• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: How many one vehicle bus/coach operators remain?

Poiuytre

I've just been trying to think of and bus or coach operators that only own one vehicle. It seems to of become rarer in recent years, prehaps because vehicles have become more complicated.

I presume that there will be more single-vehicle coach operators than bus operators. Do any councils require a operator to have access to a spare vehicle to bid for school contracts? I presume that having a agreement with another operator would be acceptable.

I'm looking at one vehicle operators not one disc operators. Standard national/international rather than restricted.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bedford OB

I've just been trying to think of and bus or coach operators that only own one vehicle. It seems to of become rarer in recent years, prehaps because vehicles have become more complicated.

I presume that there will be more single-vehicle coach operators than bus operators. Do any councils require a operator to have access to a spare vehicle to bid for school contracts? I presume that having a agreement with another operator would be acceptable.

I'm looking at one vehicle operators not one disc operators. Standard national/international rather than restricted.
Absolutely hundreds is the answer, but very many of them are minibus operators. Nevertheless, there are a significant number of one vehicle operators with a full sized coach.

Poiuytre

Absolutely hundreds is the answer, but very many of them are minibus operators. Nevertheless, there are a significant number of one vehicle operators with a full sized coach.
I was discounting minibus operators really. Are they any particularly notable full sized examples?

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
Jeff Morss is still going in Suffolk, quite a well known character on once-a-week services into places like Felixstowe, Ipswich and Stowmarket. As recently as 2019 he was running a 1988 Volvo B10M with a SETRIGHT ticket machine. Pretty sure it wasn't DDA compliant but hey ho. :lol:

He ran a selection of Bedfords up until about the early 2010s, upgraded to Volvo coaches, and then has had a selection of Volvos and MANs. His current steed is a 25 year old Volvo B10BLE.

The B10BLE replaced this monstrosity, which while absolutely space age being from 2008, was hideously unreliable.

Poiuytre

Jeff Morss is still going in Suffolk, quite a well known character on once-a-week services into places like Felixstowe, Ipswich and Stowmarket. As recently as 2019 he was running a 1988 Volvo B10M with a SETRIGHT ticket machine. Pretty sure it wasn't DDA compliant but hey ho. :lol:

He ran a selection of Bedfords up until about the early 2010s, upgraded to Volvo coaches, and then has had a selection of Volvos and MANs. His current steed is a 25 year old Volvo B10BLE.

The B10BLE replaced this monstrosity, which while absolutely space age being from 2008, was hideously unreliable.

That's wonderful to see. I do admire these 'one man' operators. Very often a great personal level of service

Malaxa

Rarer were the single coach proprietors who would only buy, usually lightweights, brand new vehicles. changed frequently.. I can think of Harold Verrall in Loughton.

Poiuytre

Rarer were the single coach proprietors who would only buy, usually lightweights, brand new vehicles. changed frequently.. I can think of Harold Verrall in Loughton.
I didn't know that he was still going.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
At risk of straying off topic, AIUI (DDA)PSVAR requirements for vehicles classified as a coach - even if being used on regular service work - did not come into effect until 01/01/2020

greenline712

Little Jim's Little Buses have only recently finished (March 2024: Berkhamsted). His reason for finishing was that there were "too many insurmountable" problems. I suspect that one problem was that he didn't use a compliant (BODS) ETM . . . DfT are clamping down on such operators now.

Whilst coach operators are still able to continue, bus service operators are likely not to do so for much longer.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
(BODS) ETM
Bus open data service electronic ticket machine, I assume?

What are the options for small operators? Do they basically have to report into the service?

Operators of registered local bus services in England (outside London) are to be required to make details of their services available as open data, as required by the Bus Services Act 2017. The scope of open data encompasses timetable data, fares data, vehicle location (real time) data and historic performance (punctuality) data.

The open data requirements are phased, with the first set of requirements - to publish timetable data - coming into effect from 31 December 2020.

This will be followed by:

location and simple fares by 07 January 2021
punctuality data for the preceding calendar year (August to December 2020) to be provided by 31 March 2021
complex fares data by 7 January 2023
This guidance has been updated to include details on publishing location and simple fares, and on the new Analyse Bus Open Data Service, which will support operators in providing punctuality data.

