• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Fictional Railways in Media

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloster

Established Member
In Nevil Shute’s The Chequer Board (1947) some of the action is set in the small Cornish town of Trenarth, supposedly the Junction for the ‘north coast line’ and also only a couple of stations from Camborne. This would make it GWR, probably based on Chacewater, but one of the character’s father is a signalman who had previously worked at Wadebridge, which would only have had Southern signalmen. (I am fairly sure of my memory on these details.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
I read Shute's The Chequer Board -- not many years ago -- but had completely forgotten the railway connection as above. (Seem to do this a lot -- some railfan I am :frown: !) With Shute's having been a clued-up guy about technical / industrial matters: he must for sure have had, three-quarters of a century ago, the Big Four railway companies on his radar. However -- so far as we know, he wasn't a besotted railway enthusiast as such; and maybe the Wadebridge / GWR north coast matter here, was just a slip-up on his part -- the Great Western / Southern [LSW] set-up around Bodmin, was pretty confusing. Or perhaps our signalman friend had fallen out with his SR employer, and got work with the GWR instead? -- I gather that this kind of rationalisation re oddities in fiction, is vulgarly known as "fanwanking".

I've read a fair number of Shute's novels -- far from all -- he was a prolific writer: in an otherwise-busy, and not particularly long, life. Those I've read vary for me, along a scale from "splendid" to "utterly awful". (The Chequer Board, I rated as pretty good.) An "utterly awful" one for me, is The Far Country, published 1952: involving assorted high-profile issues of that period, including Britain's post-WWII times of hardship and austerity (re this, I gather that Shute was "agin" the 1945 -- 51 Labour government). Britain's then miseries and hard times, vividly contrasted with conditions at the same time, in Australia. Other stuff prominent in those years, also plays a part. A friend of mine -- not usually a great reader -- found himself enchanted by The Far Country, and strongly urged me to read it. I had a go -- more than one, in fact -- but each time, found the book so very "hackneyed and glurgy" that I couldn't stomach it: gave up before the end; the second time, for good. One small thing recalled, from TFC -- at one point, an Australian character is putting forward the view that at that particular time in history, Australia is a better place to live than probably the majority of the other countries in the world; while acknowledging that Aus. has its faults, in which he includes, "crook railways". "Crook" here, in its Australian sense of "ailing / messed-up" -- one takes it that the guy is referring to Australia's idiosyncratic case of the different-gauges problem.

Another of Shute's which I have, is Pied Piper (1942 -- in part I feel, purpose strengthening Allied morale). Again, considered by me "pretty good" -- with a goodly bit of rail-featuring. "Condensed" content: suspenseful journey by basically naive civilians, at the time of the fall of France in early summer 1940, from the Jura mountains to -- as it pans out -- the north coast of Brittany, seeking to get away and reach Britain. Much of the journeyings, "to" and "from", are by rail of various kinds: from what I can figure out, Shute had an overall accurate idea of rail matters in France as at the onset of World War II. At one point of all this, I think I've caught Shute out in an error. By assorted ways -- rail, and getting lifts by road, and trying as best they can to "beat" the German advance -- the hero and his companions have got to Angerville, halfway between Paris and Orleans. They are attempting to get ever westward, to attain ahead of the Germans, some coastal spot where they'll be able to take ship for Britain. They learn by chance, that the roadside steam tramway from Angerville westward 50-odd km. to Chartres, is still running; and duly catch and travel on it -- reaching Chartres in three hours (good going, vis-a-vis the basic mode of transport, and the extra-ordinary circumstances !).

Sorry, Nevil -- per Davies's Minor Railways of France, the metre-gauge Tramways de l'Eure-et-Loir, which included the line from Angerville to Chartres; were an early victim of road competition -- the whole system abandoned by 1936; so would no longer have been around in 1940. There were a fair number of cases in which after the fall and occupation of France: in the ensuing conditions of hardship and shortages, assorted recently-abandoned rail lines, both standard and narrow gauge, were reopened including for passenger traffic; but even had the T de E-e-L Angerville -- Chartres line still been physically in place in summer 1940, with workable motive power / coaching stock on hand -- at the time of the novel's action, everything is in flux and chaos -- reopenings only started to happen, when the occupation was an established thing.

