• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Are there any settlements that are served by trams but not buses?

PTR 444

Established Member
This question applies to both the UK and internationally, as I expect examples over here will be limited to suburbs or villages.

Still, I’d be intrigued to find out if there are any large towns or cities around the world that entirely use trams for their local transit network. Considering that trams are more popular than buses, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is somewhere that has had its bus network withdrawn at the onset of building a new tram line, particularly if the settlement has one common destination.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freiburg in Germany took the decision in the 1980s to not only retain its classic tramway but to considerably expand it to serve most districts of the city. There are now very few local bus routes left, and most connect into the tramway for journeys into the city-centre.

stuu

Established Member
I would say absolutely not. Even comprehensive systems in places like Lodz have missing gaps and peripheral settlements that need buses. There may be somewhere small that only has a tram route through it though, say somewhere in a valley without any crossing route

DanNCL

Established Member
Towns and cities unlikely but some of the hamlets on the east coast of the Isle of Man might qualify, pretty sure that not all of the hamlets served by the MER have a bus service.

Hardly an individual settlement but there a few stops on the London (ex Croydon) Tramlink which are a fair way from a bus. Lloyd Park is certainly one, I think Harrington Road and Arena might be others.

AlexL

The districts “Westhoven“ and “Ensen” in Cologne are served by the tram line 7 but no buses at all. Considering that they have a combined population of over 13,000, I guess it is sort of noteworthy.

ALEMASTER

it depends how you are defining it but in Sheffield there are no buses operating on Park Grange Road, only the tram, however buses aren't too far away.
1710256860771.png

nwales58

Define settlement. And 'tram'. And whether general bus service or school buses only.

Without rigorous checking, maybe quite a few places such as Jahnsdorf, Eggenstein (DE), some hamlets on Albtalbahn, also some between Karlsruhe and Heilbronn, Aldrans (AT, if Igls is Tram but Stubaitalbahn is railway), maybe somewhere on the Valenciennes network (FR), Dolni Lhota (CZ)?