass Bus 42 to Godalming. This is where calamity struck – it didn’t arrive. Evidently, it must have had an issue as it started down the route, and at this point, there is a 45 min gap in the services to Guildford so my stay in Cranleigh was extended somewhat. Still, I had time to replan things.

I decided to return to Guildford and my next Arriva bus was another Versa. This was more careworn and really was beginning to look shabby inside with increasingly threadbare cushions and some mismatching also evident. We made reasonable time back to Guildford despite frantically picking and depositing passengers (it was prime twirly pass time), passing the former Cranleigh depot site at Manfield Park and then back to the Friary in Guildford. Passing up the chance of the scenic 46 to Farnham via Godalming, I decided to take the 65 to Alton. It arrived on time and I was happy to have a Trident though this was quite an elderly machine and it too was looking rather shonky inside. In fact, compared to the slightly older First ALX I had two weeks ago, I’d suggest that the Stagecoach machine was rougher. We left past the station and I noted the faded bus stops en route that mention the Guildford Rail Zone – I always feel that bus/rail integration in SE England could be better marketed and stop commuters from bringing in cars into towns for their onward leg to London (or wherever). We climbed out of Guildford and the view over the area is superb. Great views afforded of the Cathedral but also across the wider area including Woking which looks like a very odd, mini Canary Wharf development in the middle of nowhere. The Trident climbed up onto the Hogs Back and we then followed the A31 with excellent views of Surrey and Hampshire. We dived into Farnham – a pleasant town that is being ravaged by uninspiring development on the edge of the town centre. Then we were back out and dropping in and out of the A31 until we reached Alton. This was the undoubted highlight of the day, and I can definitely recommend the 65 for some glorious views even on a slightly dull winters’ day.

The 65 used to be a through route (64, and earlier 214?) from Guildford to Winchester before being split at Alton but you can still connect and an e400mmc in the new livery was indeed waiting at Alton Station. I got off in the quaint town centre and went for a caffeine fix. I popped into Caffe Nero and then a second bizarre interaction after my earlier Merrow incident. Walking through and appropriately masked up, I found a discreet two seat table with a plug socket so I could charge my phone. The woman at the next table had her back to me but turned round and asked if I was “boosted”. I replied “not yet” so she then frantically drained her coffee cup, packed away her tablet and sprinted out. I’m comfortable that some people are more or less Covid fearful but it seemed an extreme reaction.

I wandered out ready for my next machine, and the 13 to Haslemere. This was a strange route and now runs at a higher frequency than it historically did. My steed was a former Winchester e300 with non-functioning air con and it was a comfortable machine as we climbed through the hills and scrubby common areas to Bordon, a town without a heart and built around the military, and then to Liphook as we made our way through wooded spots. We then headed into West Sussex for a few miles and the village of Hammer (yes, Hammertime did enter my head) and then into Haslemere. Haslemere is a well off commuter town with the name translated from the Saxon, town of the closed banks; I joke but in the centre, there were three former banks, all closed and awaiting new uses. I had a short time to wait for the next bus – the 19 to Aldershot.

Haslemere used to play host to a Stagecoach outstation at the railway station, and used to have a nearby Alder Valley depot at Hindhead that after closure was a reclamation business but is now housing. Stagecoach still maintain a good network despite the obvious affluence of the area though the 19 is perhaps a weaker route than others and so it runs with some more mature Darts of which I had one. It passes Haslemere Station, with its extended car parking, and then out via Hindhead to Beacon Hill and some very prestigious housing before affording some fine views as we dropped back into Farnham. The 19 forms a corridor of routes from there to Aldershot; a place I’d not visited for a while and which looks down at heel for a place in Southern England. We arrived into the bus station after a spirited journey.

Now, I don’t think I’ve ever been to Aldershot bus station. It’s a very compact facility ideally located next to the rail station but looking down at heel. The travel office has, in line with Stagecoach policy, been closed. It all looks very tired yet I suspect it dates from the mid 1990s? Mind you, I understand that it is about to be redeveloped in 2022, with flats to be built on it and a few bus shelters plonked up instead on the station approach. I didn’t linger – there’s not much to entrance you in Aldershot and so I grabbed the days’ new bus, one of the Gold standard e400mmc. These are excellent machines, well appointed and comfortable albeit strangely luxurious for what is an otherwise urban route as we head across the Blackwater Valley. It was quite interesting to see the new housing developments (but lack of decent bus infrastructure) going up and the military infrastructure of the North Camp. Then into Farnborough (dull) before serving the train station – a decent bit of rail/bus integration here but still masses of car parking. Then via Frimley pausing only to marvel at the El Chapo barber shop – always good to have a haircut in a place named after a brutal drug lord! We then arrived into Camberley; to be honest, it is distinctly uninteresting.

