• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Bus Stops With No Pedestrian Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

lxfe_mxtterz

Hi all.

Are there any bus stops in the UK which have no pedestrian access?

From what I can deduce using Street View, this bus stop near Puttenham in Surrey doesn't appear to have any pedestrian access, and to be honest, it doesn't appear to have been used in decades! All in all, it seems to be quite a useless bus stop.

Could any experts advise on whether this specific bus stop actually doesn't have pedestrian access? If so, are there any others, and where are they?

Good luck. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

padbus

The Bridgwater stop for the Stagecoach South West Falcon always looks pretty inaccessible to me. It's on a spur road off J24 on the M5 on the side for traffic going towards the motorway. However, when I looked at it just now on Google Streetview there was someone stood there studying the timetable but maybe he had been taken there by car.

Stan Drews

Established Member
Hi all.

From what I can deduce using Street View, this bus stop near Puttenham in Surrey doesn't appear to have any pedestrian access, and to be honest, it doesn't appear to have been used in decades! All in all, it seems to be quite a useless bus stop.

Could any experts advise on whether this specific bus stop actually doesn't have pedestrian access? If so, are there any others, and where are they?

There looks to be pedestrian access up from the nearby road that runs below the A31, although it does look to be rather overgrown!

Hophead

Established Member
Hi all.

If you are prepared to tramp back along the grass verge for about 200 metres, you can take a footpath down towards Wanborough. Going forwards to the slip road down to the B3000 has an unnerving walk over a bridge with pretty much no pedestrian access. The stop is served by an hourly Stagecoach 65.

Footpath location on Streetview.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There's a bus shelter across from us that is only accessible by walking across a wide grass verge* from the (distant) pavement/cycle path, or across the road.

But the bus shelter only exists to sell the associated ad space (it only gets one bus a day).

*Effectively for future dualling of the road which never happened.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If you are prepared to tramp back along the grass verge for about 200 metres, you can take a footpath down towards Wanborough. Going forwards to the slip road down to the B3000 has an unnerving walk over a bridge with pretty much no pedestrian access. The stop is served by an hourly Stagecoach 65.

Footpath location on Streetview.

You don't even need to go that far, there's a path down to the road at the adjacent bridge. You can see the handrail quite clearly.

lxfe_mxtterz

Thanks for the replies regarding the Puttenham bus stop. I can see the footpath now - turns out I wasn't looking hard enough! Either way, it doesn't look particularly accessible (or pleasant), hidden amongst all the bushes and trees!

swifty

Established Member

Charlton Road, near to the Redlynch Lane junction, outside Keynsham. There’s a stop either side of the road with no footpath, or anywhere safe to wait.

awsnews

There is this one locally, there are no pavements on that side of the roundabout at all.20200805_210425.jpg20200805_210425.jpg

Hophead

Established Member
You don't even need to go that far, there's a path down to the road at the adjacent bridge. You can see the handrail quite clearly.

Had a look; couldn't spot it. Can now (both ends, now I know there's something to actually see)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I remember visiting my ex on the outskirts of Retford one time and the bus stop seemed to be lacking any sort of path. In fact the driver pulled up short as the actual stop itself was surrounded by some very mushy and muddy grass. Its fairly close to an ECML crossing.

vlad

There is this one locally, there are no pavements on that side of the roundabout at all.

If those count then so do these on the A531 near Crewe.

(There are quite a few bus stops on the non-pavement side of the A531 as it happens.)

richw

Veteran Member
There is one I’ve seen on one of my routes in Cornwall, that the council have now erected a bus shelter that is only accessible by walking into the road due to its position, and having 3 closed sides!
I can’t remember where to now!

mmh

Established Member
If no pedestrian access means no pavement, then there are countless ones.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I've always thought this pair of bus stops on Horsell Birch in Woking to be rather pointless and inaccessible.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

py_megapixel

Established Member
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.398...4!1sKIO76lnTN5wS4QcI0S-5Wg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

One on a dual-carriageway somewhere near Manchester. I was just passing through so I didn't have any chance to get out and look.

Looking to the south on Street View there's something which looks a bit like it could possibly be a ramp, but if it is a ramp I can't for the life of me work out where it comes out on the other end.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
https://www.google.com/maps/@53.398...4!1sKIO76lnTN5wS4QcI0S-5Wg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

One on a dual-carriageway somewhere near Manchester. I was just passing through so I didn't have any chance to get out and look.

Looking to the south on Street View there's something which looks a bit like it could possibly be a ramp, but if it is a ramp I can't for the life of me work out where it comes out on the other end.

It's a subway, it comes out on the other side then onto Barnes Way.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I changed bus on the mainland near Venice once. Was when public transport details just started appearing on the internet but maps weren't so handy. Had it all sorted out.
We arrived at the airport. Knew which stop I was getting off the 5. Then needed to get a bus on the other side of the road to our hotel.

Got off. Realised we were on a dual carriageway - there was no space between the stop and the first lane with cars in. And we had suitcases.

Crossed the two lanes, climbed over a crash barrier, though a small forest, over another crash barrier, across another 2 lanes to the stop on the other side. With no space to stand safely. And no pedestrian access.

Two buses we wanted went past without stopping - they were rammed due to a music festival. At this point my wife insisted we get the first bus to anywhere which would stop and sort out getting to our hotel later.

So far as I can see these 2 stops no longer exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.