• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Largest town/city not serviced by any of the major bus groups (excluding NI)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

daodao

Established Member
Wilmslow? 24,500 population and only served by D&G and Go Goodwins.
Wilmslow is tiny compared with the towns in East Lancashire that I have mentioned in earlier posts. It also now has only 2 scheduled bus routes, with Go Goodwins just providing some weekend journeys to Altrincham on route 88.

Contains Nuts

Wilmslow is tiny compared with the towns in East Lancashire that I have mentioned in earlier posts. It also now has only 2 scheduled bus routes, with Go Goodwins just providing some weekend journeys to Altrincham on route 88.
Could it be the largest town with the fewest bus routes?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Nelson has 29k whilst Colne is smaller than Wilmslow. However, Wilmslow is a bus desert, it has to be said

Cambus731

Burnley almost qualifies as I believe the only presence any of the big four have there now, is First working in once an hour on the 592 from Halifax.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Barry in the Vale of Glamorgan , pop (2020) 51502.

The town is served by Adventure Travel which is a subsidiary of multinational ComfortDelGro but that's not one of the British groups specified in the OP

Factotum

With the dominance of First, Arriva, Stagecoach, and Go-Ahead in much of the UK, I wonder what the largest place in the country is (not including Northern Ireland) that lacks any sort of bus service operated by any of these four companies?

The first place that popped into my head as a potential candidate is Aberystwyth (pop. 16k), but I feel like there are plenty of places much larger than it that none of the major bus groups reach.
Buxton (Derbyshire) pop ~25k

Buxton (Derbyshire) pop ~25k
Belay that. The 65 moved from TM to Stagecoach some time ago

Corsham in Wiltshire is circa 13k population, only serviced by Faresaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.