A small oddity: shortly before reaching Angerville, our heroes pass through Pithiviers, a little way south-east thereof. The Germans have not yet got there; but it strikes "our lot" as a ghastly place -- "a beastly, sordid little town" -- where the group pick up and take on with them a child refugee, who will clearly otherwise be shunned, handed over to the Germans when they arrive, or worse. Bryan Morgan in The End of the Line -- telling of factual journeys a decade after the fictional ones of Shute's book -- calls Pithiviers "a horrible place". I have to wonder: what is it with this hapless community? -- of railway note, for being at one end of France's last 600mm gauge public line, to survive: the Tramway Pithiviers -- Toury (Morgan got to the area just too late to travel on this line before passenger closure; perhaps that has something to do with his jaundiced view of the place). There is a preservation operation which runs, at the Pithiviers end, a couple of kilometres of this 600mm line. I feel something of a wish to visit this venue -- largely, just to see whether Pithiviers strikes me as the nadir of France's "c*** towns"; or whether its general "bad rap" is unfair and unmerited.

Last edited:

Sorcerer

Any monorail from Gerry Anderson's Supermarionation universe. None of them are named iirc, except for the Pacific Atlantic Monorail from the Thunderbirds episode Brink of Disaster. Thunderbirds also features the Anderbad Express, though that's a named train rather than a line. There's also a direct line from Paris to Monaco in an episode of Captain Scarlet, which is later used in the episode to catch out the 2 Mysteron agents. A monorail in Japan also plays as a setting for the first multi-episode story arc in the 2015 Thunderbirds reboot.
Oh my, how could I forget the Thunderbirds monorails! I must say though, it certainly hasn't aged well with depicting that style of transport as the future.

John Luxton

Established Member
Oh my, how could I forget the Thunderbirds monorails! I must say though, it certainly hasn't aged well with depicting that style of transport as the future.
I am still trying to work out how the nuclear powered airliner "Fireflash" functioned or even got of the ground. :D

krus_aragon

Established Member

Gloster

Established Member
I am not particularly concerned about small errors of detail in novels: I just accept that such can happen and there are probably ones that I miss and others see. It is only a bit annoying if the error affects the plot: you know some important point can’t work in reality. The detail about the signalman in The Chequer Board is only a minor one that doesn’t affect the story, but there is (if I remember correctly) a fairly important one towards the end of Robert Harris’ Enigma.

John Luxton

Established Member

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I have a feeling it might have been to safeguard themselves from even a remote chance of legal action from aggrieved people who happened to share a surname with a character; certainly it seemed to happen a lot. Aldous Huxley had a crooked 'Lord Aldehyde'. I'd go for the Southern myself. Joe Birkbeck, private investigator. Inspector Bromley, his nemesis and occasional ally, Mary Cray, his girlfriend, Motspur Parke, a crooked lawyer, etc etc.
Just make sure you don't spell it Mary Kray or you might get a visit from a character you really didn't want to meet! :)

Serial 2 (or Assignment Two) of Sapphire & Steel is set at an abandoned and boarded-up rural station, which is haunted by the ghost of a WW1 soldier who departed from there and never returned,

Sorcerer

Heading back to the subjects of fictional rail transport in Thunderbirds, the 2004 live-action film adaptation by Jonathan Frakes featured a fictional monorail across the River Thames in London. While the film was largely unfaithful to it's own source material, at the very least it was pleasing to see that this fictional monorail was used for one of the more faithful moments in the film where International Rescue saves drowning passengers in a sinking carriage.

martinsh

Established Member
I can think of a number of these, mainly from my childhood days.

