• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Furthest you've seen someone carried beyond their intended stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Sometime in the 1990s I was on a Branch Line Society Railtour from Manchester Piccadilly to Dorrington and several West Midlands branch lines, we got to Wilmslow when this guy with a big smelly Golden Retriever asked "What time do we arrive in Darlington", he stomped off at Crewe and using some rather colourful language.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Barney07

I remember back in my early days as a guard, sue pollard boarded the train at york and her driver put her in 1st class with her bags etc, i did the last call doors are closing etc, dispatched from york and went to do a PA when sue approached me and said sorry my driver is still on the train and he is in the short stay car park, i said tell him to sit down and enjoy the ride as next stop is kings Cross she was fine when i went to see them and i sorted out the issue of the car too.

Bessie

I remember back in my early days as a guard, sue pollard boarded the train at york and her driver put her in 1st class with her bags etc, i did the last call doors are closing etc, dispatched from york and went to do a PA when sue approached me and said sorry my driver is still on the train and he is in the short stay car park, i said tell him to sit down and enjoy the ride as next stop is kings Cross she was fine when i went to see them and i sorted out the issue of the car too.
In charge of the PA with Sue Pollard on board - I would be so tempted to say "Hi-de-hi campers!"

Spamcan81

Some years ago a mate of mine was travelling home from the GBBF. Got on the train at KGX travelling to Hitchin but fell asleep. When staff woke him he found himself still in KGX having been to Peterborough and back. Luckily the last train of the night back to Hitchin was still in its platform so he did get home but a fair few hours later than he intended. His other half wasn't impressed.
Furthest I've managed to be over carried was Cambridge when I should have alighted at Letchworth. Last train out of Cambridge had already departed so that was an expensive taxi ride home. Beer festivals have a lot to answer for. :)

Stampy

Just remembered another one...

Coming back from a football game in deepest Suffolk (Needham Market, IIRC) a friend and myself decided to visit a local bar in Cambridge (as we had a 3/4 hour wait for our Birmingham New Street train) and duly arrived back just in time to catch said train.

Both of us fell asleep, but luckily I'd had the idea of setting an alarm on my phone to wake me up for my Peterborough stop.

Alarm wakes me as we pass through Whittlesea, and as I stand up to get off, I nudge my mate (who was getting off at Stamford) awake...

2 hours later, I get a text off him...

"Help, I've just been woken up at Birmingham New Street "

Spartacus

Established Member
Sometime in the 1990s I was on a Branch Line Society Railtour from Manchester Piccadilly to Dorrington and several West Midlands branch lines, we got to Wilmslow when this guy with a big smelly Golden Retriever asked "What time do we arrive in Darlington", he stomped off at Crewe and using some rather colourful language.

I’ve known stuff like that happen with charters too. A lucky couple once boarded a BLS Merseyrail tour somewhere and got a run to where they needed to go via a couple of disused sidings! It’s understandable when the stock’s the same or similar to what’s normally used, but I’ve known people board steam charters with maroon Mk1s!

Bikeman78

Established Member
Back in the 1990s I rode a Swansea to Edinburgh rugby special. Nice set of mark 1s hauled by a RES 47 to Crewe for a RES 86 forward. At Crewe an elderly lady boarded expecting to go to Holyhead. When we went storming through Warrington she realised she was on the wrong train. Luckily for her, the train stopped at Preston. I think the guard arranged for the train to stop there to let her off.

I’ve known stuff like that happen with charters too. A lucky couple once boarded a BLS Merseyrail tour somewhere and got a run to where they needed to go via a couple of disused sidings! It’s understandable when the stock’s the same or similar to what’s normally used, but I’ve known people board steam charters with maroon Mk1s!
The EPB farewell tour in 1995 stopped at platform 2 at Redhill before heading back across to Tonbridge. Numerous people tried to get on expecting it to go to East Croydon or Victoria. In fact numerous normal passengers did get on at London Bridge for the short journey to Charing Cross thus unwittingly becoming the last ever fare paying passengers to travel on an EPB.

Jezza

Years ago, (late1980’s/90’s) I used to charter trains to support various day outs. A regular was Potters Bar to Folkestone Harbour via the North London Line, (Finsbury Park, Camden, Hampstead Heath, Willesden Junc H.L., Kew, Barnes, last pick up Clapham Junc.)

On board services included a continental breakfast with warm croissants and hot tea and coffee for about 500 people followed by Buck’s fizz, all served by Medical Students dressed in clean rugby shirts who were rewarded with a free day-trip to Boulogne. A Jazz band played in the baggage area.

