• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: cathedrals, abbeys and castles which can be seen from trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The spire of Chichester Cathedral fell down in 1861 and there was a description of the event given by a man who had been on a train as it approached the city. He had been idly looking at it and could hardly believe his eyes when it vanished. So at least it was visible from the line at that time.

Another : Dolwyddelan Castle
Some time since I travelled in to Chichester by train from Havant direction however, the Cathedral can not be seen from the adjacent parallel road A259 Via Raverra too many trees and buildings obscure the view.

For those less pedantic about the criteria, RICHBOROUGH ROMAN FORT near Sandwich which used to have its own halt. Chunks of it which have fallen down the embankment and just yards from the track.

D6975

Established Member
I'm 9,500 miles away presently and I can't remember for sure but is St Mawes Castle visible between Falmouth Town and Falmouth Docks Stations. Certainly the line is high enough to see maybe. Unfortunately, Although Pendennis Castle is within touching distance of the Docks station, it can't be seen.

I never knew that the UK had so many castles - good thread.
In the Summer St Mawes isn't visible due to the trees lining the route through Falmouth. In the Winter you might be in with a shout - I've only ever been down there in the Summer.

Rescars

Established Member
In Wales alone, Cadw (the Welsh Government's historic environment service) states there are 427 castles, although Visit Wales claims 641! So this is a very rich topic, potentially...
Back in the 1930s, the GWR published separate promotional books about castles and abbeys in their territory along with the inevitable Maps of System which pinpointed the various site described in the text. Sadly I don't think visibility from the trains was mentioned. Does anyone know if there was a companion volume about cathedrals?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
From parts of the Standedge route west of Huddersfield, and from parts of the Penistone line around Berry Brow and Honley you can see the Jubilee Tower (built for Victoria's golden jubilee) above Huddersfield which is locally known spuriously as "the castle" because it sits on Castle Hill. The hill takes its name from the iron-age hill fort that once stood on the site.

Then there's Dewsbury Minster if minsters also count. You can see it as you approach from the Mirfield direction.

HORNIMANS

Colchester Castle from train toward Ipswich.
St Botolphs Priory Colchester, from formerly St Botolphs station now Colchester Town.
Bury St Edmunds Cathedral after leaving station towards Cambridge and Ely.

urbophile

Established Member
Back in the 1930s, the GWR published separate promotional books about castles and abbeys in their territory along with the inevitable Maps of System which pinpointed the various site described in the text. Sadly I don't think visibility from the trains was mentioned. Does anyone know if there was a companion volume about cathedrals?
Yes there was. I have a copy. It rather cheekily includes Westminster Abbey (not a cathedral) and the two London cathedrals, as well as Liverpool (then half-completed) and Manchester as if they fell within GWR territory.

I always think of the large baseload power stations as cathedrals of the 1960s.
you could also think of many large railway stations as cathedrals of the 1860s (and later).

DelW

Established Member
The GWR of course named lots of engines after castles, and a few (5083 - 5092) after abbeys, but I don't think they named any after cathedrals.

The LNER also named some of their B2/B17s after castles and at least one abbey, but I can't at the moment think of any engines named after cathedrals. Of course I may be wrong on that!

SWTCommuter

Kirkham Priory from the York to Scarborough line.
Pause the video at 30:29 at Kirkham Abbey Level Crossing and the priory ruins are visible on the left

Newport Castle is visible from the bridge across the River Usk near the station.
Portchester Castle.
Tewkesbury Abbey near Ashchurch.
Totnes Castle, just to the west of the station.
Winchester Cathedral is very briefly visible when approaching from the south: blink and you'll miss it.

Last edited:

Grecian 1998

Forde Abbey in Dorset is I think visible from the Waterloo-Exeter line as it runs along the Somerset-Dorset border between Axminster and Crewkerne.

D6975

Established Member
Tamworth Castle is visible from the Birmingham line in the Winter, it might be a difficult spot in the Summer due to the trees.

The GWR of course named lots of engines after castles, and a few (5083 - 5092) after abbeys, but I don't think they named any after cathedrals.
The GWR Cathedral class was going to be the big 4-6-0 that became the King class instead. The name was then allocated to the pacific class that allegedly was going to be built. (although some claim it was going to be the 4-8-0 that never appeared either)

Last edited:

‘Every man’s home is his castle’ as the saying goes, so this expands our horizons enormously.

