• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - journeys which start in one direction before doing a 180 degree (ish) turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

superjohn

Cambridge to Ipswich. Heads North out of Cambridge and almost doubles back on itself before leaving the city. It then winds mostly eastwards to Stowmarket where it joins the GEML southbound towards Ipswich.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Beckton to anywhere west of Cyprus if I’m allowed DLR.

Lots of trains depart Munich Hbf to the west then immediately take the curve and ring line to get to Ostbahnhof.

I forgot München and I used to live there! The Airport S-Bahn head east or west out of Hbf before going north to the airport.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Blackburn is one of those places (like Exeter - and also a cathedral city!) where you can leave in opposite directions and end up in the same place (indeed, the same station, which beats Exeter!). In the normal timetable it's Blackburn-Todmorden-Rochdale-Manchester-Wigan and Blackburn-Bolton-Manchester-Rochdale.

Thank you - that's what I was wracking my brain trying to remember.
I did wonder - are Blackburn - Wigan or Rochdale tickets valid on the through services?

NoMorePacers

Established Member
The (what has been up until now) one Northern service between Scarborough and York. Heads southeast towards Hull then leaves heading northwest and comes into York on the Down Normanton. Same can be said of Bridlington-York, where you head south to then head north.

superjohn

Good shout. How about Ipswich to Felixstowe Town, which passes through Derby Road?
Definitely! Ipswich to Felixstowe trains set off in completely the wrong direction geographically. They then follow a more than 180° curve around the north of the town to Derby Road where the line heads off eastwards to Felixstowe. As a result of this the Ipswich to Derby Road journey is around six miles by train but less than two as the crow flies!

james60059

Glasgow Central - Lanark. The branch to Lanark looks like it does a more or less 180° turn from the junction with the WCML (can't remember the name without looking at the Atlas and that's downstairs :lol:)

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A couple from me here.

Glasgow Central - Edinburgh Waverley, Newcastle, York, etc via Carstairs (South to Eglinton Street Tunnel, south east to Motherwell, due south to Carstairs, curves round to go uphill in a north east direction to Haymarket, then due east to Waverley)

Perth - Dundee heads off due north east before curving round to head due south to cross the Tay twice, then swings due north east along the north bank of the river.

Also, to clear up Fort William - Corrour on the previous page, they are two totally separate places going by postcode. Fort William is PH33 and Corrour (it does have its own postcode) is PH30.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Also, to clear up Fort William - Corrour on the previous page, they are two totally separate places going by postcode. Fort William is PH33 and Corrour (it does have its own postcode) is PH30.
That's as may be, but as per the criteria in the OP's original post, Corrour can scarcely be described as a town or city.

Status
Not open for further replies.