I was deposited on the road by the station and had a short wait for my Arriva 34 back towards Guildford. It duly arrived in the shape of another Versa rather than a hoped for Citaro. This was a very grubby machine; peeling internal notices and ingrained dirt. It went ok and like most Optares, was relatively rattle free but it really needed a deep clean. The light was fading so perhaps I didn’t see the area in it’s most prepossessing form….or maybe I did. I’d venture there are few more boring routes than the 34 as we trundled through Lightwater, orbited the Sainsbury’s at Knaphill, and then went through Woking. No wonder The Jam were so angst ridden; I find Woking to be a very disappointing place despite the shiny tall buildings shooting up. Not everywhere can be chintzy little England, like Alton, but it feels like utterly charmless. We left there with a near full load and then trundled some more before entering Guildford. I bailed earlier and wandered to Leas Road and a last look at the depot.

It was then a bracing walk to the bus station. Eschewing the charms of a newish White Bus e200mmc, I instead grabbed another coffee and got the Arriva 37; it was another Versa (4 for the day), still proudly with Maidstone area adverts inside. Perhaps it’ll head back there?

All in all, it was a good day, despite my Compass Bus no show. Stagecoach must be very pleased that they are steaming into Guildford and getting some decent routes (even with depleted ridership) without having to pay a penny. The consequence of a well thought, well executed strategy against an incumbent that has made terrible decisions almost since its inception. One point though – it would be easy for Arriva and its drivers to have walked away and allowed service delivery to disappear but every bus appeared and was on time, and for that and in these times, you have to give credit. After 23 years, or 89 as the destinations proclaimed, that’s the end for Arriva in Surrey.

Attachments

• EC0AFB0A-8448-4350-A439-4DB8FD4E59DF.jpeg
    EC0AFB0A-8448-4350-A439-4DB8FD4E59DF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 3F9731B0-23DD-4006-84B6-654F9079231A.jpeg
    3F9731B0-23DD-4006-84B6-654F9079231A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 48129EA6-5E86-45DA-92D2-9DD59FC501E9.jpeg
    48129EA6-5E86-45DA-92D2-9DD59FC501E9.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 7FDC36A4-A228-4E18-9A2D-6AE9F794DC48.jpeg
    7FDC36A4-A228-4E18-9A2D-6AE9F794DC48.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 0AA55E94-DD16-45AE-AEFA-A4C2FB889634.jpeg
    0AA55E94-DD16-45AE-AEFA-A4C2FB889634.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 08878492-ADDD-47BA-A498-BCC69D2FDD5A.jpeg
    08878492-ADDD-47BA-A498-BCC69D2FDD5A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • 6C41D2F2-DC38-40C1-A84C-710A01DD6266.jpeg
    6C41D2F2-DC38-40C1-A84C-710A01DD6266.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 28
  • A9D4B9F2-37A7-4E41-B184-4E767B2E8566.jpeg
    A9D4B9F2-37A7-4E41-B184-4E767B2E8566.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
  • C55513BC-0265-4751-AB5C-CED264A636E7.jpeg
    C55513BC-0265-4751-AB5C-CED264A636E7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:

route101

Established Member
If @route101 chooses to get the train to Westbury, then the 87 to Devizes is another brilliant if less frequent route as it heads under the White Horse and out through the villages like Erlestoke (where Alfred beat the Danes). Concur about the 42 from Avebury to either Calne or Marlborough. That's the problem - there are just too many fantastic places to visit and scenery to witness.

The last trip report for 2021 (I think) and as ever, I thought I’d share it with you and hope that you find it mildly diverting if not a little interesting. Serendipity did indeed kick in with a work appointment in SE England and some spare holiday meaning I could enjoy a day out in some very pleasant surroundings and experience the (almost) last knockings of Arriva in Surrey.

