• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: London Bus routes that follow Underground lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTR 444

Established Member
How many bus routes are there in London that duplicate Tube lines between three or more consecutive stations?

Some that I can think of are:
  • 24 and 29 following the Northern Line between Charing Cross and Warren Street
  • 453 following the Bakerloo Line between Charing Cross and Marylebone
  • 9, 14 and 19 following the Piccadilly Line between Piccadilly Circus and Knightsbridge
  • 98 following the Central Line between Marble Arch and Holborn
  • The C2 when it operated used to roughly follow the Victoria Line route between Oxford Circus and Victoria, despite the line not directly running beneath a single street like the older tubes do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

90sWereBetter

Lost somewhere within Bank-Monument tube station,
The 230 follows the Victoria Line between Walthamstow Central and Tottenham Hale.

Not sure if it counts given its round-the-houses routing, but the W14 manages to serve four consecutive Central Line stations on the same route (South Woodford, Snaresbrook, Leytonstone and Leyton), while also appearing at Wanstead on the Hainault loop. :)

duncanp

Established Member
The N73 shadows the Victoria line to a certain extent, between Oxford Circus and Kings Cross and between Seven Sisters and Walthamstow Central.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
133 parallels the Northern line from Bank / Monument to Oval
333 parallels the Northern line from Elephant & Castle to Tooting Broadway
2 effectively follows the Victoria line from Victoria to Brixton

ANDREW_D_WEBB

94 and 148 both shadow the Central Line from White City to Marble Arch, where the 94 continues to shadow as far as Oxford Circus.
390 shadows Central Line from Marble Arch to Tottenham Court Road before shadowing the Northern Line to Euston (Kings Cross if you count the Bank branch)
8 parallels the Central Line from Tottenham Court Road to Bethnal Green

Tester

205 between Paddington and King's Cross

(Unless tube specifically excludes sub-surface, in which case Paddington to Baker Street :D)

Timmyd

How many bus routes are there in London that duplicate Tube lines between three or more consecutive stations?

• 9, 14 and 19 following the Piccadilly Line between Piccadilly Circus and Knightsbridge
  • The C2 when it operated used to roughly follow the Victoria Line route between Oxford Circus and Victoria, despite the line not directly running beneath a single street like the older tubes do.
24 and 29 parallel the northern line for further than that, actually to Camden Town (and almost Chalk Farm for the 24 northbound)

The 2 follows the Victoria Line Brixton to Victoria
8 Central Line Tottenham Court Road to Bethnal Green
155 for almost its entire route Northern Elephant to Tooting
453 Marylebone to Elephant, almost following the Bakerloo other than omitting Waterloo
133 Northern Oval to Bank
73 and 390 Victoria from Oxford Circus to Kings Cross
18 Edgware Road to Euston Square
27 Along the west of the (old) Circle, Euston Square to High Street Ken

133 parallels the Northern line from Bank / Monument to Oval
333 parallels the Northern line from Elephant & Castle to Tooting Broadway
2 effectively follows the Victoria line from Victoria to Brixton
333 doesn’t, it deviates via Brixton and Streatham and doesn’t serve Clapham or Balham. You’re thinking of the 155

Last edited by a moderator:

jumble

Follows Piccadilly
South Harrow to Ruislip

Malaxa

Don't forget the 549 which deliberately duplicates FOUR consecutive Central Line stations, although two of them are not actually in Greater London.

Parebunks

336 follows the Met from Amersham to Rickmansworth, then the Watford branch from Croxley to Watford station

johncrossley

Established Member
Before its huge expansion, much of the night bus network mirrored Tube and rail lines and some were even marketed as such. For example the Northern Line night bus. The existing N5 from Edgware to Trafalgar Square is a legacy of that.

The N1 was also marketed as a Northern Line night bus and followed the High Barnet branch. That is now the N20.