There was a party atmosphere almost from the outset and by the time we reached Clapham, things were swinging even at 07:50 on a dreary December Saturday morning.

We used platform 3. Imagine the surprise when a commuter, intentionally bound for Waterloo and then the City, discovered on passing Longhedge junction, that the next booked stop was Folkestone Harbour, some 80 miles distant!

Luckily, I noticed on the working timetable there was a crew change booked at Swanley and he was dropped off. At least he got a coffee and a bun and was entertained by the team and the jazz band.

Polar Express? – eat your heart out! This was many years in advance of your tour and was real!

I wonder how he explained his late arrival to his boss!!!

Whistler40145

Established Member
As a young teenager, myself, sister, my mother and a family friend were travelling to Windermere from Preston, all with Bicycles, my wonderful Mum asked a member of platform staff if the train went through Oxenholme, so on we get in the Guards Van, we set off and then after 5-10 minutes we entered Oxheys Loop, guess what, the train we should’ve been on speeded by on the mainline, so eventually we set off, sped through Oxenholme and had to spend over two hours in Carlisle before the next train south to Oxenholme.

The downside was on arrival at Windermere railway station, we then had to cycle to our Caravan near Hawkshead.

I enjoy reminding my lovely Mum, don't you dare ask if this train goes through a station.

philjo

Established Member
Some years ago a mate of mine was travelling home from the GBBF. Got on the train at KGX travelling to Hitchin but fell asleep. When staff woke him he found himself still in KGX having been to Peterborough and back. Luckily the last train of the night back to Hitchin was still in its platform so he did get home but a fair few hours later than he intended. His other half wasn't impressed.
Furthest I've managed to be over carried was Cambridge when I should have alighted at Letchworth. Last train out of Cambridge had already departed so that was an expensive taxi ride home. Beer festivals have a lot to answer for. :)
A few years ago in snowy weather a number of passengers were unable to alight at Letchworth as the doors in their carriage had frozen (317). They alighted at Baldock from the next coach. Though they had to wait 45 minutes for a train back.
Had a near miss the same winter. On the Cambridge branch the platforms are all the same side. Boarded OK but platform 1 at Stevenage the doors are on the opposite side and found the doors on that side of the train had all frozen. Fortunately the platform staff noticed and made the train wait - only 1 set of doors on that side of a 4 coach unit was opening.

My grandfather fell asleep one evening. He should have alighted at Hitchin but we got a phone call asking to collect him from St Neots.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I worked with someone in LU in the 1980s who lived in Brighton. He became very 'tired' after a pub visit one evening and woke up on the second down journey - i.e. having been to Brighton and back to Victoria in the meantime!

As a young teenager, myself, sister, my mother and a family friend were travelling to Windermere from Preston, all with Bicycles, my wonderful Mum asked a member of platform staff if the train went through Oxenholme, so on we get in the Guards Van, we set off and then after 5-10 minutes we entered Oxheys Loop, guess what, the train we should’ve been on speeded by on the mainline, so eventually we set off, sped through Oxenholme and had to spend over two hours in Carlisle before the next train south to Oxenholme.

The downside was on arrival at Windermere railway station, we then had to cycle to our Caravan near Hawkshead.

I enjoy reminding my lovely Mum, don't you dare ask if this train goes through a station.
Reminds me of my Mum, who, shortly after we moved to Ashtead from New Malden in 1981, was at Clapham Junction and asked about the next train to Ashtead. The staff member thought she said Ash, and chaos ensued when she took his advice!

Last edited:

gordonthemoron

Established Member
1980, someone got on the Flying Scotsman at Newcastle, wanting to get off at York I think. First stop was Kings Cross :D worst I've done is getting off at Doncaster instead of Grantham

DarloRich

Veteran Member
1980, someone got on the Flying Scotsman at Newcastle, wanting to get off at York I think. First stop was Kings Cross :D worst I've done is getting off at Doncaster instead of Grantham

I have seen that a couple of times at York when the fast train which is non stop to Kings Cross pulls in and people for intermediate stops are told to get off and board the train in the adjacent platform ( the slow train). Most do. Not all.

tankmc

I was on the Grand Central from Sunderland when when two girls got on at York wanted to get to Sunderland. They had a shock when they discovered the next stop was London Kings Cross.

gordonthemoron

Established Member
I have seen that a couple of times at York when the fast train which is non stop to Kings Cross pulls in and people for intermediate stops are told to get off and board the train in the adjacent platform ( the slow train). Most do. Not all.