I started the day in Merrow, ditching the car and wandered out to the stop. There was a woman in the bus shelter about 5-10 metres away who then saw me, scuttled out up the road. I thought she might have been rough sleeping but she then retreated behind the shelter out of my view, and then as the bus approached, then scuttled back to the pavement to catch the bus. Very strange behaviour and at no point did I move nor was with 5 metres of her – bizarre. The 479 duly appeared and it was a Versa. I paid for my Discovery ticket ready for the day ahead. The Versa itself was fine if a little grubby and just beginning to show the requirement for a refurbishment. We headed off into the centre of Guildford.

Not knowing the potential issues for Arriva and losing drivers as closure approached (and impact on services), I’d built in some contingency and so had some time for a morning coffee. I then had chance to breathe in the majesty that is the Friary bus station, still with some remnants of National Bus signage! It’s not Harlow levels of awfulness but it is pretty terrible. The Arriva bus shop was closed last year and the whole place is just depressing though information provision is pretty decent. I was ready to head to Cranleigh as part of a plan to go via Godalming and Midhurst to reach Petersfield and Alton and so I went out for the 53 and Arriva provided an e200. This was quite an old machine but was reasonably presented internally. We headed off and not long out of Guildford, you start to travel through some very pleasant and well heeled villages like Bramley where you cross the railbed of the former Cranleigh rail line that is often mooted for reopening. We had a good load into Cranleigh where I had time for another coffee and wait for the 0902 Compass Bus 42 to Godalming. This is where calamity struck – it didn’t arrive. Evidently, it must have had an issue as it started down the route, and at this point, there is a 45 min gap in the services to Guildford so my stay in Cranleigh was extended somewhat. Still, I had time to replan things.

I decided to return to Guildford and my next Arriva bus was another Versa. This was more careworn and really was beginning to look shabby inside with increasingly threadbare cushions and some mismatching also evident. We made reasonable time back to Guildford despite frantically picking and depositing passengers (it was prime twirly pass time), passing the former Cranleigh depot site at Manfield Park and then back to the Friary in Guildford. Passing up the chance of the scenic 46 to Farnham via Godalming, I decided to take the 65 to Alton. It arrived on time and I was happy to have a Trident though this was quite an elderly machine and it too was looking rather shonky inside. In fact, compared to the slightly older First ALX I had two weeks ago, I’d suggest that the Stagecoach machine was rougher. We left past the station and I noted the faded bus stops en route that mention the Guildford Rail Zone – I always feel that bus/rail integration in SE England could be better marketed and stop commuters from bringing in cars into towns for their onward leg to London (or wherever). We climbed out of Guildford and the view over the area is superb. Great views afforded of the Cathedral but also across the wider area including Woking which looks like a very odd, mini Canary Wharf development in the middle of nowhere. The Trident climbed up onto the Hogs Back and we then followed the A31 with excellent views of Surrey and Hampshire. We dived into Farnham – a pleasant town that is being ravaged by uninspiring development on the edge of the town centre. Then we were back out and dropping in and out of the A31 until we reached Alton. This was the undoubted highlight of the day, and I can definitely recommend the 65 for some glorious views even on a slightly dull winters’ day.

The 65 used to be a through route (64, and earlier 214?) from Guildford to Winchester before being split at Alton but you can still connect and an e400mmc in the new livery was indeed waiting at Alton Station. I got off in the quaint town centre and went for a caffeine fix. I popped into Caffe Nero and then a second bizarre interaction after my earlier Merrow incident. Walking through and appropriately masked up, I found a discreet two seat table with a plug socket so I could charge my phone. The woman at the next table had her back to me but turned round and asked if I was “boosted”. I replied “not yet” so she then frantically drained her coffee cup, packed away her tablet and sprinted out. I’m comfortable that some people are more or less Covid fearful but it seemed an extreme reaction.

I wandered out ready for my next machine, and the 13 to Haslemere. This was a strange route and now runs at a higher frequency than it historically did. My steed was a former Winchester e300 with non-functioning air con and it was a comfortable machine as we climbed through the hills and scrubby common areas to Bordon, a town without a heart and built around the military, and then to Liphook as we made our way through wooded spots. We then headed into West Sussex for a few miles and the village of Hammer (yes, Hammertime did enter my head) and then into Haslemere. Haslemere is a well off commuter town with the name translated from the Saxon, town of the closed banks; I joke but in the centre, there were three former banks, all closed and awaiting new uses. I had a short time to wait for the next bus – the 19 to Aldershot.

