• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Colourful station names

Status
Not open for further replies.

341o2

Established Member
Liverpool Lime Street
Any station in Liverpool counts as Liver is a colour (or shade of a colour)
As is Sand, Camber Sands on the former Rye & Camber
Romney Sands on the RH&D.
Sand Hutton Light railway
On the national network Sandal & Aggbrigg, Sandbach, Sanderstead, Sandhills, Sandhurst, Sandling, Sandown, Sandplace, Sandwell & Dudley, Sandwich, and Sandy
Wheat is also another shade of brown - Wheathampstead
Likewise Dun - Bridge of Dun
Tan - Tan-y- Bwlch and Tanygrisau

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Any station in Liverpool counts as Liver is a colour (or shade of a colour)
As is Sand, Camber Sands on the former Rye & Camber
Romney Sands on the RH&D.
Sand Hutton Light railway
On the national network Sandal & Aggbrigg, Sandbach, Sanderstead, Sandhills, Sandhurst, Sandling, Sandown, Sandplace, Sandwell & Dudley, Sandwich, and Sandy
Wheat is also another shade of brown - Wheathampstead
Likewise Dun - Bridge of Dun
Tan - Tan-y- Bwlch and Tanygrisau

(My bolding) -- Since we're getting into "abandoned" stuff -- on the Midland & Great Northern Joint system, which I greatly love: Bluestone (between Melton Constable and North Walsham).

341o2

Established Member
I see oak has been mentioned, a colour I associate with fence paint, but Burnt Oak, Gospel Oak Oakworth, and Sevenoaks don't appear to have been mentioned.
Camel - Camelford.
What a pity there was never a station at Vandyke Jcn on the Leighton Buzzard sand railway.
Canary Warf
Flint
Rose Grove

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
At this point, there are probably shades in the Dulux archives called things like Hag Fold and Six Mile Bottom. They must be running out of names by now!

Springs Branch

Established Member
At this point, there are probably shades in the Dulux archives called things like Hag Fold and Six Mile Bottom. They must be running out of names by now!
Even before this thread came along, I had always thought Chatelherault sounded like a pretentiously-named shade of paint which might appeal to a nice middle-class couple doing a rather tasteful house renovation.

While in that neck of the woods, and now we're up to post #70, so presumably allowed to start getting silly:-

Not a colour per se, more a pattern involving bright combinations of colours: Paisley - in three colourful variants, classic 'Gilmour Street', hipster 'Canal' and upmarket 'St James'. Available from a retailer near you.

Last edited:

Future

Ivybridge
Hayle
Redruth
Reddish (South and North)
Also, might be pushing it but: Gun(metal)nislake and St E(a)rth :D

snowball

Established Member
Pontefract Tanhill
Stanford-le-Hope
Stanlow and Thornton
Whatstandwell

Cherry Tree

SteveyBee131

A few perhaps slightly obscure ones I don't remember being mentioned yet...

Kirk Sandall
Sandal & Agbrigg
South Elmsall
Meadowhall

randyrippley

Established Member
Not sure if this Trivia has been covered so please feel free to post any links if its already been covered.

But examples of colourful stations are Wylde Green and Whitehaven. Wonder if theres more??
not much colour in Whitehaven.................

If Irish stations are allowed - and the title of the thread doesn't specify that they're not - how about Blackrock and Greystones?
Or Dublin if you want to speak Irish

or maybe Penrith as detailed in this reply by "The Prisoner" in the Welsh names thread

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
Orange on the SNCF Paris to Lyon mainline, fond memories of taking part in a performance of Rigoletto at the former Roman amphithetre in the town

341o2

Established Member
Blanche, Chemin Vert, Luis Blanc, Maison Blanche and Croix-Rouge (cl 1939) on the Paris Metro

National Rail Scotland:

Blackridge
Greenock Central
Greenock West
Greenfaulds
Whitecraigs

Edinburgh Trams:

Balgreen (Edinburgh Trams)

Berlin S-Bahn:

Grünau
Grünbergallee
(Ignoring Grunewald because it has a u and not a ü)

Berlin U-Bahn:

Rotes Rathaus
(Ignoring Rosa-Luxemborg-Platz because, although 'rosa' means pink, it's someone's name)
(Ignoring Schwartzkopffstrasse because although 'schwarz' and 'schwartze' mean 'black', 'schwartz' does not)

Fawdon (Tyne & Wear Metro) derives from the Old English for 'hill of many colours'.

The next station, Wansbeck Road, suggests an absence
of colour, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.