• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Craziest/Weirdest bus terminus locations in London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chislehurst, Gordon Arms

Appeared on (some) blinds (some, now all, just said ‘Chislehurst’ instead) as short-stop points for the 160 & 162 in the 00s and early 10s

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Chislehurst, Gordon Arms

Appeared on (some) blinds (some, now all, just said ‘Chislehurst’ instead) as short-stop points for the 160 & 162 in the 00s and early 10s
It was a terminus overrun by buses in the days when the 227 and 228 terminated there. At the time when RFs worked the 227 it saw two or three of them together there during daytime, except on Sundays. Chislehurst has always been a difficult place to terminate buses, hence so many bits of route being almost thrown together over the years in a rather haphazard way to avoid terminating there. Through it all the 161 perseveres, though much diminished in status now. Sidcup Garage closing did Chislehurst no favours.

More pub termini
Dagenham, Chequers
Enfield Highway, Red Lion
Bromley Common, Crown
Wimbledon Park, Woodman
Colnbrook, The Harrow
Epping Forest, Wake Arms

I guess Park Lane, Hilton Hotel might be pushing it a little bit, though. :smile:

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
Walthamstow Crooked Billet was also a terminus, then a short working for route 34

MotCO

Established Member
Chislehurst, Gordon Arms

Didn't they also appear on 61 terminators?

Mike99

I don't think Addiscombe 'Black Horse' has been mentioned yet, 12, 12A and in long ago days the 50 and also the 289

MotCO

Established Member
Don’t believe so, it’s always just said ‘Chislehurst’ on them, as long as I lived down there
Metrobus's Fleetlines had Gordon Arms as a validator.
Picture shows a blue and yellow Metrobus DMS bus in Orpington showing Chislehurst Gordon Arms in its destination box

BrianW

Established Member
Yeading, White Hart
Greenford Red Lion is / was another pub based terminus.
I always found 'North Finchley, Tally Ho!' to be a particularly fun destination.
IIRC (!) the 90B terminated at Yeading at Kingshill Avenue, turning just short of Yeading Lane, in the junction of Edwwrd Road, which has had its kerblines built out sinceL https://www.google.com/maps/place/K...5340204!4d-0.4117931!16s/g/1td3fj4p?entry=ttu
It was later extend to Yeading White Hart as my 1964 London Transport Central Buses Map and List of Routes testifies on the map; on the list it is described only as Yeading.
Also IIRC all the buses terminating at Greenford displayed Greenford Red Lion, though the bus stand was at Greenford Market.
Tally Ho is marked as the North Finchley terminus for five routes )(as I recall seeing on bus destination blinds), though the listing says only North Finchley.
The only pubs 'listed' as destinations are for the 74 from Camden Town (via the Zoo) to Putney Hth (Green Man), extended weekdays to Telegraph Inn; the 168 from Putney Heath (Green Man); and the 38 extended Summer Sundays to Epping Forest (Wake Arms). The 38s 'normal' Chingford terminus is 'mapped' as Royal Forest Hotel. I made good use in my youth of the Red Rover ticket! Now there's a (now demolished!) pub name? https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2510355

MotCO

Established Member
About 20 years before my time haha
I 've also found First Centrewest Olympian (sorry, can't post a link) also showing Gordons Arms in 1996. What's your excuse now? !! (Sorry, funny emoji not showing on my phone)

DJS76

Enfield Lock 'RSA' (later Swan and Pike Road) was always an interesting one. A small turning circle which was also the entrance to a car park at the end of a narrow lane

I 've also found First Centrewest Olympian (sorry, can't post a link) also showing Gordons Arms in 1996. What's your excuse now? !! (Sorry, funny emoji not showing on my phone)
Given I physically didn’t exist in 1996, keep trying ahah :D

PeterC

Established Member

341o2

Established Member
The Noak Hill Pentowan terminus of the 174 was a remote reversal in a farmyard. Survived (for limited journeys) until 1980.
Still remote today https://www.google.com/maps/@51.624...e0!5s20221001T000000!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu
Thanks for that, there is also Passingford Bridge, basically a roundabout in the middle of nowhere, where you can turn a bus.
Enfield Island, terminus 121
Lea Valley Campsite 215
Which London trolleybus route used to terminate at "Near Willesden Junction"?
Chessington World of Adventure

ChilternTurbo

Certain journeys on Route 251 were (and possibly still are) turned short at Highwood Hill The Rising Sun. the BL class Bristol LHs had the pub name on their blinds where as the laster Darts just stated Highwood Hill.

Anyway, I seem to remember on one occasion a Metroline Dart overshooting the junction and demolishing part of the pub and ending up in the bar!

EDIT: Link to an image of the badly damaged The Rising Sun pub after the accident

PeterC

Established Member
Thanks for that, there is also Passingford Bridge, basically a roundabout in the middle of nowhere, where you can turn a bus.
These days it's the first place north of Chase Cross where you can turn a bus.

341o2

Established Member
Certain journeys on Route 251 were (and possibly still are) turned short at Highwood Hill The Rising Sun. the BL class Bristol LHs had the pub name on their blinds where as the laster Darts just stated Highwood Hill.
Happy memories of Route 251 during the RF era, which also used to terminate at Burnt Oak
Anyway, I seem to remember on one occasion a Metroline Dart overshooting the junction and demolishing part of the pub and ending up in the bar!

EDIT: Link to an image of the badly damaged The Rising Sun pub after the accident

This reminds me of another unusual destination, Clapton Pond, where due to mechanical issues, one bus ended up taking the destination rather too literally

MotCO

Established Member
This reminds me of another unusual destination, Clapton Pond, where due to mechanical issues, one bus ended up taking the destination rather too literally
If I recall correctly, this was on the first day of single deck Metro Scania operation. I had not heard it was mechanical failure before - do you know what happened?

delt1c

Established Member
If I recall correctly, this was on the first day of single deck Metro Scania operation. I had not heard it was mechanical failure before - do you know what happened?
It was a Scania MS. I knew the driver involved.

