• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[Trivia] Easiest railway line to reinstate that would not be required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
What would be the simplest and easist railway line to reinstate that would not be required or needed in this day and age?

This might be one that:
* goes through the countryside with not many people around to use it
* was once only or mostly used for goods traffic

Alternatively any other reason you care to think of.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I looked at the thread title's first word and thought it might be a new TOC...

infobleep

Veteran Member
Probably a very short one. Bit of a silly question really.
I don't think it's silly. It's trivia. It's not ment to he taken utterly seriously.

At least it makes a change from people saying that they should reopen lines that have no chance of being reopened.

I actually hadn't considered short lines. I don't know how many there would have been.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I would suggest my local line - the former Hopeman Branch of the Highland Railway. Track still exists until just outside Burghead, although I believe it was due to lose its connection to the Inverness - Aberdeen line at Alves during the recent re-signalling. The road bridge in Burghead would need rebuilding (or replacing with a level crossing), and a bit of the embankment has collapsed between Burghead and Cummingston. Other than these issues one or two houses may need to be demolished, but the trackbed and structures are largely intact.

Utterly pointless, though :)

HowardGWR

Established Member
I don't think it's silly. It's trivia. It's not ment to he taken utterly seriously.

At least it makes a change from people saying that they should reopen lines that have no chance of being reopened.

I actually hadn't considered short lines. I don't know how many there would have been.
You can alter (as OP) your title to read Trivia instead of Travia. You clearly have not noticed, by this reply. Top right on your first post. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

BigCj34

The Foxfield-Coniston branch, certainly to Torver though maybe after that about 500m of the A593 uses up the tracked.

JohnRegular

You could reinstate the Meon Valley line as far as West Meon; I think the only engineering hurdle is a single bridge out.
However, without the line continuing to the main line at Alton, it serves no settlements larger than Wickham (pop. ~4.5k) and wouldn't facilitate through services to London, so there would be no point.

You'd also have a very hard time getting it past the locals, as it is a well used walking and cycling path; does that count for the purposes of this thread?

infobleep

Veteran Member
You could reinstate the Meon Valley line as far as West Meon; I think the only engineering hurdle is a single bridge out.
However, without the line continuing to the main line at Alton, it serves no settlements larger than Wickham (pop. ~4.5k) and wouldn't facilitate through services to London, so there would be no point.

You'd also have a very hard time getting it past the locals, as it is a well used walking and cycling path; does that count for the purposes of this thread?
This is about lines that are not needed that could be reinstated fairly easily.

If Me on Valley the route is public right of way and diverting that route would be really difficult then it woudn't. Otherwise yes it counts.

xotGD

Established Member
Plenty of colliery branch lines to pits that have closed.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Plenty of colliery branch lines to pits that have closed.
Though I'd argue that in some cases those would be a good addition to the network. Take Royston in South Yorkshire. The Monk Bretton branch passes right past the small town (or large village, I'm not sure...) centre but is only used for freight and occasional training and post-refurb mileage accumulation runs. Since the pit closed, residents must use cars or buses along the winding roads to get to Wakefield, Barnsley and beyond for work. If they had a train to Wakefield and Leeds, I imagine they'd use it in fairly large numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.