1979, I wound up in Heaton Depot after falling asleep on the last train from Hartlepool. I was woken up by a cleaner, it was a long walk back to Castle Leazes

Barney07

I was on the Grand Central from Sunderland when when two girls got on at York wanted to get to Sunderland. They had a shock when they discovered the next stop was London Kings Cross.
Yes had that alot from york people wanting to go north and just jumped on as the doora were closing, got a stop sometimes at doncaster but then we were told not to ask again.

hozza94

Heard an experience from one of my colleagues.
Our office is at Croydon and the colleague lives in Crawley.
After the yearly Christmas party, the colleague boarded a Thameslink, intended to be picked up at Three Bridge but fell asleep.
Woke up at Brighton, thinking that he would go back to Three Bridges, fell asleep again!
Woke up again at East Croydon with the train going southbound (so he was overcarried to maybe Blackfriars?)
Was told his partner was not happy at all when he got picked up at Three Bridges at 5am!

APT618S

Remember being on a railtour with D172 Ixion where a couple got on at Chesterfield intending to have a day out in Sheffield on the assumption that all northbound trains stop at Sheffield.
Instead they had to have a day out in Newcastle !
Probably this tour:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I worked with someone in LU in the 1980s who lived in Brighton. He became very 'tired' after a pub visit one evening and woke up on the second down journey - i.e. having been to Brighton and back to Victoria in the meantime!
One of my colleagues, after a Christmas Party at work, took the Tube from Holborn with the intention of catching his train home from Kings Cross. When he woke up, he was still travelling towards Kings Cross, but he was at Leicester Square, two stops further back than he had started, having travelled to both ends of the Piccadilly Line.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
1979, I wound up in Heaton Depot after falling asleep on the last train from Hartlepool. I was woken up by a cleaner, it was a long walk back to Castle Leazes

Students! ;) That is a fair walk at night.

I once fell asleep on the northern line and woke up at Morden. Night bus back to Camden. might have had an ale or 7

philthetube

Established Member
I once woke up in Mill Hill East as well! Intended to travel from Balham to Tooting Broadway, but fell asleep due to the booze! Also the last train of the night - I was very kindly given my own private tube train which dropped me off at Finchley on the way back to the depot, from where I got 2 night buses home, arriving some time after 3am, with only a few hours sleep before a 9am start at work the following same morning.
You must have passed the attitude test.

Chesham seems to be another favourite place for people to be stranded, and that is not a good place to be stuck at 01.15

Conversations with stranded passengers always go the same way.

where does the night bus go from, (No night bus)
Where can I get a taxi, (outside the station but it will cost around £100 to get to a night bus at harrow).
Can I sleep in the Station, (No sorry).

If they are polite at this time they have a chance of a ride to Rickmansworth, provided permission can be obtained.

For info Chesham is the most northerly point on the underground and is in Bucks.

island

Veteran Member
Mine are a bit boring as a regular Southeastern user, and mainly amount to people joining one of the two morning peak Bexleyheath line trains that do not call at Lewisham, and winding up with a trip to London Bridge and back. Since services to Gravesend via Sidcup fast from London Bridge to New Eltham are now an all day thing rather than a couple of evening peaks, people know about them more now.

No mention of the 18:03 Penzance and the 17:15 Swansea trains from Paddington that are billed as pick-up only at Reading. Surely somebody must have been on a train that didn't stop at Reading at all, travelling non-stop from Paddington to Taunton or Swindon respectively, thereby catching out commuters who habitually ignore the set down restrictions on those service knowing that they normally stop at Reading to pick up passengers. Maybe those RUK members remembering seeing such events were caught out themselves.
It’s one story that’s done the rounds for quite some time, for sure. The Penzance variant usually arises where a relief train was started at Reading as the story goes the people who boarded at Paddington for Reading end up met by RPIs at Taunton (or Exeter in some versions) and issued PFs.
A couple of observations; does jumping on a random train travelling in completely the wrong direction count as "overcarrying", and does anyone ever get chinged for the excess fare (an inadvertent peak hours trip from the North West to/from London Euston could well prove to be eye-wateringly expensive!)
Subject to passing the attitude test, most passengers are carried back free of charge to wherever it is they intended to travel, if there is a service available.
I too once let my jacket go on a day trip from New Street off to Derby with keys etc (while I went to the cricket at Edgbaston). Extra trip to pick it up - luckily remembered before it got to Newcastle....
I’ve left a hold-all, a suitcase, and a jacket on various local trains over the years, and in each case have contrived to find the train on its next trip and retrieve my item intact.

