• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: busiest British street divided by an operational level crossing?

This is prompted by this video
posted to the (entirely serious) discussion at https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/parade-and-marching-band-over-level-crossing.267419/

It shows (most clearly around 23:30) that a busy shopping mall (or enclosed shopping street) is bisected by a level crossing. Without being any kind of Health&Safety zealot, it looks somewhat scary. My (fairly) trivial question is: what is (or was) the busiest British street divided by an operational level crossing - particularly one with frequent, main line trains like this? I'm thinking busiest in terms of pedestrians and/or cyclists, not motor vehicles

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lincoln springs to mind and St Dunstans in Canterbury is also in with a shout.

HullRailMan

Spring Bank West in Hull is a busy dual carriageway - the last vehicle count was in 2009 (the figure will likely be much higher now) and that showed an average of 20,000 vehicles passed over the crossing per day. https://roadtraffic.dft.gov.uk/manualcountpoints/931304

Edit - missed the part about not counting motor vehicles. This crossing gets really busy with pedestrians when the adjacent stadium has a football/rugby match on, and especially during Hull Fair, but that’s is clearly not every day - during the fair there are usually marshals managing pedestrians at the crossing in addition to the barriers.

Last edited:

Ken X

What I always remember about Poole crossing was the footbridge directly alongside the crossing. When the gates closed the footbridge became spectacularly busy. Quite steep stairs too.

Enthusiast

Established Member
Whilst Poole L/C is very busy, it is normally not used by vehicles as it is in a pedestrian precinct. My first thought was Canterbury.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Lincoln High Street - and it used to have two level crossings! This is the one that is left, which is busier than both combined were before, because trains terminating from the Newark direction did not have to cross the High Street when both stations (and crossings) were open.

Not to mention that goods trains could avoid using either crossing when the avoiding line (which crossed the High Street on a bridge) was still open.
R.089e527f2f99006617d800421c46bead

Lincoln - High Street level crossing | Waiting for the train… | Flickr

498187_1dd54596.jpg

Whilst Poole L/C is very busy, it is normally not used by vehicles as it is in a pedestrian precinct.
OP was asking about pedestrians and cyclists, so the fact it is in a pedestrian precinct doesn't exclude it from the discussion.

Last edited:

Lincoln is now pedestrian only (plus access vehicles) but is still busy.

Western Sunset

Established Member
What I always remember about Poole crossing was the footbridge directly alongside the crossing. When the gates closed the footbridge became spectacularly busy. Quite steep stairs too.
The footbridge is the original, from when the line opened in 1874. It'll be 150 years old next month.

Chingy

There’s a LC at Northam, just after Southampton heading towards St Denys. Forgot what its called now but that’s a busy crossing both by motor vehicles & number of trains using it.

Also, Thatcham & Colthorp on the B&H are both very busy crossings by both motor vehicles, pedestrians and rail traffic. Trains regularly get cautioned through the area.

Established Member
Oakham’s LC I’m sure won’t be the busiest by a long way, but always has a fairly healthy queue of cars and pedestrians waiting to cross. It also appears to bisect a confluence of several roads.

Last edited:

james60059

What about the one at Southampton that a bus driver blocked a few years back as a Class 66 was approaching with empty cartics?, that looked quite busy TBF

alistairlees

Established Member