Haslemere used to play host to a Stagecoach outstation at the railway station, and used to have a nearby Alder Valley depot at Hindhead that after closure was a reclamation business but is now housing. Stagecoach still maintain a good network despite the obvious affluence of the area though the 19 is perhaps a weaker route than others and so it runs with some more mature Darts of which I had one. It passes Haslemere Station, with its extended car parking, and then out via Hindhead to Beacon Hill and some very prestigious housing before affording some fine views as we dropped back into Farnham. The 19 forms a corridor of routes from there to Aldershot; a place I’d not visited for a while and which looks down at heel for a place in Southern England. We arrived into the bus station after a spirited journey.

Now, I don’t think I’ve ever been to Aldershot bus station. It’s a very compact facility ideally located next to the rail station but looking down at heel. The travel office has, in line with Stagecoach policy, been closed. It all looks very tired yet I suspect it dates from the mid 1990s? Mind you, I understand that it is about to be redeveloped in 2022, with flats to be built on it and a few bus shelters plonked up instead on the station approach. I didn’t linger – there’s not much to entrance you in Aldershot and so I grabbed the days’ new bus, one of the Gold standard e400mmc. These are excellent machines, well appointed and comfortable albeit strangely luxurious for what is an otherwise urban route as we head across the Blackwater Valley. It was quite interesting to see the new housing developments (but lack of decent bus infrastructure) going up and the military infrastructure of the North Camp. Then into Farnborough (dull) before serving the train station – a decent bit of rail/bus integration here but still masses of car parking. Then via Frimley pausing only to marvel at the El Chapo barber shop – always good to have a haircut in a place named after a brutal drug lord! We then arrived into Camberley; to be honest, it is distinctly uninteresting.

I was deposited on the road by the station and had a short wait for my Arriva 34 back towards Guildford. It duly arrived in the shape of another Versa rather than a hoped for Citaro. This was a very grubby machine; peeling internal notices and ingrained dirt. It went ok and like most Optares, was relatively rattle free but it really needed a deep clean. The light was fading so perhaps I didn’t see the area in it’s most prepossessing form….or maybe I did. I’d venture there are few more boring routes than the 34 as we trundled through Lightwater, orbited the Sainsbury’s at Knaphill, and then went through Woking. No wonder The Jam were so angst ridden; I find Woking to be a very disappointing place despite the shiny tall buildings shooting up. Not everywhere can be chintzy little England, like Alton, but it feels like utterly charmless. We left there with a near full load and then trundled some more before entering Guildford. I bailed earlier and wandered to Leas Road and a last look at the depot.

It was then a bracing walk to the bus station. Eschewing the charms of a newish White Bus e200mmc, I instead grabbed another coffee and got the Arriva 37; it was another Versa (4 for the day), still proudly with Maidstone area adverts inside. Perhaps it’ll head back there?

All in all, it was a good day, despite my Compass Bus no show. Stagecoach must be very pleased that they are steaming into Guildford and getting some decent routes (even with depleted ridership) without having to pay a penny. The consequence of a well thought, well executed strategy against an incumbent that has made terrible decisions almost since its inception. One point though – it would be easy for Arriva and its drivers to have walked away and allowed service delivery to disappear but every bus appeared and was on time, and for that and in these times, you have to give credit. After 23 years, or 89 as the destinations proclaimed, that’s the end for Arriva in Surrey.

Great trip report. I was in Guildford a few weeks ago and seen plenty of Arriva. I have only done the Winchester to Alton bus, I have plans to take the Alton to Guildford bus.

Yes, I noticed the skyline of Woking, you can see the town from quite afar.

Today for me, was another trip! Cloudy start but the sun came out, was almost springlike.

Southampton to Gosport X5.

Decided to reach Portsmouth via Gosport as I haven't been this way nor been on the Gosport Ferry. The 0745 X5 is the first one of the day to Gosport was one of them uninspiring streetlites (Does anyone like them?)

I have done the X4 to Portsmouth before but my first time on the x5, the X5 and X4 follow each other until Fareham with a few exceptions. Fareham bus station looks down at a heel and I noted a London bound National Express.

I suppose the highlight of the X5 was Lee on Solent. At Gosport I rushed to the ferry only to find one had just departed. Ferry across to Portsmouth offered some great views albeit a short crossing.

