• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia - Largest towns served by just one TOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mrd269697

Apologies if done before. Blackburn ? Birkenhead ? Northampton ?
Technically Birkenhead is also served by Transport for Wales as they call at Bidston and Upton. But vast majority of services in the town (and all in the town centre) are ran by Merseyrail

Wtloild

Unless you count Metrolink as a TOC, Oldham borough (237k) is only served by TPE (to Greenfield).

Rochdale Borough area (222,412) is marginally bigger than Swindon (222,193) and is only served by Northern
Admittedly I don't know the area well but google says its also served by metrolink. Are we counting them as a TOC? I was suprised to see there are no TPE trains stopping there!

Llandudno

Established Member
Population of Barnsley Borough is 218,000

Is it only served by Northern?

mirodo

Would Brighton at 241,999 (source) count? Thameslink and Southern are, after all, sub-brands of GTR.

Kent. Quite a few acutally

Canterbury (already been mentioned)
Maidstone
Gillingham (Kent)
Folkestone
Dover
Ramsgate
Faversham
Sherness
Chatham
Rochester (was a city but when it went over to medway authority a piece paperwork did not get signed)
Sittingbourne

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
Kent. Quite a few acutally

Canterbury (already been mentioned)
Maidstone
Gillingham (Kent)
Folkestone
Dover
Ramsgate
Faversham
Sherness
Chatham
Rochester (was a city but when it went over to medway authority a piece paperwork did not get signed)
Sittingbourne
Many of those stations are also served by the Rainham Thameslink service

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Ah, damn it. I did check as I’m not local to the area, but didn’t see and GWR departures today. How frequently do they serve BTN?
Not often, only around twice a day weekdays in the normal (pre covid) timetable…

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Population of Barnsley Borough is 218,000

Is it only served by Northern?
It is only served by Northern I believe. Probably the biggest in Yorkshire anyway. Had thought of Halifax, but Grand Central have started up again... also the borough (Calderdale) includes Brighouse which in addition to GC also gets TPE calls at times of disruption.

Veteran Member
Admittedly I don't know the area well but google says its also served by metrolink. Are we counting them as a TOC? I was suprised to see there are no TPE trains stopping there!
TPE runs though Rochdale on diversions but doesn't call.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Salford is only served by Northern if we're talking Greater Manchester boroughs!

stut

Established Member
Belfast only has NIR, unless you count the jointly-run Enterprise as being a different TOC.

kevconnor

Is that actually the case? If so, which service(s)?

(I can see Salford Crescent as currently being served by Northern only).
Sorry think i must have got it wrong, I checked earlier on my phone on RTT and thought I saw some that were, I've looked again now and they aren't passenger calls but just change direction at Salford Crescent.

EDIT

It was a mistake sorry, this was the service I was looking at, and another one earlier on, thinking it was a passenger call.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It was a mistake sorry, this was the service I was looking at, and another one earlier on, thinking it was a passenger call.
Fair enough, not that bad a shout as it happens...

Wonder whether Salford Crescent is "open" at that time of the day?! First train in public service that calls there isn't normally until half an hour or so later.

Status
Not open for further replies.