• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Furthest you've seen someone carried beyond their intended stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
But you would think he knew which train he was dispatching.
No they don't. I've tried asking dispatchers at Waterloo for information too. To quote Tom Lehrer

"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department" say Wernher von Braun"

I went to get a train from Manchester to Macclesfield 30 years ago and ended up in Buxton.
My son recently did the opposite, ended up at Marple Rose Hill when he was supposed to be at the Buxton Opera House.

Two separate errors on one track-bashing trip, mainly to do the far North Line but taking in some Clydeside branches on the way back.

On arrival back at Inverness from Wick I found the Glasgow portion of the overnight train (there was such a train in 1980) was rather crowded so I found an empty compartment in the Edinburgh portion and stretched out for the night, with the intention of moving to the Glasgow portion before it divided at Stirling - confident in the knowledge that I never slept right through on overnight trains. This time was different, probably because I had also spent the previous night on a train. I woke up under the gaze of a pretty young lass (a novel experience for me!) who informed me that we had just left Linlithgow. Fortunately there was enough slack in my schedule to allow a quick switch at Haymarket to get back on course.

That evening, a misreading of the timetable had unfortunate consequences. My peregrinations around Clydeside eventually brought me to Motherwell with just enough time to get up to Glasgow Central for the last train to Euston. But I decided to be clever and wait for it at Motherwell. Unfortunately, I had misread the timetable. The Euston train called at Motherwell on Mondays to Fridays, but today was Saturday, when it didn't. I did manage to get a direct train to Birmingham, and another to Rugby, by which time it was about 3am and I had a four hour wait for the next train to London. Rugby has little to recommend it in the wee small hours of a Sunday morning. i

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

etr221

On a slightly different tack, the London Midland Region used to have a notice in Polish (their only one? this was in the early 70s) - at Broad Street, to tell prospective passengers that perhaps they wanted the establishment next door (whence trains to Harwich (for ferries to Europe) departed).

Parallel

Established Member
I was on a SWR train going to Bristol Temple Meads and on arrival at Bath, a lady asked the guard when we were getting to Salisbury. He said Salisbury was 4 stops ago and to get off at Bath and get the next Portsmouth train. She then had a go at him saying that it was no good as that would make her late for her appointment. Some people will never understand that they are responsible for their own life. Even more concerning that the PIS was working and the train also had an extended stop at Salisbury on the way up whilst the train split with the Exeter portion...

CW2

Established Member
Back in the 1980s I worked for a while in Leeds Control. I commuted in from York, and usually managed to get there without incident. Some other controllers commuted from the Sheffield area (following the closure of Sheffield Control), and a few lived locally to Leeds. One such lived in Garforth, and when on night shifts would go home on a 31-hauled service destined to Hull. One night he had us in stitches with his tale of his journey home the previous day. He had got in the train at Leeds, dossed out - as usual - and woke up arriving at Garforth - as usual. No problem there... but he had a feeling that something was wrong. The sun seemed awfully high in the sky for the time of the morning, and he couldn't recall crossing the footbridge. Eventually he realised: He had travelled all the way from Leeds to Hull, where the train stood in the platform for about 30 minutes before forming a service back to Leeds. He remained on board - completely dossed out, and only awoke as the train rumbled into Garforth station several hours later than expected, and from the wrong direction.

I've had several overdosses whilst on rovers in the UK, but because I wasn't on a fixed itinerary it wasn't too much of an issue.

Personally: sailing through Upper Warlingham (well, not stopping at Sanderstead was the first hint...) when I've rushed for the train at E Croydon P6 : having seen it was an E Grinstead, but not realised the fast one was 4 min late, and left at the same time the stopper usually did. Next stop: Oxted...
My then girlfriend, who was definitely not a rail fan had the same overcarry, but she was on a Thumper heading to Uckfield as opposed to a 4VEP heading to East Grinstead. Not sure I had the heart to explain the difference to her.

