• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: aptly named stations, in a literal sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Many London street names do lead to their eponymous towns or suburbs (Edgware Road, Fulham Road, Brighton Road, Great Dover Street etc but others are named after the Earl, Duke or other worthy who owned the land at the time the area was first built on e.g Liverpool Street, Northumberland Avenue, Gloucester Road, Leicester Square. Oxford Street is part of the A40 which goes to Oxford, but that is a coincidence.

We've got Southampton Row, Place, and Street in Bloomsbury - none of which would be a good way to head to Southampton; they're also named after the historic landowner. For historical/etymological reasons, Xtown Road is more likely to be because it's the route towards Xtown than if it's Street or whatever.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vlad

Welsh place names are very literal, so most of them accurately describe their surroundings.

So are English ones - it's just the language (and the place names) have changed quite a bit in the past 1000+ years so it's not always obvious. The problem is the places named after people who are long dead.

I'll also admit that the castle in that city on the Tyne isn't particularly new any more. :D

Veteran Member
Canterbury West is north of the city centre, Canterbury East is south of it
...and barely East of West! Unfortunately, when the stations got their suffixes (why not suffices BTW?) there was already a Canterbury South :(
West is NW of the city centre and close to the road leading West (London Rd) so not an unreasonable choice.

Parallel

Established Member
There seem to be a few in the north that have literal names such as Flowery Field, Cherry Tree and Daisy Hill, though I’m not sure of all these are in the vicinity of the aforementioned stations!

341o2

Established Member
So are English ones - it's just the language (and the place names) have changed quite a bit in the past 1000+ years so it's not always obvious.
That is the case of Wool, Dorset, first mentioned as Wyllon which means spring or well - nothing to do with sheep as animal rights activists claimed, wanting the name to be changed, recently

matchmaker

Established Member
When I had to go to RNLI HQ to attend an Honorary Secretary course, our Area Inspector said to me "you're going to Poole. It's aptly named - it always rains."

vic-rijrode

That is the case of Wool, Dorset, first mentioned as Wyllon which means spring or well - nothing to do with sheep as animal rights activists claimed, wanting the name to be changed, recently
...talking of Wool, hopefully Ramsbottom is not aptly named ...

zwk500

Veteran Member
Likewise both "London Roads" are on roads leading to London, and Manchester Oxford Road is on the A34 which goes to Oxford.
Brighton's isn't! You pass over what becomes London Road (It's Preston Rd or Beaconsfield road depending on which bit of the 1-way system you're using) on the Aptly-named London Road Viaduct as you leave Brighton, but the station itself is on Ditchling Rise, at the far end from it's junction with London Road. In an ironic twist, Preston Park Station is visible from the actual London Road, although the entrance itself is on the side street leading from the A23.

In the same area, Newhaven Harbour is located right up against the Newhaven Harbour's boundary fence, and only a few meters away from the quayside proper!

Clansman

Established Member
Golf Street. On one side is a street, on the other side there's a golf course. What more could you ask more.

Sheridan

When I had to go to RNLI HQ to attend an Honorary Secretary course, our Area Inspector said to me "you're going to Poole. It's aptly named - it always rains."
Going off-topic here, but is there any part of the UK which isn’t irrationally convinced that it has worse weather than the rest of the country?

mirodo

On the cross city line between Birmingham and Lichfield is Gravelly Hill station serving an Edwardian suburb built on the slopes of a (presumably gravelly) hill.
Likewise, Gravel Hill on the Croydon tram network is at the foot of the Addington Hill. According to Wikipedia:
The area was originally called the hill of Pripledeane or Prible Dean, a name meaning "Gravel Valley" that came from the Middle English words prebel ("gravel") and dene ("valley").

Irascible

Established Member
Bridgewater does indeed.

I haven't found a barn held together by clips in Barnstaple though.

Killingworth

Established Member
To paraphrase Robert Louis Stephenson, to arrive at Hope station can be a disappointment.

Hope is in Flintshire or Debyshire so hopefully they arrive at the right one. Last time I boarded at Hope, Derbyshire a passenger alighting asked the way to the bus station. The bus shelter down the approach road has just been replaced so hope he wasn't too disappointed.

Jurg

The station building at Stone appears to be built partly from stone, but mostly brick.

If there are no hawthorns growing on the embankments at The Hawthorns, someone needs to go out and plant some pronto.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.