• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Examples of rail tickets that don't show destination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miken

Tonight's ticket from Heathrow T2 to Heathrow T4 on the Elizabeth Line. It doesn't state the destination but clearly states where you can't travel to. Is this unique?

Attachments

• 20230522_202751.jpg
    20230522_202751.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 547
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
All rovers/rangers won't show a destination (since there is no destination, only valid areas), but I think that's a bit of a stretch of the question.

ijmad

Established Member
"London Terminals" and "London Thameslink" aren't exactly specific destinations

Alex365Dash

Well I couldn't think of anything else :D
To be fair, I don’t think there are many answers to the question!

All rovers/rangers won't show a destination (since there is no destination, only valid areas), but I think that's a bit of a stretch of the question.
Related to that, the Southern DaySave is technically not a ranger but displays the destination of "Any Southern Train", which since it’s not really a static place, I’d also argue doesn’t show the destination…but that’s probably also stretching the question in case your destination is 377 111 :lol:

Springs Branch

Established Member
I'm guessing the OP is mainly looking for current examples*, but I will mention that long before Oyster, the standard daily diet for single tickets on the London Underground was a card ticket showing the origin station, the date and the ticket price.

This was valid to "any station to which that fare applied" but no destination was shown.

IIRC, something like yellow-coloured card with a thick, brown magnetic coating on the back if bought from vending machines / for use in automatic barriers, or pale green card if bought at a ticket office / for use via a manual gate.

London_Underground_ticket_1981.jpg

(Image shows yellow card London Underground ticket, value 60p, issued at Piccadilly Circus)
Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:London_Underground_ticket_1981.jpg

* - and also is ignoring the trivial example of Platform Tickets.
Although these usually seem to show the station of issue, so could be said to have destination of "the platform at that station”

Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
Glasgow Subway tickets show neither the origin nor the destination station.

Tonight's ticket from Heathrow T2 to Heathrow T4 on the Elizabeth Line. It doesn't state the destination but clearly states where you can't travel to. Is this unique?
Only because they've run out of the blue branded stock that basically would otherwise state the destination.

The exile

Established Member
I'm guessing the OP is mainly looking for current examples*, but I will mention that long before Oyster, the standard daily diet for single tickets on the London Underground was a card ticket showing the origin station, the date and the ticket price.

This was valid to "any station to which that fare applied" but no destination was shown.

IIRC, something like yellow-coloured card with a thick, brown magnetic coating on the back if bought from vending machines / for use in automatic barriers, or pale green card if bought at a ticket office / for use via a manual gate.

(Image shows yellow card London Underground ticket, value 60p, issued at Piccadilly Circus)
Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:London_Underground_ticket_1981.jpg

Although these usually seem to show the station of issue, so could be said to have destination of "the platform at that station”
ISTR that for a while back in the early 80’s Edinburgh Waverley was issuing some tickets off rolls (came up through a slot in the metal counter like admission tickets for cinemas etc at the time). Did they show a destination or just a fare?

cocoiadrop

Roundabout tickets issued from a TVM in the Strathclyde area will show "Roundabout" as the destination and are printed as an off-peak single

Photo of a paper ticket as described above

jonnyfan

In Greater Manchester, the accompanied child tickets will show the origin station, and the destination as 'GM Acmp Child'.

bluegoblin7

Established Member

LUL tickets are still issued as 'Point of Origin', that is they show the issuing station and fare paid, rather than the destination.

Springs Branch

Established Member
LUL tickets are still issued as 'Point of Origin', that is they show the issuing station and fare paid, rather than the destination.
I didn't know that - shows how long it is since I last bought a paper ticket for the Tube.

Platform tickets?
Permit to Travel tickets similarly show (or showed - are these still a thing?) the origin station and sum paid without a destination.

In the early days of PayTrains, guards were equipped with bus conductor-style ticket machines. Tickets issued from these showed the fare paid and origin station (using a numeric code, like a bus fare stage, rather than explicit station names). I'm sure I saw an image of one of the small square Almex variety (IIRC pink in colour) on the internet not so long ago but can't track it down now.

And I suspect some shorter-distance tickets on the North London Line were once issued in the "Origin plus fare paid" format, without a specified destination.

Ken H

On Moderation
I didn't know that - shows how long it is since I last bought a paper ticket for the Tube.

Permit to Travel tickets similarly show (or showed - are these still a thing?) the origin station and sum paid without a destination.

In the early days of PayTrains, guards were equipped with bus conductor-style ticket machines. Tickets issued from these showed the fare paid and origin station (using a numeric code, like a bus fare stage, rather than explicit station names). I'm sure I saw an image of one of the small square Almex variety (IIRC pink in colour) on the internet not so long ago but can't track it down now.

And I suspect some shorter-distance tickets on the North London Line were once issued in the "Origin plus fare paid" format, without a specified destination.
Here is one issued on a bus. https://flic.kr/p/9b3kGv
Ticket 946 issued on route 248 at stage 08 for 7p machine number 0947.
No date but the driver would enter the last ticket issued on his waybill at each terminus so its almost impossible to reuse tickets.

So you cant issue tickets for onwards connections because an inspector would not have the waybill. So an Ilkley - London passenger would buy an almex ticket to Leeds. He woukd then go to thecticket office inside the barrier at Leeds and excess his ticket to get to London.

The bit that says London Yransport not transferable is a plate in the machine. As Springs Branch says, on a BR machine this would print a table of 'stages' and station names. You would have to ensure the machine had the right plate for the route.

D6975

Established Member
Croydon tram tickets don't have a destination, just a time limit in which to complete your journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.