Killingworth

Established Member
A few years ago when Northern were on strike or similar East Midlands stopped a few extra Liverpool - Norwich trains at Dore. Not many of us knew about it but it was very useful and a good fast service stopping again only at Stockport before Piccadilly. On this day I boarded at Sheffield and sat next to a lady who said nothing until I stood up to get out. "Are we in Sheffield yet?" Yes, but only just. Hurried gathering of bags and onto platform. Seems she'd come from somewhere east of Nottingham.

"My friends waiting for me in her car at Sheffield". Just as well the strike was on or she'd not be getting off until Stockport. No phone. No phone near station. Handed her mine to call friend who it transpired wasn't any more local than she was and didn't know how to get to Dore & Totley to pick her up. No Northern stopping trains to get her back into Sheffield. Explaining bus options was getting nowhere. A taxi? Ended up giving friend as clear directions as possible. Hopefully they met up OK.

Sleeping on trains is probably the cause of the majority of incidents in this thread. However, I confess to rushing to Sheffield station to catch the 13.14 Hope Valley stopper after a morning meeting, sinking into my seat to get my breath back, rising as I approached Dore, and wondering why it wasn't slowing down! That's one that skip stops. Time to get a coffee at the Grindleford station cafe before getting the next train back to Dore - which was to form the next outbound 14.14 service. The worst part of this was that I'd been at a transport related meeting when I'd raised the excellent quick rail services through Dore, but the lack of enough that stopped. Freud might have had something to say about that!!

I think the only ones I've done myself are Oxford instead of Cholsey (tiredness at the end of a long day) and many years ago Norbiton instead of Surbiton (my mother mishearing an announcement, although at the age of 11 I was old enough and knowledgeable enough that I should have spotted the mistake), although I can think of at least two occasions when I've boarded the wrong train but realised my mistake before it departed. I have a couple of more impressive ones from family and friends, though.

One was my cousin, in his early 20s at he time, who arrived from Montreal on his first visit to the UK since his immediate family had emigrated several years before, and decided to go for a day trip to Portsmouth as he hadn't seen the sea in all those years. He boarded the wrong train when changing at Guildford, and got as far as Godstone (this was in the days of through trains from Reading to Tonbridge) before realising his mistake. (In fairness, he may have been suffering from jet lag, and although he'd lived in the UK until he was 16 he wasn't familiar with that part of it). He did get to Portsmouth somewhat later that day.

The other was a friend of my parents. I may be misremembering some of the details, and I can't check as she's now dead, but as I remember her telling it, sometime around 1950 she was on the way to Greenock for a visit to her parents, a few months into her first post-university job which was in Cheltenham (I think she may have commuted to Glasgow University on a daily basis, in which case Cheltenham would have been her first experience of living away from home). Changing trains in Crewe in the middle of the night, she got on the wrong one and ended up in London (possibly the first time she'd been there, although I'm not sure of that). She sent a telegram to her parents saying 'In London. All Well. Arriving tomorrow.'; at so much per word an explanation would presumably have been more expensive, but I think the brief message caused her parents some concern that their daughter had been tempted away to the fleshpots of the capital.

At Oxford once, my grandmother asked a member of staff for a train to Didcot. He said it's the next one on platform 3. She thought "next train on platform 3" meant the one that was currently in the platform, when in actual fact he meant the one after that (it is a bit ambiguous, what would you think it meant? just out of curiosity). She gets on, and someone double checks with her that it is the train to Southampton (which it was) and she tells them it isn't. So not only did she get on the wrong train, but she also made someone else get off the right train. Not sure where she ended up instead of Didcot. Presumably Reading

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
"The next train from platform 3" would to me mean "the next train to depart from platform 3" - so if there's one there, that one.

If I was directing someone to the following train, I'd say something like "from platform 3, after that one <points> has gone".

