• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Bus routes in the UK serving at least 3 or more counties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northken

As does the 17.

Bath Bus Co A4 and HCT 672 all serve North Somerset, Bath and Bristol. I think this is within the definition we are using?
You're right with the 17 as it does pass through Somerset, Bristol and Gloucestershire - thanks for pointing it out. However, the A4 and 672 only pass through two counties: Bristol and Somerset. Bath is part of Somerset.

-Colly405-

You're right with the 17 as it does pass through Somerset, Bristol and Gloucestershire - thanks for pointing it out. However, the A4 and 672 only pass through two counties: Bristol and Somerset. Bath is part of Somerset.
Sorry - I thought we were counting current local authorities, in which case Bath & North East Somerset is separate to North Somerset.

My mistake, I got confused over what definition we were using!!!

Wolfie

Established Member
Banga Bus 891 Wolverhampton to Telford. West Midlands, Staffordshire and Shropshire.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
X62 Borders Buses (Craig of Campbeltown), Edinburgh City, Midlothian, and Scottish Borders.

Was Edinburgh ever part of Midlothian District before 1996?

I know that one of Edinburgh's football sides is Hearts of Midlothian.

Also, the X62 seems to have a lot of mileage to travel from Campbeltown and back as it is the opposite side of the country.

DunsBus

Established Member

Also, the X62 seems to have a lot of mileage to travel from Campbeltown and back as it is the opposite side of the country.

Edinburgh was in Midlothian prior to 1975 - indeed, at one time, Midlothian was known as Edinburghshire.

The old county covered an area from the outskirts of Livingston, across to Musselburgh and down to Stow. The latter is deep in Border country and was only in Midlothian thanks to a secular quirk going back to the 11th century.

The Scottish local government changes in 1975 saw Midlothian shrink quite considerably as bits were ceded to neighbouring areas - Musselburgh to East Lothian, the bit around Livingston to West Lothian, and an enlarged Edinburgh District covering the city itself plus Newbridge, Currie and Balerno, along with South Queensferry which was transferred from West Lothian. The Stow anomaly was resolved by transferring it to the Borders. What was left formed the new Midlothian District and, in turn, the present Midlothian Council area.

Chris 76

A few more:
Southdown 236 serves Kent (Westerham/Edenbridge), Surrey (Lingfield) and W Sussex (East Grinstead)
Stagecoach 13 from Basingstoke (Hants) to Haslemere (Surrey). The journeys which loop from Liphook to Haslemere dip into West Sussex briefly.
First Berks 8: Slough (Unitary, historic Bucks) via Windsor (Berks) to Staines (Surrey), and on to Heathrow (Hounslow/Gtr London/Middlesex historic)
West Berks Council 47 Lambourn (West Berks) via Ashbury (Oxfordshire) to Swindon (Unitary/historic Wiltshire). The historic Alder Valley route from Swindon to Newbury would only count after 1974, when Oxfordshire gained the top layer of Berkshire.
Johnsons 1 variant of the Stratford-upon-Avon (Warwickshire) to Moreton-in-Marsh (Gloucestershire) route runs via Broadway (Worcestershire)

I also expected Centrebus Grantham (Lincs) via Bottesford (Leics) to Bingham (Notts) but currently this only runs Grantham-Bottesford apart from school/peak journeys to Bingham)

WestieBus

Craig of Campbeltown is the owners of Borders Buses, Borders Buses formed when they bought First Scotland East's Operations in the Borders, then WCM merged Borders Buses into Perrymans Buses.

First Bus West Lothian's route X22 serves 3 counties.

Serves counties:-
North Lanarkshire
West Lothian
Edinburgh City Council

The Route to Edinburgh (to Shotts the same but in reverse)
NORTH LANARKSHIRE
Shotts
Harthill
WEST LOTHIAN
Whitburn
Blackburn
Livingston (Livingston Village, The Centre, Dedridge and Mid Calder)
East Calder
Wilkeston
EDINBURGH CITY COUNCIL
Sighthill
Dalry
Edinburgh City Centre (Princes Street and Regent Road)

Stagecoach East Scotland's route X51 serves 5 counties.

Fife
Edinburgh City Council
West Lothian
North Lanarkshire
Glasgow City Council

The route to Glasgow (route to Dunfermline is the same but in reverse)
FIFE
Dunfermline
Rosyth
EDINBURGH CITY COUNCIL
Queensferry (not village)
Kirkliston
Newbridge
WEST LOTHIAN
Knightsridge (Deer park/fastlink)
Ladywell (fastlink)
Craigshill/Howden (fastlink)
Livingston, the Centre
Kirkton
Deans (To M8 slip road)
NORTH LANARKSHIRE
Harthill (services (petrol station/park & ride))
GLASGOW CITY COUNCIL
Eurocentral MAXI retail park
Glasgow City Centre (at bus station)

Last edited:

bussnapperwm

Established Member
Stagecoach Midlands 48 goes through WM, Warks and Leicestershire on the 48C/L

Although, does the WM area count as a county. If not I offer the X1... Birmingham, Solihull and Coventry.

David Verity

I can't think of any that currently run around West/ North Yorkshire (apart from Kirkby Lonsdale Skipton to Lancaster which has already been mentioned), but I can think of a couple which ran up until fairly recently.

X43 Skipton - Burnley - Manchester
(North Yorks. Lancs. Greater Manchester)

845 Leeds - Tadcaster - Bridlington
(West Yorks. - North Yorks. - East Yorks.)culd
Witchway (X43) now runs Burnley - Manchester. Burnley - Skipton is a separate service "Pendle Whizz" (you couldn't make it up could you?)

Mods please delete if this has already been listed - Hulleys of Baslow new Sheffield - Manchester: South Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Greater Manchester.

PaulMc7

Established Member
Considering the full route is less than an hour First Glasgow's 89 from Glasgow to Kilsyth just sneaks in because of Kilsyth being in North Lanarkshire. Bishopbriggs and Kirkintilloch are in East Dunbartonshire and the Buchanan Bus Station to Springburn is all in Glasgow

bluenoxid

Established Member
Witchway (X43) now runs Burnley - Manchester. Burnley - Skipton is a separate service "Pendle Whizz" (you couldn't make it up could you?)

Mods please delete if this has already been listed - Hulleys of Baslow new Sheffield - Manchester: South Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Greater Manchester.

It is Pendle Wizz. Not my favourite bus service branding.

SeanG

Established Member
Go North East's X10 and X11 Newcastle - Middlesbrough serve Northumberland, Co Durham & North Yorkshire. Or Tyne & Wear, Co Durham and the "Tees Valley" /Cleveland etc (delete as appropriate depending on what the politicians had for breakfast that morning)

bobslack1982

The 685 Newcastle to Carlisle - Tyne and Wear, Northumberland and Cumbria.

Same goes for the summer 888 from Newcastle to Keswick service (if it still runs).

The X95 from Carlisle to Galashiels (formerly a through service to Edinburgh) runs through Cumbria, Dumfries and Galloway and Scottish Borders.

Mrs. Fortescue

On Moderation
First Cmyru

X1 - Bridgend - Swansea (Bridgend, Neath Port Talbot, Swansea)
X2 - Porthcawl to Cardiff (Bridgend, Vale of Glamorgan, Cardiff)

First Bus MidlandBluebird service X38 serves 5 counties.

Stirling City Council
Clackmannanshire
Falkirk
West Lothian
Edinburgh City Council

First MidlandBluebird service 38 serves 3 counties.

Stirling City Council
Clackmannanshire
Falkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.