• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Bus companies with the least amount of 2nd hand buses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class465pacer

What are the bus companies with the lowest amount of 2nd hand buses in the fleet? :D

This includes both independent operators and operating divisions/garages of larger companies.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eyersey468

Established Member
I've forgotten the name of the company but a few years ago there was a 6 vehicle coach fleet that had a 3 year replacement cycle and bought 2 new Plaxton Profiles a year.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Cardiff Bus, they haven't had any second hand vehicles in the fleet since 2007 when the last former Fife (Alexander) Ailsas were withdrawn.

Until recently Id say Lothian!

As a percentage I think the ex-London B9TLs make up roughly around ~8-9% of the city fleet?

jammy36

The question isn't nil, it's the 'lowest'. Why should I include a specific exception?
Absolutely and one second hand vehicle in a fleet as large as Nottingham's is impressive and to my mind the fleet certainly warrants mentioning in this thread.

In any case might the point be moot as although the lone vehicle in question was used for demonstration purposes by other operators wasn't it always intended for Nottingham (and ?always owned by them)? They placed an initial order for 53 gas buses and a follow-on order for a further 67 of which I thought DD18GAS formed part, but with an agreement that it would be used by Scania for demonstration purposes on loan to other operators (or am I misremembering things).

cnjb8

Established Member
The question isn't nil, it's the 'lowest'. Why should I include a specific exception?
Because it's least amount, so specify the amount
Absolutely and one second hand vehicle in a fleet as large as Nottingham's is impressive and to my mind the fleet certainly warrants mentioning in this thread.

In any case might the point be moot as although the lone vehicle in question was used for demonstration purposes by other operators wasn't it always intended for Nottingham (and ?always owned by them)? They placed an initial order for 53 gas buses and a follow-on order for a further 67 of which I thought DD18GAS formed part, but with an agreement that it would be used by Scania for demonstration purposes on loan to other operators (or am I misremembering things).
Possibly yeah

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Could we have less of the squabbling please?!

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Metroline and HCT in London both have relatively few second hand vehicles as a % of their total fleet.

swifty

Established Member
Horseman Coaches. Of their fleet of c.80 I believe only 2 are second hand, ex Parks.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
National Express West Midlands surely must be a good contender? Although being pedantic, you could say that National Express Coventry is a seperate company, so could be second-hand vehicles with the transferring they've done!

Ridercross

National Express West Midlands surely must be a good contender? Although being pedantic, you could say that National Express Coventry is a seperate company, so could be second-hand vehicles with the transferring they've done!
Yes I was thinking of NXWM too, nobody should class Coventry as a separate company, as it is all West Midlands Travel Ltd and the same operators licence.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Has Whitelaws of Stonehouse been mentioned yet? Far as I understand it, all of their current normal service buses were bought (leased?) new; not 100% sure about the coach/private hire side of things. Am open to be corrected on both counts though.

cnjb8

Established Member
Has Whitelaws of Stonehouse been mentioned yet? Far as I understand it, all of their current normal service buses were bought (leased?) new; not 100% sure about the coach/private hire side of things. Am open to be corrected on both counts though.
On the coach side they have an ex Moffat and Williamson Profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.