Galvanize

I recall witnessing an over-carry back in 2004...not a HUGE overcarry...travelling on a VXC Voyager towards Scotland via the WCML. Get to Preston...this Woman who looked about...60ish got on with two young children...her Grandchildren...and their belongings. Made a bit of a scene as they tried to evict a group of people sat round a table claiming it to be their booked seats. No mention of where they were going or where the seats were booked to, but a bit of to’ing and fro’ing, they found somewhere else to sit. One of the kids seemed a bit uneased still...so casually asked
“Graaaaan...are we on the right train?”
“Yes of course we are...why wouldn’t we be? Lets get ourselves comfortable, I’ll get the sweets out in a minute!”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes, 90%. I’ll ask someone shall I to put your mind at ease? Excuse me...is this the London Euston train?”
“No...Edinburgh!”
“WHAT?!”

Literally the second the old dear realised...the TM was doing the 10-bell dispatch, so by the time they’d got up, got their belongings and tried to make a run for the doors...we’d started moving. I recall we came to a screeching halt as they pulled the Alarm...but they were not allowed to disembark...and had to stay on until Lancaster, I saw them in the vestibule when I went to The Shop...the TM was standing with them trying to get hold of Control to explain the situation. The woman was furious...the grandchildren were crying! Apparently the two trains left at similar times from Preston and they misread the boards.

PG

Established Member
"The next train from platform 3" would to me mean "the next train to depart from platform 3" - so if there's one there, that one.

If I was directing someone to the following train, I'd say something like "from platform 3, after that one <points> has gone".
Hmm the difficulties of language...

I've seen 'about to board' passengers checking with platform staff "this the London train?" getting the response "No. You want the next one." which seems pretty clear to me, though that example is made easier by the presence of both the passenger and train already at the same platform.

Killingworth

Established Member
Hmm the difficulties of language...

I've seen 'about to board' passengers checking with platform staff "this the London train?" getting the response "No. You want the next one." which seems pretty clear to me, though that example is made easier by the presence of both the passenger and train already at the same platform.
No platform staff. Only one platform. Two trains due, both formed by TPE 185s. This comes up on the board. Could be interesting!

1610062022545.png

Passengers/customers need to keep their wits about them. At some times of the day a journey from Dore to Manchester may include a short hop into Sheffield to come back out on a fast train. First time users of these services are often caught out and let the stopper go through and wonder why there isn't another train (at the same time!) going west to Manchester.

Galvanize

Another one I recall...but it happened before I was born...a Family Friend told me about a time he was at a friend’s party in Brighton back in the 1970s. Caught a late night train back from Brighton, with the intention of getting off at East Croydon and getting a nightbus back from there to where he was living at the time. Nodded off as the train left Brighton...woke up at London Victoria. Then went and asked the Guard how to get back to East Croydon
“No problem...this train’s going back to Brighton and it stops at East Croydon.”
“Thank you.”
Promptly nodded off again...East Croydon came and went, he slept through it. Ended up in Brighton once more. Train was then going ECS into Lovers Walk. No trains back to London for a couple of hours. So he went back to the friend’s house and amazingly the Party was STILL just about going at 02:30 but in the process of winding down. He was allowed to sleep on the sofa after it finished, and the following morning (well, the same morning!)...got a train back to East Croydon!

Oops!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Before Gatwick Express, it was difficult to identify which trains from Victoria called at Clapham Junction because the majority of them were not advertised to do so, but a significant number really didn't. Those of us who chanced it often ended up at East Croydon when we guessed wrong.

I did make the opposite mistake once - having spent a while in the pub I made my way to Victoria and caught a stopper, calling at Battersea Park, Clapham Junction and then many other places of no interest to me. Not fully aware of my surroundings, but still able to count up to two, I got off at the second stop, only to discover that I was at Battersea Park - there must have been a signal stop en route. Along wait ensued for the next train to the Junction, and a later connnecting service than the one I had intended.

A colleague managed to get to Clapham (now known as Clapham High Street) instead of Clapham Junction - not possible from Victoria now of course.

