• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest City/Town Without Buses on New Year’s Day?

Llandudno

Established Member
Happy New Year!

I wonder which is the largest city/town in the UK that doesn’t have any bus services running on New Year’s Day?

Initially I thought Nottingham, but perhaps the Skylink bus to East Midlands Airport maybe operating…?

As a follow which is the largest town in the UK that does not have any form of public transport on New Year’s Day, ie no buses, trains or National Express coaches?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
No buses in Plymouth, Exeter or Bristol.

National express, megabus and Flix are all operating those cities though

trei2k

Glasgow does not have any services operating by First Bus/McGills etc. today.

However, there limited odd long distance services (i.e. Citylink to Edinburgh and Ember to Dundee) operating.

DDB

Happy New Year!

I wonder which is the largest city/town in the UK that doesn’t have any bus services running on New Year’s Day?

Initially I thought Nottingham, but perhaps the Skylink bus to East Midlands Airport maybe operating…?

As a follow which is the largest town in the UK that does not have any form of public transport on New Year’s Day, ie no buses, trains or National Express coaches?
Skylink isn't running unlike on Boxing day. They aren't buses, but the trams are running.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
No buses (or metros) anywhere in the North East - the local trains are also off with only longer distance services running. I believe Newcastle is a little smaller than Nottingham but Tyneside as a whole would be bigger.

Revilo

No buses in Plymouth, Exeter or Bristol.

National express, megabus and Flix are all operating those cities though
There are free vintage buses from Wells to Bristol today.

Andyh82

Established Member
There are no buses at all in West Yorkshire today* which includes Leeds and Bradford

* except for some enthusiasts running a free bus from Morley to the White Rose Centre

SSmith2009

Happy New Year!

No Skylink services are running today.

Leicester also has no services operating as per previous years

alex397

Established Member
New Years Day is a mixed bag of whether buses are operating or not. Looking at the bustimes.org map certainly shows the contrast.

In Kent, trains and National Express coaches are operating, as well as Arriva buses in west Kent. But nothing from Stagecoach South East. So places like Canterbury, Thanet, Dover, Folkestone, Ashford have absolutely no bus services.

In my view, I think buses should be running, even just a limited service. Supermarkets are open, people are travelling home after New Year’s Eve celebrations (and perhaps are still over the limit to drive themselves), and people want to get out and travel to places to have lunch and walk.

greenline712

A couple of points about New Year's Day bus services:
Back in the 1980s, I drove an early duty for LCBS (London Country Bus Services) at RG (Reigate) garage. I started at about 7am, and saw my first passenger at midday! There was simply no-one about. As a day's work, it was purgatory for me.

Fast forward to the 2010s, Route 84 between Potters Bar and St Albans (we didn't bother to run to New Barnet by then). On Boxing Day and New Year's Day, we ran two buses and duties every hour between 9am and 7pm.
Boxing Day carried passengers all day long, and more or less covered the direct (staff and fuel) costs.
New Year's Day? Waste of time - empty buses until about midday, very few pax after that; less than 40% cost recovery.

Quite simply, the populous was still asleep! If "society" wants to pay the bill, fine. It'll lose lots of money, and that would be better spent running buses when there are actually passengers about.
And it'll be nice to give drivers the day off as well!

Last edited by a moderator:

richw

Veteran Member
I’ve just been out, and everywhere is deserted. Plymouth is like a ghost town. There is clearly no demand for people moving around.
It also allows bus drivers to celebrate new years without worrying about working the next day

johncrossley

Established Member
Why is there such a discrepancy in service from one area to another? Brighton has a Sunday service. Is Brighton really that much more profitable than Leeds, Bristol, Nottingham or Plymouth?

Ianigsy

As somebody has pointed out elsewhere, New Year isn’t particularly deep-rooted in England so there isn’t much of a sense of what you’re supposed to do apart from stay up until midnight and drink. For a lot of people it seems to be a lie in and a quiet day before the general return to work.

Some bus services in Leeds would wash their face, particularly with a match at Elland Road, but the sales have been on for nearly a week now. I suppose Brighton has a different and more unconventional demographic plus the seafront attractions to bring people in.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Leeds felt quite busy today with quite a lot of things open despite the lack of buses. Newcastle meanwhile was very subdued indeed.

A Boxing Day-style service would probably work on a few routes, albeit adjusted to something like a 10am/11am start to account for the fact that nobody really does an awful lot in the morning.

Polarbear

Established Member
No buses operating on the Wirral today, which leaves Birkenhead unserved. There are limited services on the Liverpool side of the river though.

Woolos 22

The cities of Cardiff ,Newport, Swansea, Wrexham Bangor . St Davids and St Asaph and everywhere in wales have no local bus services

alex397

Established Member
Quite simply, the populous was still asleep! If "society" wants to pay the bill, fine. It'll lose lots of money, and that would be better spent running buses when there are actually passengers about.
And it'll be nice to give drivers the day off as well!
I’m all for giving drivers decent breaks, but at the same time public transport is a necessary service, which doesn’t seem to be recognised as such in this country, compared to many other European countries.
Canterbury city centre was very busy today, and the supermarkets were open, and the Sainsbury’s I walked to was busy. I’m not sure why it’s considered the same as Christmas Day in some areas. It’s times like this I realise I’m glad I don’t have to rely on public transport and one reason I have a car.
I’d like to see some sort of service on New Year’s Day. Perhaps with journeys beginning at 11am/12pm and a limited service on key routes. That should be the basic minimum for a day like today.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
I’ve just been out, and everywhere is deserted. Plymouth is like a ghost town. There is clearly no demand for people moving around.
It also allows bus drivers to celebrate new years without worrying about working the next day
Or maybe it's deserted because there are no services?

markymark2000

On Moderation
The cities of Cardiff ,Newport, Swansea, Wrexham Bangor . St Davids and St Asaph and everywhere in wales have no local bus services
Cardiff had a service today. Despite being advertised as not running, Mid Wales Travel decided to run the T1C from Aberystwyth to Cardiff.

Also in Wales, the 905 Rhoose - Cardiff Airport shuttle ran

AB93

Why is there such a discrepancy in service from one area to another? Brighton has a Sunday service. Is Brighton really that much more profitable than Leeds, Bristol, Nottingham or Plymouth?
History and/or culture.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Nothing to do with profit, just the usual 'quality' services for their passengers from Brighton & Hove.

richw

Veteran Member
Or maybe it's deserted because there are no services?
The Vast majority normally travel in by private car. On a typical day, the two main multi-storeys are full by late morning with a combined capacity of well over 2500 spaces. Then there’s all the smaller car parks around the city centre that get full too.
The biggest most central multi story was offering 3 hours free parking today and was pretty empty.

Hophead

Established Member
It's surprising how far out you can zoom the bustimes map today, once you get away from London and (for a lesser level of zoom) Birmingham to see the detail of the buses in service.

JD2168

Rotherham, Doncaster or Barnsley have no service on New Year’s Day.

Only running is GXO Logistics contact services in Barnsley.

Established Member
No buses (or metros) anywhere in the North East - the local trains are also off with only longer distance services running. I believe Newcastle is a little smaller than Nottingham but Tyneside as a whole would be bigger.
I thought it was just Scotland which didn't have trains on New Years Day?

Derby has had no buses today. A few years back trentbarton did do a service on selective routes but this was lost for the full Sunday service on Boxing Day before it was reduced to just the Skylink's.