• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Triumphs and disasters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeststop

A great journey from Inverness to York last Saturday on East Coast (forget the Virgin; Virgin as a conglomerate lost it for me years ago) Great staff, great journey. ScotRail out of Inverness: Two Journeys made, firstly from Inverness to Kyle and back; Return to Dunrobin Castle and back; fantastic staff at Inverness and on board the train. Journeys around Manchester good, and again on board the trains both Trans Pennine and Northern, the staff were suberb. (Ok can't say much about the buses on rails)

Bad side: Blackpool Pleasure Beach 19:00 on the 25th August. 70+ punters waiting for a service to Preston and onwards to Colne...... No information, no staff, no loudspeakers, nothing to warn passengers that services had been cancelled for the day. I was lucky in noticing that the train due to Blackpool South was over 15L at Preston, courtesy of realrailtimes. Partner and I decided to taxi it to Blackpool North to connect to Piccadilly via Preston. One is left with the thought of the other passengers, elderly, young families with fractious children, youngsters out for a night in Preston/Manchester who had no idea what was going on. Poor points to the operator there.

Another good side. Staff in the ticket office at Piccadilly who worked hard for my partner and I (We live in Thailand) to get a Two for One Railcard and literally worked their socks off to arrange the pass.

Staff at Bristol TM who helped out with ticketing issues we had, and were polite, patient, and efficient, and who warmed to our thanks.

Finally, and I think this doesn't happen often, to the staff on board the train from 12:07 Piccadilly to Exeter 0n the 26th (Wednesday); Superb service and to the Train "manager" who kept us informed about the delays at Kings Norton. I know XC get it in the neck most of the time but that journey the train staff could not be faulted. I think it needs to be said sometimes that they were really good.

Sometimes the staff on-board get it in the neck; the people who deserve it the most are the unseen, uncaring management.

A few more journeys to be made over the next 10 days I hope, more triumphs than "upsets". I'll be reporting.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
A great journey from Inverness to York last Saturday on East Coast (forget the Virgin; Virgin as a conglomerate lost it for me years ago) Great staff, great journey. ScotRail out of Inverness: Two Journeys made, firstly from Inverness to Kyle and back; Return to Dunrobin Castle and back; fantastic staff at Inverness and on board the train. Journeys around Manchester good, and again on board the trains both Trans Pennine and Northern, the staff were suberb. (Ok can't say much about the buses on rails)

Bad side: Blackpool Pleasure Beach 19:00 on the 25th August. 70+ punters waiting for a service to Preston and onwards to Colne...... No information, no staff, no loudspeakers, nothing to warn passengers that services had been cancelled for the day. I was lucky in noticing that the train due to Blackpool South was over 15L at Preston, courtesy of realrailtimes. Partner and I decided to taxi it to Blackpool North to connect to Piccadilly via Preston. One is left with the thought of the other passengers, elderly, young families with fractious children, youngsters out for a night in Preston/Manchester who had no idea what was going on. Poor points to the operator there.

Another good side. Staff in the ticket office at Piccadilly who worked hard for my partner and I (We live in Thailand) to get a Two for One Railcard and literally worked their socks off to arrange the pass.

Staff at Bristol TM who helped out with ticketing issues we had, and were polite, patient, and efficient, and who warmed to our thanks.

Finally, and I think this doesn't happen often, to the staff on board the train from 12:07 Piccadilly to Exeter 0n the 26th (Wednesday); Superb service and to the Train "manager" who kept us informed about the delays at Kings Norton. I know XC get it in the neck most of the time but that journey the train staff could not be faulted. I think it needs to be said sometimes that they were really good.

Sometimes the staff on-board get it in the neck; the people who deserve it the most are the unseen, uncaring management.

A few more journeys to be made over the next 10 days I hope, more triumphs than "upsets". I'll be reporting.

Interesting reading about your travel experiences, I have to agree with your comments about XC, although admittedly I only make one long distance return journey (to Cornwall) per year with them, I've never had a bad journey plus the catering has definitely improved over the last 2/3 year, thanks for sharing, :)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like quite the adventure so far, and welcome back from Thailand too. Hope the rest of the trip is excellent for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.