• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

TRIVIA: Longest dwell time in the middle of a continuous service

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramdan

My train to Skegness from Nottingham this morning (2S91) has an 18 minute dwell time at Boston, between 0701 and 0719.

What other examples exist where a train simply waits at a platform for an extended period of time before continuing?

Mid journey reversals are related, but I would say are just outside the true scope of this post.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
The most obvious examples are the Avanti London-Scotlands via West Mids, which pause at Wolverhampton for 10-15 minutes as they're two separate paths stitched together.

Trainguy34

75 Mins at Edinburgh on the sleeper is also obvious, even if barely anyone is awake for it.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Northampton sees regular extended dwells throughout the day.

Eg the 0711 and 0810 to Birmingham today both have 16 mins. The 2328 to London gets 18 mins.

Whistler40145

Established Member
My train to Skegness from Nottingham this morning (2S91) has an 18 minute dwell time at Boston, between 0701 and 0719.

What other examples exist where a train simply waits at a platform for an extended period of time before continuing?

Mid journey reversals are related, but I would say are just outside the true scope of this post.
I presume that the dwell time at Boston is waiting for a Skegness bound service to come off the single line from the Sleaford direction?

tramdan

I presume that the dwell time at Boston is waiting for a Skegness bound service to come off the single line from the Sleaford direction?
Surprisingly not! The trains pass somewhere near Bellwater Junction SB.

Timpg

East Suffolk up direction at halsworth. We had a certain diagram where we would be booked to wait 6 minutes, if travelling from previous station Brampton at line speed… we will also gain a few minutes to arrive at halsworth early. Extending the 6 minutes to nearly 10 minutes.
The issue with this is, that halsworth has a rather popular barrow crossing, with an instruction to not cross whilst there’s a train within the station.
As you can imagine, this causes issues with people loosing patience and crossing in front of you.
Thankfully they have changed this particular diagram in order to loose the extra minutes elsewhere.

StarCrossing

I don't have the exact timings and details to hand, but up until the timetable change a couple of weeks ago there was a Birmingham to Plymouth service leaving Birmingham at 16:42 which sat at Bristol Temple Meads for around 35 minutes.

HST43257

Established Member
I don’t know if they still have the dwell but the Waterloo to Poole services (now Winchester to Poole?) used to have 26 mins iirc, from xx50 to xx16

I can't think of a specific example but I think there is (or was) a Exmouth - Paignton service with a 20 minute wait at Dawlish Warren

KK2109

Due to engineering blocks around Birmingham on 26/02/2023 1S43 1031 Bristol Temple Meads to Edinburgh had a 45 mins dwell at Derby.

aliceh

I don’t know if they still have the dwell but the Waterloo to Poole services (now Winchester to Poole?) used to have 26 mins iirc, from xx50 to xx16
Sadly (thankfully?) that no longer happens. If memory serves, they also at one point had a fifteen minute dwell at Southampton Central in addition to the 26 minutes at Brockenhurst.

Incidentally, they've now 'resolved' it simply by taking the Winchester to Bournemouth train out of service at Southampton Central for half an hour (but not in the other direction)

richw

Veteran Member
2C77 1300 Cardiff central to Penzance has a 16 min dwell at Plymouth. I assume to even things out for the even service timings through Cornwall

SteveM70

Established Member
The down Night Riviera is booked 65 minutes (public timetable) / 74 minutes (working timetable) at Taunton

zwk500

Veteran Member
The down Night Riviera is booked 65 minutes (public timetable) / 74 minutes (working timetable) at Taunton
I'm presuming this is to facilitate the potential diversions, and not because there is a really good restaurant favoured by the crew nearby that stays open all night?

Established Member
Reading to Newcastle services normally have around 15 minutes at Derby.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That service has now been retimed, but in the down direction it is now two separate services split at Southampton. The stock goes to the sidings ECS. The 26 mins you remember (at Brockenhurst) was in addition to approx 20 mins at Southampton.

sammyg901

We have the opposite in Aylesbury - there is a train from Aylesbury Vale Parkway that terminates in Aylesbury at 1803 and then a servicing starting at Aylesbury to London Marylebone at 1818. Whenever I've noticed it's been the same unit that operates both, even when the inbound from London has been very late the 1818 has still waited for the unit to come in from AVP.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
There's the 3 Rainford (future Headbolt Lane) -> Blackburn that sit in Wallgate for 9 minutes arriving (11/15/19):11 leaving (11/15/19):20
These can be quite easily delayed by the xx:07 departure if it gets 2 mins late, as the trains usually make their way in a bit early

Last edited:

blue87

Some Euston-Scotland Avanti services have 19 minutes at New Street.

JD2168

Sheffield to Scarborough services tend to have a long dwell time at Hull & also at Doncaster at certain times of the day.

12LDA28C

Established Member
We have the opposite in Aylesbury - there is a train from Aylesbury Vale Parkway that terminates in Aylesbury at 1803 and then a servicing starting at Aylesbury to London Marylebone at 1818. Whenever I've noticed it's been the same unit that operates both, even when the inbound from London has been very late the 1818 has still waited for the unit to come in from AVP.

Two separate trains with different headcodes so beyond the scope of this thread, surely?

Status
Not open for further replies.