• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[trivia] Biggest travel time increase between two stations no longer served by direct trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don't think this trivia question has been done before.

Which journey between two stations has seen the biggest increase in travel time over the years. Although in the title I reference direct services, I'll allow ones where you had to change but the journey has increased all the same.

Buses appearing in the current train timetable count, providing you can buy a through train ticket that includes the bus and its not a plus bus add on. Walking is allowed only if it is recommend on National Rail Enquiries and the journey is covered by one train ticket.

For example Lewes to Uckfield now takes 2 hours 1 minute if you change twice or two hours 34 minutes if you change just once. Back in 1950 there were direct services that took 19 or 20 minutes. I'm looking at services around 13:00.

That's an increase of between 1 hour 41 minutes to 2 hours 13 minutes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
If you choose something like Porthmadog to Bangor, that used to have a direct service. Now you have to go via Chester and Shrewsbury, taking 5h50m.
You can get an advanced purchase ticket at £25.50 for the 6:53 tomorrow morning.

I've not checked the old timetables for timings yet. Don't have them to hand.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Something on the WCML pre-Dec 2008 may be a good candidate.

E.g. the Euston-Glasgows used to regularly call at Rugby, so journeys like Rugby-Lancaster were very quick.

Now (with 1-2 exceptions per day) it's a slow run along the Trent Valley to change at Crewe, or a slow diversion via (and changing at) Birmingham.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Not that anyone in their right mind , and without free staff travel would do that journey ......
An anytime day single ticket is £36.30. A period return just a mire £52.20.

They don't offer any advanced purchase tickets or day returns either but you can buy an off peak return for £38.00

I agree who in their right mind would do that. However maybe if one wanted to visit somewhere else on route they might consider it.

Essan

Honeybourne to Stratford on Avon? Used to be direct trains which I am assuming would have been under 30 minutes. Now at least 3 hours via Worcs and Birmingham

infobleep

Veteran Member
Honeybourne to Stratford on Avon? Used to be direct trains which I am assuming would have been under 30 minutes. Now at least 3 hours via Worcs and Birmingham

It's about 3 hours. The return is about 30 minutes faster.

Fares include a 7 day standard class season ticket at £194.50. If you want the first class 7 day season ticket then it's just £388.35.

You can even get advanced purchase tickets. Prices range from £14.70 to £47.80. This assumes Cross Country are actually making the tickets avilable for sale.
http://www.brfares.com/#expert?orig=HYB&dest=SAV

I might understand someone buying a return or single that allows them to break their journey on route but an advance? I bet that's not popular.

xotGD

Established Member
Whitby to Scarborough is a candidate

Or Buxton to Matlock

FQTV

Or Buxton to Matlock

If preserved lines are allowable, then perhaps Malton to Pickering is in with a shout.

I assume that it was not more than twenty minutes between the two prior to closure.

Now the fastest that I can see this year is 5h33m via York, Darlington, Middlesbrough and Grosmont.

infobleep

Veteran Member
If preserved lines are allowable, then perhaps Malton to Pickering is in with a shout.

I assume that it was not more than twenty minutes between the two prior to closure.

Now the fastest that I can see this year is 5h33m via York, Darlington, Middlesbrough and Grosmont.
I'll let preserved lines be included because it's interesting but you can't buy a through ticket. At least I didn't think you could.

infobleep

Veteran Member

Or Buxton to Matlock
On Thursday 14th March you can get an advanced purchase ticket from Whitby to Scarborough for the price of £25.30. Only takes 4 hours to reach Scarborough and you can't break your journey on route. Back in the timetable commencing the 11th June 1957, one could get the 19:41 from Whitby Weatcliff and arrive into Scarborough at 20:48, if I've read the small print correctly. If not 20:43.

I don't know wherher one was allowed to break their journey then but it was the last train of the day.

infobleep

Veteran Member
As for Buxton to Matlock Its now 3 hours 24 minutes with 3 changes but if you find that too much, you can reduce it to 2 charges but it adds an hour on to your journey.

Consequently the fast services from 11th June 1956 took just 1 hour 15 minutes.

Last edited:

FQTV

I'll let preserved lines be included because it's interesting but you can't buy a through ticket. At least I didn't think you could.

You’re quite right; you can’t buy a through ticket (I’d missed that stipulation in the OP) so I think that I should self-disqualify my suggestion!

infobleep

Veteran Member
You’re quite right; you can’t buy a through ticket (I’d missed that stipulation in the OP) so I think that I should self-disqualify my suggestion!
The other reason is I can't easily look up the times on National Rail Enquiries, as the times don't exist and I'd have to work them out.

olympus

Bicester Village (previously Bicester London Road) to Bletchley is a short trip at only 2 hours 23 minutes, though the stations were connected by the Varsity Line until 1968. Sample timetable from 1964 here on the forum Oxford-Bletchley Historic Timetables? suggests a journey time of 30 minutes on the old route.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Bicester Village (previously Bicester London Road) to Bletchley is a short trip at only 2 hours 23 minutes, though the stations were connected by the Varsity Line until 1968. Sample timetable from 1964 here on the forum Oxford-Bletchley Historic Timetables? suggests a journey time of 30 minutes on the old route.
http://www.brfares.com/#expert?orig=BIT&dest=BLY

Interestingly travelling via London is cheaper than travelling not via London. If travelling via London, apart from. Advanced tickets, you can get anytime day singles, returns as well as cheap day singles and returns. Period returns exist too. This is for standard class tickets.

For first class via London though you can only get day tickets. So by paying £174.80, you'd need to return the same day. You could break your journey on route though.

If not travelling via London then no day tickets are avilable, only period returns. However this does include first class. Most expensive is the £242.30.

Status
Not open for further replies.