• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Intermediate stations with frequent crew changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloster

Established Member
In my days at Brighton in the 'eighties Chichester was only used for freight train crew relief in normal circumstances.
And I don’t think that there are any regular freight workings east of Chichester nowadays.

Back in the eighties was that because Eastleigh crews only knew as far as Chichester, or did they work the news to Bognor/Angmering, or was that a Fratton duty?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

75A

Established Member
Lewes didn't have crew changes, only time train crew were there were for the split train in the evening
Up until the mid 80's one Brighton crew worked the 03:27 Victoria newspapers non stop to Lewes, to be replaced by another Brighton crew who worked it to Ore via Eastbourne and then back to Brighton. I can also remember a Footex from Liverpool Lime Street to Newhaven Marine, which we took over at Clapham Junction, running non stop to Lewes where another Brighton crew took over.

And I don’t think that there are any regular freight workings east of Chichester nowadays.

Back in the eighties was that because Eastleigh crews only knew as far as Chichester, or did they work the news to Bognor/Angmering, or was that a Fratton duty?
Eastleigh men worked as far as Chichester with the Westbury / Ardingly stone & Fawley / Salfords fuel, both swapping with Brighton men. Don't know who did the papers because Brighton didn't get involved with them. We only got as far as far as Worthing, with a van off the back of 03:23 Victoria / Brighton.

Last edited:

Galvanize

Finsbury Park is heavily used as a relieving point for Great Northern 717s coming in and out of Moorgate, and Thameslink 700s on the Cambridge-Brighton and Peterborough-Horsham services.

In addition, Stevenage is sometimes used as a relieving point on the 700s that go to/from Peterborough, particularly first thing in the morning or late at night. Previously a lot of hand overs happened at Hitchin before the May 2018 timetable change!!

Elsewhere on the network, despite having Drivers and Guards based nearby, Wimbledon on South Western Railway to my understanding is NOT used for relieving. The crews either travel PASS to and from London Waterloo for their trains, or work ECS trains in and out of the depot, although Durnsford Road staff halt is occasionally used for Driver changeovers.

By Travelling PASS it means walking to Wimbledon Park LUL, travelling one stop on the District Line to Wimbledon itself, then into London Waterloo by SWR!

Last edited:

J-P_L

For TPE there are frequent crew changes at Manchester Victoria and Leeds, both of which don’t have a crew depot.

tony6499

Up until the mid 80's one Brighton crew worked the 03:27 Victoria newspapers non stop to Lewes, to be replaced by another Brighton crew who worked it to Ore via Eastbourne and then back to Brighton. I can also remember a Footex from Liverpool Lime Street to Newhaven Marine, which we took over at Clapham Junction, running non stop to Lewes where another Brighton crew took over.

Eastleigh men worked as far as Chichester with the Westbury / Ardingly stone & Fawley / Salfords fuel, both swapping with Brighton men. Don't know who did the papers because Brighton didn't get involved with them. We only got as far as far as Worthing, with a van off the back of 03:23 Victoria / Brighton.
It says frequent crew changes not one train a day

Bow Fell

Going on a tangent to services with frequent crew changes.

A Manchester Airport to Windermere Northern service can have a Manchester Piccadilly driver driving between Manchester Airport and Oxford Road, a Liverpool Driver between Oxford Road and Wigan North Western, a Wigan driver between Wigan North Western and Preston, and a Blackpool driver between Preston and Windermere, but there could even be a change at Lancaster as well, on some services, conversely a Barrow or Blackpool guard work it, throughout!

Causes no end of headaches during disruption!

scrapy

Established Member
Going on a tangent to services with frequent crew changes.

A Manchester Airport to Windermere Northern service can have a Manchester Piccadilly driver driving between Manchester Airport and Oxford Road, a Liverpool Driver between Oxford Road and Wigan North Western, a Wigan driver between Wigan North Western and Preston, and a Blackpool driver between Preston and Windermere, but there could even be a change at Lancaster as well, on some services, conversely a Barrow or Blackpool guard work it, throughout!

Causes no end of headaches during disruption!
There are also Windermere services booked to be worked by Wigan guards between Lancaster and Manchester Airport.

Whilst no booked work, Liverpool guards can cover the route from Preston to the airport, Man Vic and Buxton guards can also cover the route between Wigan and Preston, and between Oxford Rd and Preston if diverted via Bolton. Man Vic and Picc can also cover Manchester to the airport.

Last edited:

Bow Fell

There are also Windermere services booked to be worked by Wigan guards between Lancaster and Manchester Airport.

Whilst no booked work, Liverpool guards can cover the route from Preston to the airport, Man Vic and Buxton guards can also cover the route between Wigan and Preston, and between Oxford Rd and Preston if diverted via Bolton. Man Vic and Picc can also cover Manchester to the airport.

Definitely booked Liverpool work, guards moreso than drivers between Preston and Oxford Road at least. They definitely work an early Sunday turn Airport-Preston.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Yes, I think there's even a crew room on P2. Never seen a crew change on a service on P1.
I suppose given a train at P1 at Foregate Street is heading to/from Shrub Hill anyway they might as well just do crew changes there since that's where the crew depots are located (I think so at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.