• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Biggest BR sign/logo on the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmason1996

Hi all,

This may have been done before, please alert me If so. What's the biggest BR logo you've seen on the network? I reckon the one on the front of Lime Street could be a contender.
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
The Lime Street one looks like it beats the Milton Keynes Central one, but yeah Gatwick's going to win unless there's something that's very well hidden.

thenorthern

Established Member
Other large ones still in existence include Stafford and Tamworth but I think the one one the roof of Gatwick Airport is the largest.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Isn't part of the roof changing as Gatwick Airport station gets redeveloped?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
How big approximately, has anyone tried to measure them?

Are there any the wrong way round, depicting running on the right?

snowball

Established Member
Are there any the wrong way round, depicting running on the right?
The only wrong-way-round ones I've ever seen were on Sealink ferries, which had right-way-round ones on the starboard side and wrong-way-round ones on the port side, so that the top arrow always pointed forward.

Towers

Established Member
No idea if it's as big as Gatwick's, but I'd suggest Signal Point, Swindon, as surely featuring somewhere near the top of the list!

DelW

Established Member
The only wrong-way-round ones I've ever seen were on Sealink ferries, which had right-way-round ones on the starboard side and wrong-way-round ones on the port side, so that the top arrow always pointed forward.
Well, that's a surprise to me! I'd always thought that all Sealink logos were reversed, to reflect the fact that ships normally pass port to port, i.e. "drive on the right". Maybe I only ever saw them from the port side :s.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Well, that's a surprise to me! I'd always thought that all Sealink logos were reversed, to reflect the fact that ships normally pass port to port, i.e. "drive on the right". Maybe I only ever saw them from the port side :s.
They are. Bjt it's a convention on a vehicle that the 'left' side of a flag/logo is placed on the leading end, as the flag would display when the ship is underway

DelW

Established Member
They are. Bjt it's a convention on a vehicle that the 'left' side of a flag/logo is placed on the leading end, as the flag would display when the ship is underway
Ah, right, having looked at some old photos, I think I've understood it now ;).

Gathursty

Established Member
This begs the question what is the smallest:

I think Middlewood as I can only think the BR sign is within a fingerpost at the A6.

It's probably going to be a country halt or some hidden urban one.

Mills444

I think Middlewood as I can only think the BR sign is within a fingerpost at the A6.

The one on your ticket? Although whether that is a real BR logo is debatable.

zwk500

Veteran Member

The smallest will be those on pedestrian or cycleway signs, other than those at the bottom of posters etc.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Gatwick is cheating though. Birmingham International has a couple of sizeable ones.

Gathursty

Established Member
The smallest will be those on pedestrian or cycleway signs, other than those at the bottom of posters etc.
Indeed and furthermore I can't recall Middlewood having a totem pole at all so that pedestrian sign 'is' the BR sign.

I think some stations don't have a double arrow at all but that may have changed since I was last at some of them:
Gilfach Fargoed
Manors
Dunrobin Castle

Would need someone to confirm for me.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I should like to see variations on the symbol, not in lot of colours, but perhaps a depiction of the station throat at Waterloo? I use the symbol myself in my diary to indicate train travel.

mrcheek

Established Member
Since the question has been answered for the largest official logo, maybe we should move on: Is there anywhere on the network where the track layout, viewed from the correct angle, resembles an even bigger BR logo?

Status
Not open for further replies.