Some friends travelling to Cobham in Kent (nearest station Sole Street) ended up at Cobham & Stoke d'Abernon, in Surrey.

And my wife once travelled to Ashford Middlesex using a ticket to Ashford Kent (or was it vice versa?)

Last edited:
A few years ago I was living over in Norway.

Got the train from Oslo early one morning after a get together and a pub crawl intending to travel 40 minutes down to Moss to see friends but fell asleep.

Next thing I know - we are approaching the outskirts of Gothenburg in Sweden - a further 3 hours down the line - so basically I’d travelled internationally without realising.

Explained the situation and was put on the next train back to Norway.

Bikeman78

Established Member
My then girlfriend, who was definitely not a rail fan had the same overcarry, but she was on a Thumper heading to Uckfield as opposed to a 4VEP heading to East Grinstead. Not sure I had the heart to explain the difference to her.
To be fair, apart from the loud noise at one end of the Thumper, they are very similar in design. I particularly liked the rush hour pairs if the power car of one unit was coupled to the driving trailer of the other. On the return run from Uckfield I'd sit in the first class and listen to the thrash from the adjacent power car.

_toommm_

Established Member
No platform staff. Only one platform. Two trains due, both formed by TPE 185s. This comes up on the board. Could be interesting!

View attachment 88340

Passengers/customers need to keep their wits about them. At some times of the day a journey from Dore to Manchester may include a short hop into Sheffield to come back out on a fast train. First time users of these services are often caught out and let the stopper go through and wonder why there isn't another train (at the same time!) going west to Manchester.

Dore could do with some signs on it with arrows - 'this direction for Sheffield, Meadowhall, Cleethorpes, Nottingham, Norwich' and 'this direction for Stockport. Manchester, Liverpool'.

Bedpan

Established Member
My mother had a friend who, during the war, needed to go to Maidenhead. Apparently she had no idea where Maidenhead was but was given instructions to catch a certain train at Paddington and get off at the third stop. She ended up at Taunton which was the third stop of the wrong train which she boarded.

PG

Established Member
Dore could do with some signs on it with arrows - 'this direction for Sheffield, Meadowhall, Cleethorpes, Nottingham, Norwich' and 'this direction for Stockport. Manchester, Liverpool'.
Not disagreeing but no use if your average person hasn't taken any notice of which direction the train arrives!

Killingworth

Established Member
New thread probably needed about that! You'd be amazed how many ask (or did ask) "Which platform is for.....X?" "How do I get to the other (non-existent) platform?" "Where's the other platform?" Amazingly one old lady hadn't used the station since she was a little girl when there had been 4 platforms so not an entirely unreasonable question. One old chap who'd been blind from birth assured me there used to be 6 platforms!

thisisdash

A young lady who recently, looking utterly horrified, asked me "...This isn't the train to Guildford, is it?!" having ridden fourteen stops in the wrong direction to Sunbury.

To top it all off, she got off, crossed the platform, waited about fifteen minutes and didn't board the service back... which I was also on!

HS2isgood

Three years ago, in Madrid-Atocha (the most used commuter station in Spain), an old lady who was wearing a portable oxygen device (idk how it is actually called in English) took the train I was in, in platform 5, wanting Doce de Octubre, a six-minute suburban trip in the C5 line. As we departed Atocha, she asked a man just by her side: how long does it take to Doce de Octubre? It was first stop Alcázar de San Juan, 98 miles down the line, and she thought she had to take the train in platform 5 instead of commuter line 5. She got down at Alcázar, and according to the timetables, returned to Atocha three and a half hours later. Some of the passengers were pissed at the conductor for not making a stop to let her down still in the commuter zone.

sk688

During first year at university, me and a few friends would always get the first train back to Bath from Temple Meads after a night out in Bristol

One time this backfired as we fell asleep and were kindly woken by the guard somewhere between Didcot and Reading, who kindly let us board a Bristol train at Reading

Since then (pre-rona) we've always used the stopping services and got off at Oldfield instead , in order to avoid a time consuming double back again !

xotGD

Established Member
I have only once overdossed. After some refreshments, I was on the last southbound from Waverley. Missed Newcastle, missed Durham and ended up in Darlo. A bit of fester for something back north.