Portsmouth to Havant 23

I swapped First for Stagecoach at the Hard Interchange which is a pleasant facility with free toilets. The 23 is the most frequent route between Portsmouth and Havant. Not the most interesting route but will try the 20 and 21 the next time.

Havant to Petersfield 37

Took a break in busy Havant. Next up was the 37 to Petersfield which was operated by a E400. Glad to get a double decker by this point. Highlight of this route was joining the A3 at Clanfield cutting through the South Downs.

Petersfield to Chichester 54

I was originally going to head to Midhurst then head down to Chichester. I will do that route along with the 67 from Winchester another day. The 54 is a pleasant run on the B roads into West Sussex ( Is there a difference in accent from Sussex to Hampshire?).

Chichester to Portsmouth 700

Took the 700 to Portsmouth and was treated to a brand new E400mmc. Great sunset on the way back.

Portsmouth to Southampton X4

As I had a dayticket I took the last Southampton bus at 1702. Another streetlite, I have seen double deckers out on the X4/x5 but is pretty rare.

A great day out, perhaps next time I will get to Midhurst, Hayling Island and try the E1/E2 routes around Gosport.

RELL6L

Thanks for your interesting report. Credit to Arriva for running their services through to the end, it would have been easy for them to fall apart. Some good places but not very good bus territory, probably survives in part on school and college runs. Guildford itself is reasonably pleasant but the bus station is a real throwback, mind you I remember it’s predecessor, was it Onslow Street? It will be interesting to see what Stagecoach make of it now, I imagine staffing will be a challenge.

Still trying to work out the significance of the first photo..:?

Great trip report. I was in Guildford a few weeks ago and seen plenty of Arriva. I have only done the Winchester to Alton bus, I have plans to take the Alton to Guildford bus.

Yes, I noticed the skyline of Woking, you can see the town from quite afar.

Today for me, was another trip! Cloudy start but the sun came out, was almost springlike.

Southampton to Gosport X5.

Decided to reach Portsmouth via Gosport as I haven't been this way nor been on the Gosport Ferry. The 0745 X5 is the first one of the day to Gosport was one of them uninspiring streetlites (Does anyone like them?)

I have done the X4 to Portsmouth before but my first time on the x5, the X5 and X4 follow each other until Fareham with a few exceptions. Fareham bus station looks down at a heel and I noted a London bound National Express.

I suppose the highlight of the X5 was Lee on Solent. At Gosport I rushed to the ferry only to find one had just departed. Ferry across to Portsmouth offered some great views albeit a short crossing.

Portsmouth to Havant 23

I swapped First for Stagecoach at the Hard Interchange which is a pleasant facility with free toilets. The 23 is the most frequent route between Portsmouth and Havant. Not the most interesting route but will try the 20 and 21 the next time.

Havant to Petersfield 37

Took a break in busy Havant. Next up was the 37 to Petersfield which was operated by a E400. Glad to get a double decker by this point. Highlight of this route was joining the A3 at Clanfield cutting through the South Downs.

Petersfield to Chichester 54

I was originally going to head to Midhurst then head down to Chichester. I will do that route along with the 67 from Winchester another day. The 54 is a pleasant run on the B roads into West Sussex ( Is there a difference in accent from Sussex to Hampshire?).

Chichester to Portsmouth 700

Took the 700 to Portsmouth and was treated to a brand new E400mmc. Great sunset on the way back.

Portsmouth to Southampton X4

As I had a dayticket I took the last Southampton bus at 1702. Another streetlite, I have seen double deckers out on the X4/x5 but is pretty rare.

A great day out, perhaps next time I will get to Midhurst, Hayling Island and try the E1/E2 routes around Gosport.
You have done several trips recently- good for you. There are some scenic places and routes around you. The 54 from Petersfield to Chichester is really good. As you say another time you can go Winchester, Petersfield, Midhurst then you can go on the Worthing or back down to Chichester. If you do Hayling Island - which is OK- try and make time to visit Emsworth and drop back a journey on the 700 to nip down to the water front, it is attractive as is the village generally- more so than Havant in my opinion. Another time Fareham to Winchester on the 69, usually a decker, is a good run. Keep reporting!

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Thanks for your interesting report. Credit to Arriva for running their services through to the end, it would have been easy for them to fall apart. Some good places but not very good bus territory, probably survives in part on school and college runs. Guildford itself is reasonably pleasant but the bus station is a real throwback, mind you I remember it’s predecessor, was it Onslow Street? It will be interesting to see what Stagecoach make of it now, I imagine staffing will be a challenge.