Rescars

Established Member
Yes there was. I have a copy. It rather cheekily includes Westminster Abbey (not a cathedral) and the two London cathedrals, as well as Liverpool (then half-completed) and Manchester as if they fell within GWR territory.

you could also think of many large railway stations as cathedrals of the 1860s (and later).
I expect that from the Paddington perspective, Birkenhead = Liverpool!:smile:

urbophile

Established Member
I should have said that it is also very Anglican-centred and includes no RC or other cathedrals. Maybe because the GWR was the company most patronised by landed gentry of the Establishment.

WesternBiker

But there was, of course, the Cathedral Express introduced on the Western Region in the 1950s - London to Worcester and Hereford via Oxford.

Kingston Dan

St Mary’s. I’m surprised you can see even the top of the crown of St Giles’ from Waverley (except possibly at the very East end) - I’d have thought the angles were wrong - unless there’s a very convenient gap. You’d have thought that having spent many hours on those platforms as a teenager I’d have known…
Me too - and my memory may be deceiving me too after the years. But I'm retty sure you can see St Giles as you approach from the east.

norbitonflyer

Established Member

The LNER also named some of their B2/B17s after castles and at least one abbey, but I can't at the moment think of any engines named after cathedrals. Of course I may be wrong on that!
A number of the Sandringham Class were named after stately homes, including fifteen with "Hall" in the name, nine Castles, three Parks, two Houses, one Abbey, one Lodge, and one Manor, but there were also 25 football clubs (including Newcastle United, which arguably makes ten castles in total).

londontransit

Mountfichet castle is adjacent to the railway at Stansted Mountfichet.

Hedingham castle can be seen from the Colne Valley line at Castle Hedingham station.

Beeston and Peckforton castles are prominent landmarks between Crewe and Chester. There was once a station called Beeston Castle (& Tarporley) but nowadays there's just the signal box.

D6130

Established Member
Halifax Minster is visible on the right hand side of the line as you exit Beacon Hill Tunnel from the Bradford direction.

Dobroyd Castle - a 19th century mill owner's mansion, or "brass castle" - is visible in Winter above Todmorden station.

The tall spire of Wakefield Cathedral is visible from both the Kirkgate and Westgate lines.

The tall twisted spire of Chesterfield parish church is visible for some distance either side of the station and appears to change shape as the train proceeds towards, alongside and away from it.

The three-spired Lichfield Cathedral is visible from both the WCML and Cross-City line.

Borthwick Castle (now a hotel) and Crichton Castle (now a ruin) are visible simultaneously on opposite sides of the Borders Line to the South of Gorebridge.

Redhouse Castle is visible from the ECML near Longniddry.

Last edited:

cuccir

Established Member
Lumley Castle is fairly prominent from the viaduct in Chester-le-Street.

The ruins of Milecastle 48 of Hadrian's Wall can be seen from Gilsland in Cumbria - it's one of the clearest bits of Hadrian's Wall you can see from the line.

johnnychips

Established Member
You can just about see Sheffield Cathedral spire from the run in from Meadowhall but you have to know what you are looking for, as it doesn’t stand out much. I literally looked two minutes ago.

ChrisC

Established Member
In addition to views from the WCML and Cross City Line, the three spires of Lichfield Cathedral can also be seen in the distance from the Derby to Birmingham line between Burton and Tamworth.

RH Liner

The traditional link between Church of England Cathedrals and City status was established at the reformation but it broke down in the Victorian era. I think Southwell was the first place to be established at a Church of England Cathedral, without being awarded City status.

There has never been such a link for Roman Catholic cathedrals, Arundel being an example.
I read somewhere that Southwell could not be made a city because it was technically, a village, having only a parish council within Southwell Rural District. It now has a town council, but the local football club, which until this season played in the shadow of the cathedral, still proudly call themselves Southwell City. To return to topic, I don’t think the cathedral was visible from the former Southwell station.

The Church of England Cathedrals that definitely can't be seen from trains are Gibraltar, Wells, Peel and Ripon. Southwell may be able to be seen from trains but I am not sure.
No, it can’t.

Status
Not open for further replies.