I had a close call at Birmingham. Boarded a train assuming it would call at Wolves, then made a hasty exit on realising it was first stop Preston!

One time I boarded a northbound cross-country train at York. A chap then woke up, saw where we were and in a panic pulled the cord (even though we were still in the station). Turns out he wanted Derby.

I also wonder how many cranks have conveniently "fallen asleep" to either extend their journey without having a ticket, or to yellow pen the track into the carriage sidings.

Established Member
I have only once overdossed. After some refreshments, I was on the last southbound from Waverley. Missed Newcastle, missed Durham and ended up in Darlo. A bit of fester for something back north.

I had a close call at Birmingham. Boarded a train assuming it would call at Wolves, then made a hasty exit on realising it was first stop Preston!

One time I boarded a northbound cross-country train at York. A chap then woke up, saw where we were and in a panic pulled the cord (even though we were still in the station). Turns out he wanted Derby.

I also wonder how many cranks have conveniently "fallen asleep" to either extend their journey without having a ticket, or to yellow pen the track into the carriage sidings.
I've done similar at Stafford. Boarded a Pendo thinking it was a via Birmingham service then hastily bailed again when I realised it was RA Euston!

Not a particularly significant distance compared with most anecdotes on this thread, but when cleaning carriages at Wimbledon Park depot for a summer job many years ago, the unit I was in left the sidings for a quick return trip through the washer, or so I thought. Ten or fifteen minutes later, bemused commuters at Waterloo were probably wondering why the doors of an otherwise empty set had slid open to reveal an embarrassed young cleaner standing there with mop and bucket of water....

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Only once have I seen passengers being overcarried.

I boarded at Preston and a couple of passengers got on at Carlisle heading to Lockerbie. There was an error which resulted in the train missing the stop at Lockerbie, meaning that a few teenage girls and an elderly lady ended up in Glasgow and had to be taxi'ed back to Lockerbie. The train arrived in Glasgow at 21:45, well after the last Southbound had departed. The girls were dressed up, presumably going out for the evening. I'd imagine their evening was ruined.

Next one was fairly recently, they weren't being overcarried. It was three students heading back to Edinburgh from Glasgow Central. They did not understand that the Edinburgh train was departing from the front of Platform 10. They boarded the train on the rear and didn't realise that it was going to Largs until they heard the onboard announcement, well after the Edinburgh train had departed.

WAO

..on a TGV from Calais, pre-Chunnel. Told to change at Longeau into cross country TGV to St Etienne. Not told to get off at Amiens first as Paris bound TGV helpfully did not stop at Longeau, so hurtled through L, past our waiting connection. Arrived at Paris Nord and told to go to Gare de Lyon and argue the case there. Told to get on anything, without reservations! saw how the French do it; wait on the platform until the train starts to move, then board (the doors don't close until a fast walking pace, SR style), then find an empty seat or wait by the toilet. Boarded the train, no seats (with Mrs and 2 young children). The sharp suited French commuters sized up the situation and cleared the central 4 seat bay for us, the same seat numbers as our original reservations. The guard/controleur was facinated with the cover of Modern Railways that I was reading with an orange TGV on the front. Arrived in St Etienne only 30min down!

I won't hear a word against the French.

WAO

CHAPS2034

Afternoon

Here's a few personal experiences. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin as they used to say on Listen with Mother. Younger readers may want to Google this. :)

A friend of mine used to organise minibus trips out to pubs / beer festivals in the N West, Yorkshire or Derbyshire on Saturdays. There was a pick up at Piccadilly station in Manchester at around 9am, returning by 9pm to allow people from all over the area to catch the train home in good time, as some travelled some distance (eg from Frodsham and Blackpool) to come along.