Still trying to work out the significance of the first photo..:?

You have done several trips recently- good for you. There are some scenic places and routes around you. The 54 from Petersfield to Chichester is really good. As you say another time you can go Winchester, Petersfield, Midhurst then you can go on the Worthing or back down to Chichester. If you do Hayling Island - which is OK- try and make time to visit Emsworth and drop back a journey on the 700 to nip down to the water front, it is attractive as is the village generally- more so than Havant in my opinion. Another time Fareham to Winchester on the 69, usually a decker, is a good run. Keep reporting!

Yes Guildford Bus Station is retro. I reckon its late 70s or 80s.

I have been lucky with the weather on my Saturday outings, I work very hard all week so getting out and about is what I need.

Yes, Hayling Island is now on the list along with Selsey! I have done the 69 and is a pleasant run indeed. Probably no trips for a few weeks now due to Xmas and New Year. Emsworth looks pretty, right on the border too.

duncombec

The Arriva bus shop was closed last year and the whole place is just depressing though information provision is pretty decent.
I believe the information at the stops is provided by Surrey County Council in the main, although there seems to be some operator provision. The travel shop did indeed close last year, although the "dragon lady" who ran it didn't necessarily provide the greatest advert for their services anyway...

We had a good load into Cranleigh where I had time for another coffee and wait for the 0902 Compass Bus 42 to Godalming. This is where calamity struck – it didn’t arrive. Evidently, it must have had an issue as it started down the route, and at this point, there is a 45 min gap in the services to Guildford so my stay in Cranleigh was extended somewhat. Still, I had time to replan things.
Presuming 15th December was the day in question, Compass did actually tweet about it: https://twitter.com/compassbus/status/1471032168893894662. Although as with all social media, you actually have to know this is the sort of thing they tweet about, and have access to the relevant platforms, in time, for it to be of much use.

Now, I don’t think I’ve ever been to Aldershot bus station. It’s a very compact facility ideally located next to the rail station but looking down at heel. The travel office has, in line with Stagecoach policy, been closed.
The travel office here has been closed for some time. It's purely from memory, but I think this was another case of a one-woman operation, and when she retired it closed with her. From what i remember of my one solitary visit to Aldershot on an arranged trip (when it was closed - 2018, maybe?), it only opened on certain days of the week even then.

The Versas have made their way to Essex. We have a former Colchester Park & Ride vehicle in service here. The outside is fully repainted into "insipid blue" (see my thread on paint colours... what is the new shade called?), but the inside contains a full set of advertisements for Essex fostering, Colchester Park & Ride and Essex County Council, all of which will be of great interest to the residents of the Medway Towns!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Presuming 15th December was the day in question, Compass did actually tweet about it: https://twitter.com/compassbus/status/1471032168893894662. Although as with all social media, you actually have to know this is the sort of thing they tweet about, and have access to the relevant platforms, in time, for it to be of much use.
No - it was Thursday not Wednesday. Perhaps it has been a regular workaround? I certainly wasn't the only person caught out
The Versas have made their way to Essex. We have a former Colchester Park & Ride vehicle in service here. The outside is fully repainted into "insipid blue" (see my thread on paint colours... what is the new shade called?), but the inside contains a full set of advertisements for Essex fostering, Colchester Park & Ride and Essex County Council, all of which will be of great interest to the residents of the Medway Towns!
I did wonder if the Versas would head there or to Kent. The lack of attention to detail in Arriva interiors is a joy to behold - the e200 that I had from Maidstone to Sittingbourne was one of the worst examples I've seen for many a year!

Thanks for the information about the travel offices too; for some reason, I can recall a few places where the people in situ were as friendly as a scrap dealer's dog. Oh, and some nice people too!

Yes Guildford Bus Station is retro. I reckon its late 70s or 80s.

I have been lucky with the weather on my Saturday outings, I work very hard all week so getting out and about is what I need.

Yes, Hayling Island is now on the list along with Selsey! I have done the 69 and is a pleasant run indeed. Probably no trips for a few weeks now due to Xmas and New Year. Emsworth looks pretty, right on the border too.
I wish you luck on those. Been a while since I was down that part of the world and, to be honest, West Sussex is an area I've not really explored so pretty jealous.

