• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[TRIVIA] Incorrectly spelt destinations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I was flicking through some photos on Flickr and found this image of a Tellings-Golden Miller Enviro 200 working a Kingston University service with "Subribition" on its destination, instead of Surbiton.

It got me wondering what the worst errors people have spotted that have slipped through the net before are, be it on destination boards/blinds or wider publicity material. Local to me, Stagecoach South have had "Togham" instead of Tongham and "Friary Bus Statin" in the past.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lxfe_mxtterz

Another one with Stagecoach South, though not necessarily an incorrectly spelt destination; rather a very minor grammatical error if you wished to be pedantic - the route 72 between Guildford and Ockford Ridge displays "Eashing lane Estate" (lower case 'L') for its southern terminus rather than "Eashing Lane Estate".

JD2168

Some in South Yorkshire are from recent past:
Wiswood instead of Wisewood in Sheffield
Bentlety instead of Bentley in Doncaster

ls2270

Established Member
When Arriva ran the 18 in Guildford it displayed Onlsow Village instead of Onslow Village as the destination!

omnicity4659

"Morpeth & Kikhill" is displayed on the "via Bedlington Station" screen of Arriva's 2 in Northumberland. All other 'via' screens show the correct spelling of Kirkhill.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
LiTchfield has appeared from time to time over the years.
When Atlas Bus ran the 283 in London they went to Schepherds Bush, so you might say their were two errors in the first word as it included no apostrophe either!

TheSel

This is not a recent phenomenon, of course. Even back in the days of linen displays the correct spellings of certain destinations seemed to be beyond the destination blind manufacturers' abilities. (All my own photos)

1661175343516.png

A pair of Crosville MWs seem to be unsure of the correct spelling of DOLLGELLAU / DOLGELLAU - the latter is correct (photo taken at ... er ... Dolgellau depot in February 1977)

1661175247927.png

This Crosville 'B' series Leyland National is actually bound for HAFODTY LANE (terminus of a Colwyn Bay local service) - not 'HAFOD TYLANE' as shown. Colwyn Bay, October 1984.

1661175450794.png

And in a slightly more recent era, this Arriva Merseyside Wright bodied DAF has an additional 'K' in its 'WEST KIRKBY' destination as it leaves Woodside Bus Station in October 2001.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The "Aylesbury triad" of disreputable small operators has had a couple. "Blehtcley" was one, but even better was "Wolver ton", i.e. they had incorrectly specified "Wolverhampton" instead and just coloured it in in black pen.

It got me wondering what the worst errors people have spotted that have slipped through the net before are, be it on destination boards/blinds or wider publicity material. Local to me, Stagecoach South have had "Togham" instead of Tongham and "Friary Bus Statin" in the past.

I suppose there's a reasonable chance that the majority on board were partaking of those :)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The "Aylesbury triad" of disreputable small operators has had a couple. "Blehtcley" was one, but even better was "Wolver ton", i.e. they had incorrectly specified "Wolverhampton" instead and just coloured it in in black pen.

I suppose there's a reasonable chance that the majority on board were partaking of those :)
Good one :)

D6130

Established Member
LiTchfield has appeared from time to time over the years.
Presumably that's the one in Hampshire (near Whitchurch....and formerly having a station on the ex-GWR Didcot, Newbury and Southampton line)

When I was a young lad growing up in the West of Scotland, at least one of the Garelochhead Coach Services AEC double deckers had a destination blind with the incorrect spelling 'Garelochead'.

Hassocks5489

One of my pics from a few years ago - Brighton and Hove Buses school route 49E travelling to "Lower Bevedean" instead of "Lower Bevendean":

SSmith2009

PaulMc7

Established Member
Avondale had a bus that said Patrick instead of Partick for a long time. I'm not sure if it's still the case though.

McGill's once wrote "Gallagher Retal Park" instead of "Gallagher Retail Park" for the 530 terminal.

Surprised it was the second word they misspelt and not the Gallagher!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
McGill's once wrote "Gallagher Retal Park" instead of "Gallagher Retail Park" for the 530 terminal.

Hope no-one tried to insert a 'c'. ;)

PTR 444

Established Member
First Leicester have for many years split the word Netherhall as Nether Hall for their 38/38A routes as seen here

Although during one of the covid lockdowns they managed to get it right
Similarly in Southampton, First went through a phase of splitting Lordshill as Lords Hill, although I think all buses now display the two words as one.

duncanp

Established Member
Discount Travel Solutions, a small independent bus company, run a handful of journeys along part of the Birmingham Outer Circle 11A/11C route, in competition with the main operator National Express West Midlands.