The return time was good as I had the 2104 Crewe stopper to get me home. On most occasions we had 5-10 minutes to catch it or occasionally were too late and had to wait a bit for the Macc stopper instead, or blag a ride back to the minibus depot in Stockport and await a train or bus from there. Having an old fart's bus pass helps.

Can't remember where we had been, but we arrived one night at 2101. Two of us made a bid for the 2104, but got delayed crossing the road and arrived on the platform just in time to see the tail lights disappearing. In a flash of inspiration, I said to my mate, let's run round and catch the 2107 XC Birmingham as far as Stockport as we may be lucky and overtake the stopper. We leapt on the XC just as the doors were closing and set off. Just after Heaton Norris Junction, we caught up with the stopper and moved to the door to make a quick cross-platform transfer. As we approached Stockport, I sensed something was wrong - the train was accelerating and we shot straight through the station. Oh dear...

Just then the guard came through - tickets please. But we only had our Greater Manchester bus passes. I told him what happened and he said he had made announcements prior to departure that the first stop was Stoke (not even Macclesfield!). I told him that we had jumped on seconds before the doors closed and I thought that all the XC stopped at Stockport; he noted that this was the only one that didn't! He also remarked that we weren't the first to have done this and wouldn't be the last.

Anyway, he was very understanding and after checking, told us the next one back to Stockport from Stoke was also XC and that we should check with the guard on that one before boarding. It wasn't a problem, but we did arrive back in Cheadle Hulme two hours later than planned - not what was wanted after a day on the pop!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Several years earlier, a party of about 10 of us was heading back from Manchester to Cheadle Hulme on a 323 after a convivial evening at the Manchester Beer Festival. At the time the Crewe line was closed for engineering works and so they were running a couple of extra trains before midnight which came to Cheadle Hulme and then ran non-stop to Macclesfield. We were on the last one of the night After arrival at C/H, we waited for the door light to come on; it didn't. Several people tried pressing the button but to no avail. Other doors were working, so someone ran off to hold one open but was too late by seconds. As the train set off someone "pulled the cord", but the train continued. There were about 20 of us being overcarried in total. The guard came up to find out who had pulled the handle and why and we told him what happened. Unfortunately one of our group, being tired and emotional, started f'ing and jeffing at the guard, so we had one of our group remove him to the next carriage whilst a civilised conversation took place. The train eventually stopped in Poynton station , having run through Bramhall and the driver came back to find out what was going on. Poynton was no good for getting home.

After some discussion, the guard said he would ring control to see if Cheadle Hulme passengers could be dropped off on the empty stock move back to Stockport. This was agreed and so we travelled back to CHU where the guard came down to the centre coach (where we had all been asked to travel) to ensure we all got off and left with a cheery wave.

But now there was another problem. P3 (and P2) at Cheadle Hulme could only be accessed at that time by the main station entrance and the doors were locked as the last train had gone. So we had to cross the Crewe line using the platform ramps to exit to street level via the steps from P1..The line was shut anyway and visibility is at least a mile in each direction.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Returning south from the Newcastle Beer Festival the other year, I caught an evening KX service for some 91/Mk4 action, intending to change at York for Manchester. I was aware that after York this train was non-stop to KX; nevertheless I fell asleep. I woke up with a jerk just as the train set off from a stop, looked out of the window and with a sinking feeling saw an overall roof. It took me several seconds to realise that the station was Darlington, not York. Cue great relief and I sat bolt upright until we arrived at York. There were no other dramas on the way home!

--------------------------------------------------------------

I was once on a lightly loaded Voyager from Stockport to Brum, no doubt going on a pub research trip. Sitting on the opposite table was a young lady engrossed on her phone. As we approached Stoke, announcements were made and we stopped. After a couple of minutes she looked up, saw the platform signs and suddenly tried to pack her stuff away and get off, but it was too late. Next stop on this one was Wolverhampton rather than Stafford, so she was rather late for her business appointment and the rest of the journey was spent on her phone rearranging her day.