The pictures of old N1 and N5 buses shown on the links below show "Northern Line" on the blind.

sk688

18 Follows the Bakerloo and Overground from Wembley Central to Kensal Green.
79 follows the Jubilee between Kingsbury and Canons Park
Slightly cheating given the 95 stop is about a 10 minute walk from Greenford station , but you could argue it follows the Central Line between Greenford and Shepherds Bush
220 follows the Hammersmith and City between Hammersmith and Wood Lane
267 and H91 following the District betwen Hammersmith and Chiswick Park
H11 follows the Met line between Harrow on the Hill and Northwood

317 forever

Established Member
Route 110 as good as duplicates the District Line from Hammersmith to Richmond

Route 383 duplicates the Northern Line from Finchley Central to High Barnet

Malaxa

The East London routes connect a few LT stations which don't have wheelchair access in one or both directions.

The 184 in North London connects four stations on the Piccadilly line, Arnos Grove to Turnpike Lane. the middle two also having no wheelchair access.

PeterC

Established Member
The 66 follows the Central Line from Leytonstone to Newbury Park although you could say it was the other way around as bus route pre dates the tube line.

jumble

18 Follows the Bakerloo and Overground from Wembley Central to Kensal Green.
79 follows the Jubilee between Kingsbury and Canons Park
Slightly cheating given the 95 stop is about a 10 minute walk from Greenford station , but you could argue it follows the Central Line between Greenford and Shepherds Bush
220 follows the Hammersmith and City between Hammersmith and Wood Lane
267 and H91 following the District betwen Hammersmith and Chiswick Park
H11 follows the Met line between Harrow on the Hill and Northwood
If we count H11 as it does not stop outside North Harrow then I suppose 183 counts following the Met between Pinner and Kenton as Northwick Park is an OSI

RMcE

The 219 runs from South Wimbledon - Tooting Bec and the 249 from Tooting Bec - Clapham Common

AM9

Veteran Member
One more: the 25 from Bow Road to Aldgate East, to parallel the District.
It also parallels the Lizzie between its origin at Ilford and Whitechapel, and in it's old bendy path from TCR to Oxford Circus. *

* Cue screams of horror at an inference that the Lizzy is an Underground line. Well it runs much of its length in a tube underground and has roundels all over it! (As a duck looks like a duck and quacks like a duck). U;)

PeterC

Established Member
It also parallels the Lizzie between its origin at Ilford and Whitechapel, and in it's old bendy path from TCR to Oxford Circus. *

* Cue screams of horror at an inference that the Lizzy is an Underground line. Well it runs much of its length in a tube underground and has roundels all over it! (As a duck looks like a duck and quacks like a duck). U;)
As a passenger I think of the new sections as an Underground (capital U) line, regardless of its technical status. I am sure that some pedantic geek will feel the urge to flame me for that.

I wouldn't count buses along Romford Road and Ilford High Road but if you do don't forget the 86.

AM9

Veteran Member
As a passenger I think of the new sections as an Underground (capital U) line, regardless of its technical status. I am sure that some pedantic geek will feel the urge to flame me for that.

I wouldn't count buses along Romford Road and Ilford High Road but if you do don't forget the 86.
I see that the 86 now only runs Romford to Stratford, very Lizzie specific. I remember it running from Corbets Tey to Limehouse, thereby also running parallel to the District line from Hornchurch to Upminster.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

Uh-oh! Someone got hold of the can opener.

It doesn't technically count as it's not strictly a London Underground line but, as you say, it runs underground... (subterranean ducks and all that - do they eat worms, I wonder?) :)

delt1c

Established Member
What about the 8 which follows the central line from Bethnal Green to Oxford Circus

AM9

Veteran Member
Uh-oh! Someone got hold of the can opener.

It doesn't technically count as it's not strictly a London Underground line but, as you say, it runs underground... (subterranean ducks and all that - do they eat worms, I wonder?) :)
In terms of passenger experience it is more a 'Tube' line (as the OP mentioned) than the SSLs which run in twin-track covered trenches rather than 'pipes'.

Status
Not open for further replies.