Pride of place must go to Steam on the Line by Philip Turner (1968). Tells the story of the introduction of steam to the narrow gauge Devils Back & Darnley Mills (Light) Railway. This was very much based on the Ffestiniog with gravity worked slate trains, locos looking like Prince and single Fairlies, plus a tunnel in the middle of the route. However, despite the hero being called Taffy Hughes. other (non railway) books about Darnley Mills make it clear that it is on the east coast of England. The only other railway reference in the series is War on the Darnel (1969) where a sub-plot involves contemporary restoration of the railway.

Calthrop

Established Member
One that has come to mind, raising thoughts of perhaps revisiting: another which came my way via my preparatory school's library; as mentioned by me upthread -- the headmaster was a railway enthusiast, hence plenty of rail-related material in the library. A French work of fiction, aimed essentially at a juvenile readership. A slight bit of mystery is involved -- I learn that the author was one Michel Bourguignon. The book was in our school library, translated into English under the title Line of Attack. Reckon that I must have read it there, in 1960. Any research via the Net would seem to find reference only to this English version, allegedly published in 1959 -- no mention of the French original, or what its title might have been -- Ligne d'Attaque, perhaps? -- but my French is not of a high enough standard to know what wordplay / idiom subtleties there might be; whereby the French title might be something altogether else. With the availability in 1960, of the published English version: reason strongly suggests that the book was written and published in France at least a few years earlier -- but, no obvious way to know.

The book revolves around two fictional villages in Brittany, Belmont and Camarec: with long-standing mutual hostility between them. They have had respective, and sequential, stations on a rural rail line; which at the time of the book's action, has relatively recently closed to all traffic. The children of the two villages take part enthusiastically in the feud: those of one village, discover that a diesel railmotor which had worked on the line, is present -- disused but still functioning -- in a shed at the village station; they figure out how to operate the vehicle, and get it moving once more, and use in their mock warfare against the rival village's kids. (One infers that this situation -- improbable in the first place; but, "artistic licence" -- could never have come about on property of the SNCF or its metre-gauge offshoot the Reseau Breton: it is seen, that these things must be happening on some late-surviving line of the lesser Interet Local metre-gauge railways in the Brittany peninsula. I don't recall at this distance in time, whether the gauge of the venue concerned was specified in the text.)

The elapsing of most of a lifetime has wiped out from my memory, nearly everything that actually happens in the kids' rail-operating; just that there is some kind of denouement -- happily, without anyone getting killed or badly injured -- which brings to the adult villagers' notice, what the brats have been up to: they step in quickly and forcefully, and put a stop to it -- a positive result being something of an improvement thereon, in relations between the two villages. I recall a sad little vignette: one of the kid heroes of the action -- after appropriate parental chastisement, and reconciliation -- asks his father whether, in view of what has been discovered, there might be a chance of genuine reopening of the rail line, under local initiative. Dad replies, a little sadly, "I don't think so; the fact is, very-rural local rail lines have had their day."

I find that this book (English version) is obtainable from Amazon; am tempted to follow up accordingly. (There has been a thread on these Forums -- in the "International Transport" sub-forum, titled The White Rat -- commenced 31 / 3 / 2020: about assorted French fiction for kids re grown-up stuff, general 1950s era -- including some rail-related; Line of Attack among same.)

ETA: have just ordered it from Amazon -- a fraction under £10 -- as birthday present to self.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
One that has come to mind, raising thoughts of perhaps revisiting: another which came my way via my preparatory school's library; as mentioned by me upthread -- the headmaster was a railway enthusiast, hence plenty of rail-related material in the library. A French work of fiction, aimed essentially at a juvenile readership. A slight bit of mystery is involved -- I learn that the author was one Michel Bourguignon. The book was in our school library, translated into English under the title Line of Attack. Reckon that I must have read it there, in 1960. Any research via the Net would seem to find reference only to this English version, allegedly published in 1959 -- no mention of the French original, or what its title might have been -- Ligne d'Attaque, perhaps? -- but my French is not of a high enough standard to know what wordplay / idiom subtleties there might be; whereby the French title might be something altogether else. With the availability in 1960, of the published English version: reason strongly suggests that the book was written and published in France at least a few years earlier -- but, no obvious way to know.

