• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: A train that overtakes another train, then gets overtaken on the same journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
This can include any active passenger, freight or ECS workings. Basically how many services are there where the train overtakes another running service, only to then be overtaken later on during the journey, or vice versa. Bonus points if the overtaken train is the same one that overtakes it later or earlier.

I would hazard a guess that the Waterloo - Poole stopper (pre-Covid) meets this criteria since it would overtake several suburban services on its way out of London, only to then make lengthy stops to allow fast Weymouths to overtake.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
I am not sure about the current timetable, but what about the Waterloo-Portsmouth & Southsea stopper that is or was passed by the fast at Haslemere?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Euston-Trent Valley-Crewe services will overtake some Slow Line trains south of Rugby, and then be overtaken itself through the Trent Valley.

Also true for Euston-Birmingham-Scotland services.

Thomas6187

Currently the 07:55 Piccadilly-Euston is overtaken by the 08:05 Piccadilly-Euston around Tamworth. The 0755 then overtakes the 0805 at Milton Keynes

TXMISTA

Basingstoke stoppers overtake suburban services on the London end of the route and then get overtaken by faster Weymouth and WoE services

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
When London Victoria is closed and services divert to London Bridge, the Up Eastbourne to London Bridge services will overtake the Brighton to Bedford services as booked between Balcombe Tunnel Junction and Gatwick Airport, but will then get reovertaken by the Brighton to Bedford services at East Croydon.

O L Leigh

Established Member
Some southbound IC services at Peterborough (notably a GC working) will blatt past the XC Stansted service between Helpston and Werrington but then get signal-checked towards the station allowing the XC to cruise past and regain the lead. Does this count...?

Thameslink Horsham-Peterborough services will overtake Moorgate-Welwyn Garden City services, but then get overtaken by LNER/Lumo/Hull Trains/Grand Central

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Not uncommon on the approach to Paddington (and I guess other termini) for a fast train to overtake a slow train only for the slow train to re-pass the fast train as it awaits platform.

fishwomp

I would make it even harder: a train that overtakes another train, and is then overtaken by the same train.

Almost every departure of an EMU stopper at the same time as a diesel - the EMU gets the initial acceleration, so is overtaking the diesel, and then the EMU has to stop (or reaches its own top speed) and is thus caught by the same diesel. Happens daily across the network - at Paddington it was a regular before the Hitachis, and you also had the potential to be overtaken by the underground too.

Taunton

Established Member
I remember being on an Up HST that stopped at Didcot. Just as we did so a 66-hauled container train got going on the relief line. Starting again, we were surprisingly halfway to Reading before overtaking it, and then while stopped at Reading it came through at speed. Off from there, we passed it around Twyford/Maidenhead, stopped at Slough, and just as we restarted it again came through at speed, disappeared, and we were at the M25 before overtaking for the third time. I guess it was doing 60 sustained, we were fluctuating between 125 and stopped.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Basingstoke stoppers overtake suburban services on the London end of the route and then get overtaken by faster Weymouth and WoE services

On a Sunday, when the XX:45 Waterloo - Salisbury trains run they used to overtake a Basingstoke stopper around Byfleet, sit at Woking for a few minutes when the Basingstoke stopper passes it before the sprinters passing it again around Brookwood

Peter0124

Established Member
I would make it even harder: a train that overtakes another train, and is then overtaken by the same train.

Almost every departure of an EMU stopper at the same time as a diesel - the EMU gets the initial acceleration, so is overtaking the diesel, and then the EMU has to stop (or reaches its own top speed) and is thus caught by the same diesel. Happens daily across the network - at Paddington it was a regular before the Hitachis, and you also had the potential to be overtaken by the underground too.
Good example of this:

If travelling from West of Anderston to stations on the Hamilton Circle you can board the Larkhall service:

Alight at Central (15:43)
Go to High Level platform 3 and board the 15:50 to Lanark:

Alight at Cambuslang (15:58)
Board the Larkhall service 3 mins later on the same platform (16:01)

A much more fun way to do the journey if you ask me.
Doesn't work all the time though as a few times the Larkhall service is timed to arrive before the Lanark one, or if the Lanark service is really late ect then it will be overtaken

mmh

Established Member
Euston-Trent Valley-Crewe services will overtake some Slow Line trains south of Rugby, and then be overtaken itself through the Trent Valley.

Also true for Euston-Birmingham-Scotland services.

They'll overtake slow line trains, but none of those slow line trains later join the Trent Valley fast lines, so it's impossible for them to be overtaken by one of them later on.

mlambeuk

0559 Berwick to London Kings Cross, Gets over taken by the 0540 Edinburgh to Kings Cross at Darlington and then goes on to overtakes some Thameslink Services between Peterborough and Kings cross.

Last edited:

Callmo

DB Cargo East Midlands - Felixstowe South (about 10pm) at Peterborough gets overtaken by the Tees Dock - Felixstowe North Freightliner, which then in turn sits in Ely goods for half an hour, in which the DB Cargo service passes it.

AM9

Veteran Member

There are probably cases of a train being taken over by another which then gets taken over by a third which in turn is taken over by a fourth. Thake the WCML:
Is there a LO train that is overtaken by a LNR Tring slow which is passed by a LNR Crewe via the TV line fast which is then overtaken by an Avanti (probably) to Manchester?
Alternatively, a St Albans slow passed by a Bedford fast then that passed by an EMR Corby which is then overtaken by an EMR Sheffield.

mm333

Not strictly overtaking, but I'm hoping soon to get off one train, board another for 1 stop and then back on the first train.

I'm travelling from Canterbury East to London Bridge. In the morning peak, a direct runs train between the two. But I want to tick-off getting on or off a train at Teynham. The service comes into Faversham, there's a cross-platform change for a Margate-Victoria service. That departs but the Canterbury East-London Bridge service sits at Faversham for about 10 minutes. So I'll change for the Victoria service, get off at Teynham and then get back on the Canterbury East-London Bridge service when it calls at Teynham 10 minutes later.

chorleyjeff

This can include any active passenger, freight or ECS workings. Basically how many services are there where the train overtakes another running service, only to then be overtaken later on during the journey, or vice versa. Bonus points if the overtaken train is the same one that overtakes it later or earlier.

I would hazard a guess that the Waterloo - Poole stopper (pre-Covid) meets this criteria since it would overtake several suburban services on its way out of London, only to then make lengthy stops to allow fast Weymouths to overtake.
Is it the overtaken train that then overtakes the same overtaker train ?

Acfb

I think there used to be a train on London Overground which did this on the way to Willesden Junction which was in one of Geoff Marshall's Overground videos.

TC7

Although not scheduled if the Edinburgh/Blackpool - Euston via Brum is running 5 or so mins late (which is surprisingly often) it will overtake the XC from Manchester - Reading/Bournemouth at or just before Stafford which then in turn overtakes it at Wolverhampton

tynesider

Not a planned move at all, but this afternoon the 10-minute late 1A65 (14:12 Sunderland - London) overtook the on-time 1V64 (13:08 Edinburgh - Plymouth) at Darlington.

1V64 then overtook 1A65 on the racetrack approaching Thirsk.

Just as well really as I'm intending to make that connection at York!

341o2

Established Member

The Poole stopping train usually waits for about 30 minutes at Brockenhurst, where it is overtaken. i am not aware of it making other lengthy stops

Status
Not open for further replies.