Their buses of the 11C (clockwise circle) are shown as terminating at Dudely Road rather than the correct spelling of Dudley Road.

Stan Drews

Established Member

Whilst it predates the 530, Kilmaclom has also made an appearance as a digital destination!

Roger1973

In South-East London, a batch of intermediate blinds on Titans had Brounhill Road for Brownhill Road on route 160, and a batch of Leyland National blinds at Bromley had Nottingham for Mottingham on route 126 - both must have been mid to late 1980s.

I have seen a photo of an LT bus showing 'Plumpstead' for Plumstead but can't remember when.

Some buses involved in the tendered routes at the 1988 'Bexleybus' scheme (think it was Boro Line) had blinds that showed 'Bexley Heath' not Bexleyheath.

And seem to remember Eastern National's Olympian coaches, when they had an early electronic destination display, briefly showed 'London Owf Circus' which should have been Oxf(ord) Circus.

ls2270

Established Member
Staying with London displays in the 1980s there were Metrobuses at Edgware Garage that spelt their home as Edgeware on their blinds!

Welshman

Established Member
Before M&H Coaches took over the operation of the X1 & 2 services between Ruthin, Mold and Chester, there was a photo going the rounds of a Stagecoach single decker displaying "MOULD" on the front!
At least they didn't try to display YR WYDDGRUG on the board!

Simon75

On Moderation
The other year, Station's of Stoke had Bradley Vollage on their 61, instead of Village.

Last edited by a moderator:

verneyjunction

The group of Aylesbury independents have had so many errors (both on LED displays and the older manual wind up blinds) on displays.

I live in Aylesbury and i have personally seen buses run by these group of independents with these displays on the front:

- Alyesbury (Aylesbury)
- Aylesbruy (Aylesbury)
- Chinor (Chinnor)
- Fairford Lays (Fairford Leys)
- High Wycome (High Wycombe)
- Meadowcoft (Meadowcroft)
- Srory Not In Service (Sorry Not In Service)
- Slough Bus Staiton (Slough Bus Station)
- Steeple Clayton (Steeple Claydon)
- Watford Raliway Station (Watford Railway Station)

The spellings in brackets are the correct way to spell these places.

They do not seem to put any effort in to taking a few seconds to check they have got their spelling correct and have not made any typos as over the years i keep spotting new mistakes on their bus displays.

Also there are six of them currently (not just three) that all run buses around that area:

- Red Eagle Buses
- Red Line Buses
- Red Rose Buses
- Star Travel
- Vale Travel
- Z & S Transport

They are all very closely related (i think just owned by different members of the same family) to each other.

Red Eagle and Red Line and Red Rose are in particular very closely linked as they share the same ticket rolls with all three logos and names on the same ticket roll and these three also share the same fleet numbering system. So i think Red Eagle and Red Line and Red Rose are very closely linked. The other three Star Travel and Vale Travel and Z & S Transport are a bit more distantly related but still have some links.

There was a seventh one called Red Kite Buses but they seem to have disappeared now.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Avondale had a bus that said Patrick instead of Partick for a long time. I'm not sure if it's still the case though.
Mini Pointer Dart SN03 ECC is/was the vehicle in question (linked photo copyright of Flickr's busmanscotland).

McGill's have got form for this. When running in/around the Vale of Leven (Dumbarton, Balloch etc) after taking over from McColls, their version of the 206 (Haldane - Westcliff) had 'Belsmyre' instead of Bellsmyre (linked image copyright of Helensburgh & Lomond Bus Archive) as a via point. Other gems over the years have included 'Erksine', 'Spatestone' and Glasgow 'Airpot'.

Last edited:

Wolvercoter

I remember seeing 'Oakhampton' (rather than Okehampton) displayed on a Western Greyhound bus many years ago.

I also recall 'Michery Farm' on the 16 in Oxford... the correct spelling is Minchery Farm. However, I can't remember if it was Oxford Bus (who gave up the route around 2006) or if it was Stagecoach.

alistairlees

Established Member
"Tunbridge Wells Girls Grammer School" on (I think) Ham's Travel double decker service. It's been like that for years.

*It might be Tonbridge Grammer School, I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.