Last edited by a moderator:

jumble

A good example of this would be the 380 which terminates right at the gates of Belmarsh Prison. Any other odd examples?
We find the H13 terminus at St Vincent's quite sweet
It is in the middle of nowhere and has its own turning loop
Far more like a country bus than TFL
To get to its destination at Ruislip Lido takes about the same time as walking as the bus goes all around the houses (literally)
We often park at St Vincent's and walk to the Lido to swim from the Doggy Beach

Regards
The Spaniels

BrianW

Established Member
We find the H13 terminus at St Vincent's quite sweet
It is in the middle of nowhere and has its own turning loop
Far more like a country bus than TFL
To get to its destination at Ruislip Lido takes about the same time as walking as the bus goes all around the houses (literally)
We often park at St Vincent's and walk to the Lido to swim from the Doggy Beach

Regards
The Spaniels
Reminds me of one of the variants of the then 98 bus (98b?) which ran somewhat round the then houses 'back in the day'. IIRC it was lost through 'rationalisation' relating to increasing car ownership and declining bus usage, and strikes. It ran from Hounslow to Hatch End- ish, depending on day of the week. It looks like Ruislip Lido is served by only the H13 these days, the 97, 158 and 211 being 'history'. At least it's stiil; open- is the Miniature railway thriving? By contrast West Ealing Lido, a cinema, also served then by the 97 bus, has long gone: http://www.ealingtoday.co.uk/default.asp?section=info&page=ealido001.htm. That Lido was IIRC an occasional terminus for buses to or from Southall or Hanwell bus garage.

Sussexwatch

In the 60s and 70s the 247 and Green Line 721 terminated at Brentwood, Robin Hood & Little John and the 86 went to 'Limehouse, Eastern Hotel' When the pub was renamed The Londoner the destination was changed to just 'Limehouse'.

In RLH days (1955-70) the Upminster local route 248 terminus was shown as 'Hall Lane, River Drive' but buses continued one further stop to Avon Road and then reversed into Severn Drive. On return they picked up in Avon Road with the 86/193 but in those days there was no bus stop at River Drive, towards Upminster Station so the first stop in Hall Lane was by the Golf club entrance.

341o2

Established Member
I did say "issue" rather than "failure"

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Reminds me of one of the variants of the then 98 bus (98b?) which ran somewhat round the then houses 'back in the day'. IIRC it was lost through 'rationalisation' relating to increasing car ownership and declining bus usage, and strikes. It ran from Hounslow to Hatch End- ish, depending on day of the week. It looks like Ruislip Lido is served by only the H13 these days, the 97, 158 and 211 being 'history'. At least it's stiil; open- is the Miniature railway thriving? By contrast West Ealing Lido, a cinema, also served then by the 97 bus, has long gone: http://www.ealingtoday.co.uk/default.asp?section=info&page=ealido001.htm. That Lido was IIRC an occasional terminus for buses to or from Southall or Hanwell bus garage.
The 98B finished in London Transport hands in January 1966 with an overtime ban by bus drivers and conductors. Its Northern end was taken over by an independent operator by agreement with L.T. and, through various operators, the most well-known of which was Elms Coaches, continued off and on for many years, eventually morphing into the 398 which was eventually taken back into LT hands!

BrianW

Established Member
The 98B finished in London Transport hands in January 1966 with an overtime ban by bus drivers and conductors. Its Northern end was taken over by an independent operator by agreement with L.T. and, through various operators, the most well-known of which was Elms Coaches, continued off and on for many years, eventually morphing into the 398 which was eventually taken back into LT hands!
Thank you for that info Busaholic - good to know that my memory from 60 years ago (ok, 57 and three-quarters!) was quite good- I had a mini-stroke three months ago, so reassuring to know I haven't 'lost it'. My typing's not so good, though! Brian

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Thank you for that info Busaholic - good to know that my memory from 60 years ago (ok, 57 and three-quarters!) was quite good- I had a mini-stroke three months ago, so reassuring to know I haven't 'lost it'. My typing's not so good, though! Brian
You're very welcome, Brian. I have to admit my connections with N.W. London bus routes were mostly tenuous and infrequent, but I was the guy at London Transport responsible for monitoring West London bus stops for a few months fifty odd years ago so did get to know specific places a little better! The job did include those 98B stops in theory, though I never visited any. May I wish you all the best, and be reassured you've lost nothing!

Roger1973

There's a bit more about route 98B (and Richmond Hill route 235 which also passed to an independent operator around the same time) here on the 'Countrybus' web site, and a 1968 Commercial Motor article about the 98B with Elms Coaches in their archive here. (it's usually easier to do the 'zoom page' option, as the text has been 'read' by an automated thing which is not always reliable.)

BrianW

Established Member
There's a bit more about route 98B (and Richmond Hill route 235 which also passed to an independent operator around the same time) here on the 'Countrybus' web site, and a 1968 Commercial Motor article about the 98B with Elms Coaches in their archive here. (it's usually easier to do the 'zoom page' option, as the text has been 'read' by an automated thing which is not always reliable.)
Thank you fprthat interesting article. 1966 was very early days for the GLC, tho' Horace Cutler ws leader of harow Council (the only concil to survive reoganisation). He went on to promote the sales of Council houses, an early Thtcherite. Perhaps the 98B might be seen as an early example of 'privatisation'. Many f the houses around NW London were 'cutler' built.

Status
Not open for further replies.