• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Classes of train that pass under/over the A road of the same number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transmanche

Established Member
I'm going to start with Class 43s, which go over the A43 at Kettering on the MML.

Class 68s have worked along the Tyne Valley line, where they cross the A68 just east of Riding Mill station. And Class 67s on the ECML will have crossed the A67 north of Darlington. Similarly, Class 66s on the WCML will have crossed the A66 south of Penrith, or on the ECML crossed it just south of Darlington

Historically, the Class 501s crossed the A501 as they passed through Shoreditch on the route into Broad Street.

I'm fairly certain that a Class 37 must have crossed the A37 (Bristol-Dorchester) at some point and a Class 47 has definitely crossed the A47 (Norwich-Birmingham)!

Last edited:

Master29

Established Member
I wonder if A4 steam engines ever used the London to Bristol?

DelW

Established Member
The current A1 diverges from its historic route in many places, but I think the ECML crosses both in a number of places, so both original locos and Tornado will have crossed it.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This is all very silly, but I would say that A 37 has probably been under/over the A37 this last couple of weeks.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What about locos that are stuck on the back of low-loaders for transit - would they count as they might have actually been down a bit of the "A" road concerned!

Kite159

Veteran Member
156s pass over the A156 at Gainsborough

If 158s ever run Lincoln - Grimbsy services they will pass the A158 just outside Lincoln

If 185s ever get diverted via the Durham coast, they come very close to passing the A185 at Heworth

sprunt

The A56 passes over the WCML twice between Acton Bridge and Runcorn/Warrington Bank Quay. I daresay a class 56 goes along that bit from time to time.

AM9

Veteran Member
Not much chance of EMUs being eligible. The ac EMUs are all in the 3xx or 7xx range so not much chance of being south of the Thames. As for dual voltage 3xx classes, the A313 and A319 roads are well into SWR territory, and the A377 connects Exeter to Barnstaple. All of the roads in the A4xx range are west and north of London, so no matches with 4xx classes in DC land. Similarly, there are no DC tracks for class 507s and 508s to run on anywhere in Beds or northants.
The only other option would be if GWR or LNER lent their 80x trains to Scotrail.

Groningen

Established Member
The 76 class of the Netherlands can pass the A76 at station Beek-Elsloo (Sittard -Maastricht).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I will now make it my life mission to get the north downs AC electrified, and reallocate the 323s from the West Midlands to it.

Back to reality, I presume 08 shunters shave trundled around most of the Scotland Central belt at some point. And would a Class 25 ever have made it down the MML to Cricklewood in their last few months in late ‘86 early ‘87?

Jonny

Established Member
Not much chance of EMUs being eligible. The ac EMUs are all in the 3xx or 7xx range so not much chance of being south of the Thames. As for dual voltage 3xx classes, the A313 and A319 roads are well into SWR territory, and the A377 connects Exeter to Barnstaple. All of the roads in the A4xx range are west and north of London, so no matches with 4xx classes in DC land. Similarly, there are no DC tracks for class 507s and 508s to run on anywhere in Beds or northants.
The only other option would be if GWR or LNER lent their 80x trains to Scotrail.

... or if a Class 801 gets sent to Stirling via Linlithgow!
(very hypothetical as they haven't even started service running yet).

Jonny

Established Member
And would a Virgin West Coast Class 57 (doing Bolton drags prior to electrification) coming through Central Manchester have gone over the A57 at some point?

si404

Established Member
The ac EMUs are all in the 3xx or 7xx range so not much chance of being south of the Thames.
But perhaps the 7xxs could go to the Central belt. And 3xx roads get outside the ex-Southern Region A312, A355, A308, A321, A329, A340, A339, A338 all cross AC-electrified GWML (I'm assuming Swindon is wired). There's potential, though though not likelihood.
All of the roads in the A4xx range are west and north of London, so no matches with 4xx classes in DC land.
The B470 at Datchet is a possibility if we expand to B roads, but there's no class 470.

LNER runs trains to Stirling, if an 801 does that, then it goes under the A801 near Polmont. This one is a definite one to check and see - it's quite likely.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Wires up to Aberdeen, please! Then there might just be a slim chance of 90s and 92s complying. I'm not sure what the status of the class 89 is these days - has it ever made it to Coatbridge Central?

d9009alycidon

The A59 is the road that crosses the North end of Preston Station, and historically class 59s have been on trial over Shap so this one must count

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
A Class 60 must've crossed the M60 at Stockport and over Chat Moss at some point in their lives.

Edit: A Deltic has been to Blackpool North so has passed under the M55.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Cravens A62 stock was built in Sheffield, not quite "oop north" enough to have crossed the A62 which runs from Leeds to Manchester...

JamesRowden

Established Member
In the past there is also the distinct possibility of class 207/0s crossing the A2070 at Ham Street and then running direct beside the road to Ashford.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Let’s go really niche.

Has a steam loco with a certain wheel arrangement ever crossed an A road of the same number?

For example has an A4 Pacific 4-6-2 ever been on the Grand Junction between Bescot and Wolverhampton and crossed the A462?

I’m only half joking!

Trainfan344

Established Member
If the Saint class locomotive currently being built by the Great Western Society gets restored to 4-4-2 wheel arrangement and loaned to the Severn Valley Railway then it'd pass under the A442 just outside Kidderminster...

Status
Not open for further replies.