• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Longest crewed service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Having just watched a Brighton - Malvern service depart, it got me thinking....

Which services are crewed by the same traincrew for the longest in terms of both mileage and duration?

I’d imagine an east coast diagram will take the longest in terms of mileage, but duration I’m not quite sure. Waterloo - Weymouth via Guildford will knock on 4 hours and I’ve known Bournemouth crew to work it throughout.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Macwomble

When I did Far North line last year same crew did full journey...had roughly 1 hour break........... then full journey back to Inverness.

Carlisle

Established Member

Which services are crewed by the same traincrew for the longest in terms of both mileage .
I’ll take a guess , on a regular basis it’d be Londton -Newcastle.for mileage

greaterwest

Established Member
Corfe Castle to London Waterloo via Wareham, Weymouth, both Yeovils, Salisbury and Basingstoke? That's 4 and a half hours. That being said, I don't know if the same crew operate it throughout.

Bromley boy

Established Member
I’d imagine an east coast diagram will take the longest in terms of mileage, but duration I’m not quite sure. Waterloo - Weymouth via Guildford will knock on 4 hours and I’ve known Bournemouth crew to work it throughout.

The Cally sleeper and the Night Riviera must be up there for duration.

DelW

Established Member
The Fort Bill sleeper is around 12 hours and well over 500 miles. I doubt that drivers ever work through, but I'm fairly sure the stewards do.

LowLevel

Established Member
EMT crews have some Sheffield to Norwich jobs which are 174 miles for 3 hours 40 minutes or so.

The two morning EMT Leeds to London trains have the guards throughout for just under 4 hours as well.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
For many years , EUS - Preston has been a regular job , ditto Preston - Glasgow.

Freightliner - Eastleigh to Crewe / Leeds.

CMS

St Pancras - Bourg St Maurice, I would have thought. The Drivers and Train Managers swap crews at Lille but the rest of the train staff do the full journey.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Which services are crewed by the same traincrew for the longest in terms of both mileage and duration?

Brighton to Great Malvern possibly has changes at places such as Southampton, Westbury, Bristol TM and Gloucester. There are definitely several

tsr

Established Member
I believe some of the Settle & Carlisle route’s crew diagrams have been known to have rather lengthy stays aboard the same services. (Not just when trains get stranded either, before anyone tries to be clever! ;) )

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I've seen VT Voyager drivers leave their Euston-Chester terminator at Chester and catch the next Merseyrail service to Liverpool as a passenger.
It never occurred to me before that that was how Liverpool drivers got to work the Chester/North Wales services.
Unless there's a cohort of Liverpool VT drivers who live on the Wirral!

pompeyfan

Established Member
Brighton to Great Malvern possibly has changes at places such as Southampton, Westbury, Bristol TM and Gloucester. There are definitely several

It was more seeing a long distance service that got me wondering. I think it’s Brighton - Westbury in that direction, and Havant - Brighton in the afternoon.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Brighton to Malvern is a multi depot/crew service.

Fratton will take it Brighton to Southampton or Westbury.

Westbury/Bristol or Gloucester crew from Westbury to Bristol or Gloucester.

Gloucester crew from Bristol or Gloucester to Malvern.

westcoaster

Established Member
In terms of duration on Thameslink up until the timetable change we did several Bedford to Bedford trains via central London then around the Wimbledon loop and back up again. Some were other 4 1/2 on stop driving.

westcoaster

Established Member
In terms of duration on Thameslink up until the timetable change we did several Bedford to Bedford trains via central London then around the Wimbledon loop and back up again. Some were other 4 1/2 on stop driving.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Brighton to Malvern is a multi depot/crew service.

Fratton will take it Brighton to Southampton or Westbury.

Westbury/Bristol or Gloucester crew from Westbury to Bristol or Gloucester.

Gloucester crew from Bristol or Gloucester to Malvern.

There are a few GCR diagrams that work it GCR-GMV-WSB and vice-versa both front and back

xcooler123

At VTWC, there are a couple of GLC - EUS via Trent Valley (and vice versa) which are manned by the same crew throughout. That's 409 miles and 4 1/2 hours.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
At VTWC, there are a couple of GLC - EUS via Trent Valley (and vice versa) which are manned by the same crew throughout. That's 409 miles and 4 1/2 hours.

Are you sure, unless you are talking about catering crew. Everything changes at Preston

AndrewE

Established Member
I'll bet that some freight services are likely to be winners, DRS for example (Crewe to Bridgewater?)

All Line Rover

Established Member
Is Arriva's Holyhead to Cardiff and reverse 'business class' service not worked by the same crew throughout?

JN114

Established Member
The Night Riviera changes Driver and Guard at Exeter (and Plymouth on the Down); but the “sleeper” crew work the train throughout in both directions; passing to/from their depot at Penzance before/after as needed.

8h10m on the Standard SX paths.

virgintrain1

XC service managers can do Bristol - Newcastle which is just over 5 hours (although no longer a booked turn so only when spare/RDW) and
when shifts were 13 hours long NCL staff went as far south as TAU.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.