• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Earliest 'last connection' of day

Status
Not open for further replies.

etr221

Coming out of another thread, a trivia question: what is the earliest 'last connection' that needs to be made for an arrival that (traffic) day?

A quick look for a likely contender gives Newton Abbot arr 0650 (from Torre, etc.) into 0659 dep, for connection at Birmingham, and then others, to get to Wick before midnight (miss it - and you won't be there much before noon the following day) ... but is there actually an earlier one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A S Leib

The earliest I've found so far is slightly later - 07:05 arrival and 07:22 departure at Craven Arms to get from Llandrindod to Kyle of Lochalsh via Crewe and Edinburgh.

Shotton

I'm sure it can be beaten, but, the best I could find is the 04:58 arrival at Barnham from Bognor Regis. If this misses the 05:15 departure then you wouldn't be able to make it to Rosslare Europort (via Fishguard Harbour) until 05:30 the next day rather than 17:30.

Topological

It feels like this needs some sort of division by distance, as otherwise the answer must be going from one corner of the UK to the other.

My mind does wonder if there is a station with just one service per day that can provide shorter distance last connections.

The 0006 is the last connection from Runcorn East to Ince and Elton.

Edited to add that I noticed the question specifies that “traffic“ day. In which case, the 0437 is the last connection from Llandudno Junction to Ince and Elton. What counts as the beginning of a “traffic” day needs defining really though

Last edited:

A S Leib

06:14 arrival, 06:24 departure at Rugby for Coventry – Polesworth?

05:53 arrival, 06:01 departure at Northampton for Milton Keynes Central – Polesworth.

etr221

06:14 arrival, 06:24 departure at Rugby for Coventry – Polesworth?

05:53 arrival, 06:01 departure at Northampton for Milton Keynes Central – Polesworth.
One to beat!

My thinking re "traffic" day was to include trains considered part of the previous days service, usable by ticket dated the previous day, arriving after midnight but before the station closes for night. Or in other words, question is to avoid an overnight stopover.

I was also thinking of journeys on (and only on) the GB National Network (so no ferries, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.