The Friary Shopping Centre opened in 1980 so reckon that's your date. It really is one of the those places caught in time; given the land opposite etc, I suspect the whole area is due for redevelopment.

Last edited:

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Well, did an Italian one for a change (finally!).

Went to Rome by train from a station near my village when I'm there. A rather cloudy day, but not too bad (no rain at least - unlike in the UK)!

I started the day in Termini railway station (main station of Rome), first catching a 223 towards La Giustiniana (2607 - MenariniBus Citymood 12). Not too bad, goes through very nice areas and can get some nice views.

Then a 303 to Prima Porta (265 - Iveco Daily Indcar Mobi). Now my favourite bus route in Rome, the route is absolutely stunning with beautiful views. And very rural too, the 303 makes you hard to believe that it's a Rome city bus route!

Before doing the next route of the day, the 200 to Mancini. I stopped for lunch, and had a delicious sausage/mushroom/cheese calzone. It was delicious (after all, we Italians don't joke with food!). Now for the 200, I first had 3374 (Iveco Urbanway 12). But when I was filming a timelapse, I had the extremely rare encounter of a driver claiming that filming was not allowed (usual bs). So at the next stop, got off and walked back to the terminus where I then finally filmed the timalapse of the 200 (albeit on 2625 - MenariniBus Citymood 12). 200 is alright but not really interesting.

And then, the 280 to Partigiani (505 - Irisbus Citelis 18). Lovely route, you can see Vatican City on it, and some lovely sections of the Tiber river too!

After that, to conclude my bus trip, the 77 to San Giovanni. Now this route is a rather interesting one, in that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ATAC (the public transport company in Rome) has subcontracted some least used routes to independent companies (so that their own buses can be used on the most frequent routes in order to aid with social distancing etc.). The 77 is in fact one of these, currently subcontracted to Calabresi and Reali Tours, and I had a Tourismo 10m coach on what is a 7-8 km city bus route! Nice sounding with manual gearbox, but completely unsuitable to a city route like the 77.

So yes, a lovely day today. So nice to finally be doing bus trips in Italy after so long (due to Covid restrictions).

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Well, did an Italian one for a change (finally!).

Went to Rome by train from a station near my village when I'm there. A rather cloudy day, but not too bad (no rain at least - unlike in the UK)!

I started the day in Termini railway station (main station of Rome), first catching a 223 towards La Giustiniana (2607 - MenariniBus Citymood 12). Not too bad, goes through very nice areas and can get some nice views.

Then a 303 to Prima Porta (265 - Iveco Daily Indcar Mobi). Now my favourite bus route in Rome, the route is absolutely stunning with beautiful views. And very rural too, the 303 makes you hard to believe that it's a Rome city bus route!

Before doing the next route of the day, the 200 to Mancini. I stopped for lunch, and had a delicious sausage/mushroom/cheese calzone. It was delicious (after all, we Italians don't joke with food!). Now for the 200, I first had 3374 (Iveco Urbanway 12). But when I was filming a timelapse, I had the extremely rare encounter of a driver claiming that filming was not allowed (usual bs). So at the next stop, got off and walked back to the terminus where I then finally filmed the timalapse of the 200 (albeit on 2625 - MenariniBus Citymood 12). 200 is alright but not really interesting.

And then, the 280 to Partigiani (505 - Irisbus Citelis 18). Lovely route, you can see Vatican City on it, and some lovely sections of the Tiber river too!

After that, to conclude my bus trip, the 77 to San Giovanni. Now this route is a rather interesting one, in that due to the COVID-19 pandemic, ATAC (the public transport company in Rome) has subcontracted some least used routes to independent companies (so that their own buses can be used on the most frequent routes in order to aid with social distancing etc.). The 77 is in fact one of these, currently subcontracted to Calabresi and Reali Tours, and I had a Tourismo 10m coach on what is a 7-8 km city bus route! Nice sounding with manual gearbox, but completely unsuitable to a city route like the 77.

So yes, a lovely day today. So nice to finally be doing bus trips in Italy after so long (due to Covid restrictions).
Well, that's certainly a bit more intriguing than my getting stuck in Cranleigh @SouthEastBuses. Very interesting to hear that the challenges that we experience in the UK are similarly experienced in Italy.

And to think I thought that seeing Guildford Cathedral and distant Woking was a high point, whilst you're looking at the Vatican and the Tiber.... Seriously, thank you for sharing. It was a brief but interesting report.