The book revolves around two fictional villages in Brittany, Belmont and Camarec: with long-standing mutual hostility between them. They have had respective, and sequential, stations on a rural rail line; which at the time of the book's action, has relatively recently closed to all traffic. The children of the two villages take part enthusiastically in the feud: those of one village, discover that a diesel railmotor which had worked on the line, is present -- disused but still functioning -- in a shed at the village station; they figure out how to operate the vehicle, and get it moving once more, and use in their mock warfare against the rival village's kids. (One infers that this situation -- improbable in the first place; but, "artistic licence" -- could never have come about on property of the SNCF or its metre-gauge offshoot the Reseau Breton: it is seen, that these things must be happening on some late-surviving line of the lesser Interet Local metre-gauge railways in the Brittany peninsula. I don't recall at this distance in time, whether the gauge of the venue concerned was specified in the text.)

The elapsing of most of a lifetime has wiped out from my memory, nearly everything that actually happens in the kids' rail-operating; just that there is some kind of denouement -- happily, without anyone getting killed or badly injured -- which brings to the adult villagers' notice, what the brats have been up to: they step in quickly and forcefully, and put a stop to it -- a positive result being something of an improvement thereon, in relations between the two villages. I recall a sad little vignette: one of the kid heroes of the action -- after appropriate parental chastisement, and reconciliation -- asks his father whether, in view of what has been discovered, there might be a chance of genuine reopening of the rail line, under local initiative. Dad replies, a little sadly, "I don't think so; the fact is, very-rural local rail lines have had their day."

I find that this book (English version) is obtainable from Amazon; am tempted to follow up accordingly. (There has been a thread on these Forums -- in the "International Transport" sub-forum, titled The White Rat -- commenced 31 / 3 / 2020: about assorted French fiction for kids re grown-up stuff, general 1950s era -- including some rail-related; Line of Attack among same.)

It looks as though the book is still available under the title Les Chevaliers de l’Autorail (roughly The Knights of the Autorail).

Calthrop

Established Member
It looks as though the book is still available under the title Les Chevaliers de l’Autorail (roughly The Knights of the Autorail).

Thanks for that -- good title ! As above: have just ordered it from Amazon (English version; I have some competence in French, but -- lazy in my approaching old age -- will find English a lot easier).

Gloster

Established Member
Thanks for that -- good title ! As above: have just ordered it from Amazon (English version; I have some competence in French, but -- lazy in my approaching old age -- will find English a lot easier).

I generally avoid rereading books that I read as a child, although there was a series of three Fell Farm books that I did reread. I mildly enjoyed the first two but the third was a bit of a disappointment, other than the first chapter which is a description of a journey from Euston to Windermere around the end of the war. Other than that the few I can still enjoy include The Eagle of the Ninth, Watership Down and The Wind in the Willows; the chapter The Piper at the Gates of Dawn in the last has some marvellous prose in it.

Calthrop

Established Member
The Wind in the Willows, I regard as deathless -- haven't looked at it for a long time, but hope to re-read it once more before I die. (It even has an Edwardian-in-a-high-degree railway element, involving Toad's prison-break.) My one "beef" about TWitW, is its thorough villainisation of most of the Mustelidae family -- I have a soft spot for stoats and weasels ! I once read an "alternative", including politically so, parody of TWitW -- if I remember correctly without looking up, titled Wild Wood, by a guy called Jan Needle: a socialist version, where the stoats / weasels / ferrets are the good guys (the central character is an earnest young ferret called Baxter); and Toad is a hateful selfish oppressive and uncaring aristocrat; and Mole, Rat, and Badger, his purblind middle-class lickspittles. Feel this to be -- no matter where one's own social / political sentiments may lie -- a marvellously original idea; but I seem to recall that the book's actual shaping and execution were disappointingly feeble.

Status
Not open for further replies.