------------------------------------------------------------------

In the bad winter of 1962/3, I returned with my mother from Bath to Manchester after spending the festive period with relatives. The snow lay deep and crisp and even - in fact some of it remained in the shadows in my uncle's garden 2 months later. This journey required catching a train to Temple Meads and then a train coming up from Plymouth to Liverpool to make a connection at Crewe. In those days the trains were routed via the Marches line due to the WCML electrification works.

Temple Meads was in some state of chaos with the snow and no one was quite sure whether the Liverpool was running and if so where it was! Eventually it was announced running rather late and with a platform change. My mother, who had travelled frequently through Temple Meads during the War, said this was a regular occurrence in those days. The train eventually arrived with a Castle up front and we departed north. In our compartment was a smart city gent with his rolled up brolly who was engrossed in his newspaper. The train went through the Severn Tunnel, round the east side of the Maindee triangle and headed north for a stop at Pontypool Road which in those days was a big station, not the island platform and shelter of today.

Here we had a longer stop than usual I seem to remember as there was some doubt as to whether we could continue because of the snow. After a few minutes the city gent looked up from his paper and noting an unfamiliar location, asked us "This is the Paddington train isn't it?" He was a bit put out to discover it wasn't. It appears had just jumped on our train as "the Paddington trains always went from there at that time of day"... He got off and was aiming to get back to Newport or Bristol for onward to London if anything was running at all! Meanwhile, we eventually got to Crewe and changed to a blue electric hauled train to take us to Stockport Having been looking at very snowy landscapes all the way up, Stockport only had a light dusting of snow.

----------------------------------------------------

A regular at Beer Festivals years ago was a bloke we knew as "Desperate Dave" who lived in Wolverhampton. Apparently he ended up in Oxley sidings quite frequently, but one day, coming back from the Tamworth Beer Festival, he found himself sleeping through New Street and Cheltenham and pitching up in Bristol. His other half had insisted he was home that night and as the last train had gone, he had to fork out £85 to get a taxi home to maintain his married bliss.

------------------------------------------------------------------

And finally (you will be pleased to know!), there have been several examples in the thread about people going back and forth on trains continually missing their stop. Best one I heard concerned someone from the City returning home to St Albans on the "Bedpan" service after an evening out. He was annoyed to wake up in Bedford, but checked that the same train formed the next service calling at St Albans and settled back. He woke up back at St Pancras again! This time he decided to stick a piece of paper on his chest which said "Please wake me up for St Albans". Next thing he knew was he was back at Bedford and someone had written "Tee-hee-he" on his note! He eventually managed to get off at St Albans on the next southbound journey.

And that's all Folks! Stay positive, test negative!

Last edited:

Galvanize

Another one I remember seeing/hearing...

Approaching Leicester on a 222 in the dying days of Midland MainLine nearly 15 years ago, a particular TM used to make a habit of repeatedly announcing the train was non stop to London St Pancras after Leicester. Even while the train was at a stand in the platform at Leicester
“Just a quick reminder this train is for London St Pancras only...that’s London St Pancras only, non stop to London St Pancras once the doors have closed.”
This didn’t stop 4 teenage girls getting on, sitting in the First Class section of the “Composite” carriage.
TM came through doing a grip after Leicester, finds these girls have tickets to Kettering I think. Asks them to leave the FC area as they had Standard Class tickets...then he spent the next 10 minutes or so telling them off about getting on the wrong train. Pretty sure one of them said “Oh but the man on the platform said...”
Not sure how it was resolved...I think the TM did ask to speak to one of the girls Parents or Guardians on the phone to explain they’d be home late...and that they’d need to pay for travelling to London and back, which none of them had the right money for. The 4 of them stayed on the train all the way to London, one of them remarked that they’d never been to London on a train before!

Status
Not open for further replies.