A0wen

On Moderation

My brother and some friends had a night out in London to head back to Welwyn GC got the last train out of Kings X - this old boy, East European asked them if it was the train to Peterboro - which they said it was but told him he was in for a long journey. Brother and friends had enjoyed a few drinks and fell asleep on said train and woke up just as it was arriving in Peterboro - the only other passenger being the the old boy they'd told was in for a long journey....

One I'll own up to about 30 years ago meant a few guys at Stevenage one evening ended up going the scenic route to Knebworth. I'd been to the cinema with a friend and we were waiting for one of the last trains back to WGC, the platform was fairly busy and there was this group of guys - about half a dozen of them - who were messing around on the platform, being noisy and generally irritating - you could tell the other passengers on the platform were getting a bit fed up with them. In those days the fast train (next stop Finsbury Park) would arrive a couple of minutes before the stopper. These guys weren't listening to the station announcements, so as a train pulled into the station, one of them turned to me and said "this the Knebworth train mate?" - "Oh yes" I replied. On all but one of them bundled for a nice, fast trip to Finsbury Park. The stopper which arrived a couple of mins later, was a nice quiet train that evening !

pitdiver

When I worked on the Met at Watford Christmas eve was always a good time. Last Northbound would roll in and a few party goers would tumble off. " Can you tell me where I am I wanted to get off at Preston Rd or somewhere like that". " When's the next train" "2 days time I would reply on the 27th". There was a taxi office outside the station, however it would have now been Christmas day so I wonder what the fare was even in those days?

KeithMcC

Many years ago on a fast Glasgow train, first stop Preston - foreign gent wanted Preston Road Met Line and had been rather misdirected by someone at Euston. Of course he may have had the American habit of only using the first word of a placename in which case it was his own fault!
After a Christmas Dinner a colleague caught the train to Waterloo but woke up in Eastleigh.
My former boss worked in London but lived in Chippenham and managed to wake in Plymouth on one occasion.
I lived in St Albans in the early 80s, before the wires were live, when the last train home from London was the Sheffield mail, first stop St A. I always worried about missing the stop and I had friends who did, but one night one of them woke up to find the train starting to move off and made a dash out of the door, to find he was at Cricklewood after a signal stop.

Spamcan81

In 1975 two trains ran to Eastleigh for the open day. One from Paddington and the other from Bristol. Both trains ran into the diesel depot where we alighted and rejoined the trains. While waiting to board the London train we noticed a guy from our carriage board the Bristol train and off he went. I often wonder how far he got before realising his mistake.

I went to get a train from Manchester to Macclesfield 30 years ago and ended up in Buxton.
Overcarried many times between Littleborough and Walsden/Todmorden.
I asked a platform dispatcher years ago at Bolton for the next train to Shaw. I ended up in Blackburn-It did have Shaw on the destination blind, But you would think he knew which train he was dispatching.

QJ

Had a few mishaps in my time including nearly getting arrested by a Swiss Customs officer as a result of over-dossing on trains owing to too many overnights on rail rovers (mostly overseas) though I did end up in Weymouth once when I was heading south from Leeds to Birmingham on an overnight summer service.

The altercation with the Swiss was in pre Shengen days when I was having a mini bash with an overnight CC72100 move after a few consecutive overnights in Austria. I had intended to get off the train from Paris at Mulhouse but did the classic wake up just before the train moved off. Got in the queue at Basel SNCF station to go through customs still in a semi comatose state and mistook a signal from the Customs officer to walk on past (she was dealing with someone at the time). Oops! Pounced on and led away to a side room whilst she tried to figure out a way for me to be arrested. Fortunately my travel documents covered my accidental return to Toblerone land and she reluctantly let me go when her boss intervened.

I’ve also ended up in the reversing siding in one of the Paris metro lines and woke up the carriage sidings in Culmont Chalindrey. Reading triangle sidings was also griced by my presence owing to lack of sleep. There have been other occasions too numerous to mention.

The most mileage over carried through oversleeping on a train was Strasbourg to Munich.

I have overcarried owing to timetable changes. The most notable was jumping on a train at Woking late one evening expecting it to stop at Basingstoke only for the train to sail through at 60mph. This was made worse by watching the last up train of the day storming past just before arrival at the next stop. I ended up walking from Winchester home. That was fun - not.

Other long walks through not checking the timetable included Dives Cabourg to Caen owing to no return train from Dives to Trouville for four days and no buses as it was a public holiday in Normandy.