The Department for Transport (DfT) is helping operators meet the statutory requirement through the provision of the Bus Open Data Service (BODS). It’s a new digital service which provides access for third-party data consumers to a distributed model of bus open data, where the data is, largely, held by the operators who run the services.

BODS was launched in January 2020. The timetable service was made publicly available at the same time, allowing operators to become ‘early adopters’ of the service and start publishing their data ahead of the statutory deadline. We’ve been helping operators to learn how to use the new digital service and the data creation tools provided with it. We now have 340 operators registered onto BODS [footnote 1]. And, we’ve had 109 operators publishing their timetables data, including 4 of the ‘Big 5’ bus operators.

In October 2020, we added the location data service to BODS and now have 79 operators publishing approximately 10,000 vehicle location feeds (out of 32,500 vehicles). The BODS fares data service was also made publicly available in November 2020. We now have 14 operators publishing 160 datasets.

DfT will continue to offer business change support to bus operators during the transitional period, which is scheduled to run until December 2021. We’d encourage operators to continue to engage with the Bus Open Data team and take advantage of this opportunity.

Last edited:

RJ

Established Member
I've been one, initially in London with a Volvo B7TL then in Wales with a Mercedes Citaro. However fleet size has increased to 20 since.

Poiuytre

I've been one, initially in London with a Volvo B7TL then in Wales with a Mercedes Citaro. However fleet size has increased to 20
What operator was that? I'm surprised to hear of one in London .

Poiuytre

I've been one, initially in London with a Volvo B7TL then in Wales with a Mercedes Citaro. However fleet size has increased to 20 since.
Apologies I misread it. I didn't realise that it was yourself.

Do you mind me asking what line of work you did and how you delt with unexpected VOR issues

RJ

Established Member
Apologies I misread it. I didn't realise that it was yourself.

Do you mind me asking what line of work you did and how you delt with unexpected VOR issues

Just rail replacement. The bus went out one day a week. It had over £10k spent on mechanical work at the outset and never required recovery since, an inordinately reliable vehicle despite being over 15 years old. Any time it got in the slightest bit grouchy, it would be taken to the workshop during the week for repairs. On the rare occasion it required a weekend stay, the workshop would provide a courtesy vehicle in the form of a Trident or E400. It was the sole working vehicle for several months until another joined it, which turned out to be equally reliable.

As for the Citaro, it was only the sole runner for a few weeks. Before long it was joined by another.

Everyone has to start somewhere!

Poiuytre

Just rail replacement. The bus went out one day a week. It had over £10k spent on mechanical work at the outset and never required recovery since, an inordinately reliable vehicle despite being over 15 years old. Any time it got in the slightest bit grouchy, it would be taken to the workshop during the week for repairs. On the rare occasion it required a weekend stay, the workshop would provide a courtesy vehicle in the form of a Trident or E400. It was the sole working vehicle for several months until another joined it, which turned out to be equally reliable.

As for the Citaro, it was only the sole runner for a few weeks. Before long it was joined by another.

Everyone has to start somewhere!
Thank you, very insightful.

M803UYA

Little Jim's Little Buses have only recently finished (March 2024: Berkhamsted). His reason for finishing was that there were "too many insurmountable" problems. I suspect that one problem was that he didn't use a compliant (BODS) ETM . . . DfT are clamping down on such operators now.

Whilst coach operators are still able to continue, bus service operators are likely not to do so for much longer.
I used to drive for a small operator who has a contract with West Yorkshire Metro for a local bus service. Not only are the vehicles not PSVAR (don't need to be, under 22 seats) they don't issue tickets and until recently didn't bother at all with BODS.

When asked about that - 'well Metro can sort that out. If they want us to run their b****y bus service contract for them they'll deal with it. Not our problem!'.... :lol:

It's possible the 'B word' isn't what was actually said, but I think I'm on a family orientated forum so cannot use the exact word here.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I believe Northstar, an operation recently launched in the north east of England by a former Go North East commercial manager, only has one active vehicle in its fleet so far - ALX400-bodied Dennis Trident D24 NST (SP04 DCF). A second is currently being prepped for service though. https://northstarbus.co.uk

DP Coaches in Surrey (a sole trader operation run by Danny Putt, not to be confused with D&P Coaches of nearby Farnborough) has a single vehicle running out of a yard in New Haw. From memory I think they run a Caetano Levante or Neoplan Tourliner.

Last edited: