• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Examples of three or more stations in a row that are less than a mile apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
There are a number of cases, mainly in London and the other major cities, where two stations are less than a mile apart: three-quarters of a mile, half a mile or even quarter of a mile. For example I believe that Brondesbury and Brondesbury Park on the North London Line are only a quarter of a mile apart.

I wondered if there are any examples on the national rail network of three or more stations in a row (i.e. both stations A & B and stations B & C) that are less than a mile apart.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

higthomas

Well, taking your example and extending it anlittle, Brondesbury is at 3 miles 36 chains, Brondesbury is at 3 miles 71 chains, and Kensal Rose is at 4 miles 41 chains.

Pretty much every pair of consecutive stations on the North London line is less than a mile apart.

Peter0124

Established Member
Argyle Line:
Scotstounhill -> Garscadden (34 chains)
Garscadden -> Yoker (78 chains)

Argyle Line:
Argyle Street -> Glasgow Central Low Level (28 chains)
Glasgow Central Low Level -> Anderston (34 chains)
Anderston -> Exhibition Centre (41 chains)

Cathcart Circle Line:
Pollokshields West -> Maxwell Park (40 chains)
Maxwell Park -> Shawlands (53 chains)
Shawlands -> Pollokshaws East (30 chains)
Pollokshaws East -> Langside (42 chains)
Langside -> Cathcart (57 chains)
Cathcart -> Mount Florida (53 chains)
Mount Florida -> Crosshill (43 chains)
Crosshill -> Queens Park (35 chains)
Queens Park -> Pollokshields East (33 chains)

So basically the entire Cathcart Circle excluding to/from Glasgow Central.

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
Rhiwbina, birchgrove and ty glas in cardiff
In fact any adjacent three of the five stations between Ty Glas and Coryton (four inter-station gaps totalling 1m 37ch).

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
I've got the builders in, some of my books are shielded from dust and dirt by plastic and consequently I don't have access to my track atlas, but: Stratford and Maryland are very close together and Forest Gate is not so very far away. They could be a contender.

Snow1964

Established Member
Norbiton, Kingston, Hampton Wick

Worthing stations, Durrington and Goring by Sea all seem close

Last edited:

Efini92

Established Member
Manchester Piccadilly 188m 77ch
Oxford Road 189m 29ch
Deansgate 189m 57ch

BingMan

There are a number of cases, mainly in London and the other major cities, where two stations are less than a mile apart: three-quarters of a mile, half a mile or even quarter of a mile. For example I believe that Brondesbury and Brondesbury Park on the North London Line are only a quarter of a mile apart.

I wondered if there are any examples on the national rail network of three or more stations in a row (i.e. both stations A & B and stations B & C) that are less than a mile apart.
, Ashbury's, Ardwick Manchester Pic, Manchester Oxford Road, Deansgate. All less than a mile between adjacent stations.

geoffk

Established Member
Bricket Wood, How Wood and Park Street; St. James' Park, Exeter Central and St. Davids; Ryde Pier Head, Esplanade and St. John's Road. Two of these considered as possible light rail conversions.

D821

At least three of the stations on the Liverpool loop must be within a mile of each other, I'd guess. Moorfields, James St & Lime St & Central.

Coolzac

Worthing, West Worthing, Durrington, Goring by Sea must be a good shout. You can literally see both Goring by Sea and West Worthing Stations from the Durrington platforms.

Whisky Papa

Flixton, Chassen Road and Urmston, just over a mile in total.

Urmston to Humphrey Park is also just over a mile, but if you go a bit further, Urmston to Trafford Park is still under two miles.

scrapy

Established Member
, Ashbury's, Ardwick Manchester Pic, Manchester Oxford Road, Deansgate. All less than a mile between adjacent stations.
If it's as the crow flies (which the OP doesn't specify) then Ashburys to Belle Vue is less than a mile, you can then continue to Ryder Brow and Reddish North all less than a mile apart.

Also in Greater Manchester, Kearsley, Farnworth and Moses Gate.

daodao

Established Member
In fact any adjacent three of the five stations between Ty Glas and Coryton (four inter-station gaps totalling 1m 37ch).
Beat me to it. You can see Rhiwbina and Coryton stations from Whitchurch as the line is straight.

Other examples in Greater Manchester include Hale/Altrincham/Navigation Road and Hazel Grove/Woodsmoor/Davenport.

Other examples in Wales include:
  • Hope/Caergwrle/Cefn-y-Bedd (on the Borderlands line)
  • Llanbedr/Pensarn/Llandanwg (on the Cambrian Coast line)
  • Maesteg/Maesteg (Ewenny Road)/Garth (on the Llynfi Valley line)
  • Treherbert/Ynyswen/Treorchy (on the Rhondda Fawr line)
  • Energlyn/Aber/Caerphilly (on the Rhymney Valley line).

Last edited:

leytongabriel

The Enfield Town line between Bethnal Green and Edmonton Green might have some e.g. Cambridge Heath - London Fields - Hackney Downs or Seven Sisters-Bruce Grove-White Hart Lane. But I don't have the means of checking.

Neo9320

Not sure about the exact distances, but Weston-super-mare, Weston Milton and Worle are all pretty damn close.

Ediswan

Established Member
The Enfield Town line between Bethnal Green and Edmonton Green might have some e.g. Cambridge Heath - London Fields - Hackney Downs or Seven Sisters-Bruce Grove-White Hart Lane. But I don't have the means of checking.
Google Maps, right-click, measure distance.

Parallel

Established Member
Any outside major urban areas?
I'm not sure on exact distance but Bradford-on-Avon, Avoncliff and Freshford are close to each other.

Also Exton, Lympstone Commando and Lympstone Village.

snowball

Established Member
There are also several websites (streetmap.co.uk is one) where you can see Ordnance Survey maps, which are divided into 1km squares, which are handy for rough estimates of distance.

And there's railmiles which will give you the rail distance between any two stations in miles and chains (up to 10 queries per day free of charge).

Purple Train

Established Member
Canonbury and Caledonian Road & Barnsbury are 1 mile and 1 chain apart. Highbury & Islington is pretty much exactly halfway between them. Finchley Road & Frognal is just under two miles from Kensal Rise, five stations away.

Neo9320

There are also several websites (streetmap.co.uk is one) where you can see Ordnance Survey maps, which are divided into 1km squares, which are handy for rough estimates of distance.

And there's railmiles which will give you the rail distance between any two stations in miles and chains (up to 10 queries per day free of charge).
Ah! Great tool! Thank you!

So my Weston example is 2 miles 71 chains. Scratch that one!

miklcct

On Moderation
Are there any three consecutive stations where the first and the third are less than a mile apart?

Status
Not open for further replies.