Another classic not reading the small print in the timetable had me spending a very chilly night on a platform bench in Hieflau (Austria). Heading up the valley towards Hieflau on the last train of the day there seemed plenty of time to make the last train off Hieflau in the other direction despite late running. That was until the train I was on veered left up a side valley on approach to the town and terminated in the goods station. A dash through the town to the main station failed as I got to the shack the last departure rolled out. With no obvious hotels or guest houses in the vicinity it was doss on the station time putting on all the clothing I had in my bag in order to keep warm. If I had read the small print I would have noticed the train I was on terminated in the goods station. I ticked off some track since closed though as it was back to the unit I had got off the previous evening as it was the first train out and travelled to Eisenerz and back to the main station in Hieflau.

And on an occasion back in the UK I jumped on an Adex at Cardiff returning to Swansea in order to kill some time before catching the overnight Fishguard boat train to London. I hadn’t factored in the loco going bang somewhere in the middle of nowhere. By the time the rescue loco got the train to Swansea the intended London train had long gone. However, there were trains to Swansea that had got stuck behind the failed ADEX including one with passengers travelling to Ireland via Rosslare. So I joined them and spent the day in Dublin to save trying to find a hotel in Swansea at silly o’clock in the morning. I got back to London a mere 24 hours later than expected!

My favourite faux pas involved the Deux Montagne suburban service out of Montreal. Sadly for me the box car locos had been replaced by Bombardier units by the time I got to travel the line. So I duly got on the unit at Central station in Montreal and settled in for the ride. Upon arrival at Deux Montagne I stood by a set of carriage doors I had boarded in order to detrain. Nothing. Then the train moved off further down the line beyond the passenger limit. I ended up in the Bombardier depot! The driver was about to get off when he spotted me and pointed out that there was another set of doors that I should have used as the stations on the line other than Central station had low height platforms. Oops! The driver walked off leaving me looking out the train window at rows of stored diesel locos made redundant by recently acquired more modern locos for the Montreal suburban services. There was even a Mexican railway liveried loco parked nearby. I couldn’t resist the temptation of photographing the locos I could see only to be suitable bellowed at over the depot tannoy system and told to desist forthwith.

I’ve had a few undercarries too. Most have been easy to correct either by leaping back on sharpish or waiting for the next train. The one that sticks in the memory the most was when using a West Midlands Rover and wasn’t caused by me but the person I was travelling with. On a Saturday evening after getting your fill of class 20, 25, 37 and 47.3 haulages on Summer Saturday services custom was to catch a Bristol bound cross country to head off the Glasgow sleeper at Cheltenham so you get the bankers for haulage (in the loose sense of the term). On this particular day the cross country train got diverted to call additionally at Worcester SH. my friend, who had fallen asleep, mistook the additional stop for Cheltenham and sleep walked off the train. Whilst attempting to wake him up and get back in board the train left with no direct means of getting back to the West Midlands within the validity of the ticket. The only way back without enormous expense was to catch the last train to Bristol (class 50 off a Paadington to Worcester service) then the sleeper to Paddington (back when you could) followed by a train out of Euston. Happy days!

Last edited by a moderator:

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I wonder if this thread has been inspired by the music hall song "Oh! Mr Porter" so often sang by Marie Lloyd in those far-off days, that had a chorus of.....

"Oh! Mr Porter, what shall I do?
I want to go to Birmingham
And they're taking me on to Crewe.
Take me back to London, as quickly as you can
Oh! Mr Porter, what a silly girl I am"
One of my dear grandmother's favourite songs. She had her own "Mr Porter" moment too. Well into her eighties, she used to travel between her daughters in London and Lincoln. When they took the direct midday train off, my aunt made sure she knew she would have to change at Newark, which she negotiated successfully -the first time. The second time she failed to turn up at St Marks, much to my mother's consternation. Three hours later she arrived at our house in a taxi, having ended up at Doncaster where the staff had found her a direct train to Lincoln (rare as hens' teeth as they are).

MrEd

I too once let my jacket go on a day trip from New Street off to Derby with keys etc (while I went to the cricket at Edgbaston). Extra trip to pick it up - luckily remembered before it got to Newcastle....
I’ve lost count of the number of phone chargers, shaver chargers, tubes of toothpaste and even keys which I’ve left behind in my berth on the northbound Fort William sleeper after getting off at Spean Bridge (you’re always in a rush to get off as the stop comes up a lot quicker than you’d expect, particularly when one of the sleeper drivers takes advantage of the straight run on a falling gradient through Roy Bridge to make up time)... once I left something important behind and had to spend some time at Fort William the next day while the station staff tried to find it- they did in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.