• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Longest journey time between two consecutive stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrd269697

Believe it's just 35 minutes, if you exclude the 2 minutes dwell time at Carstairs. ;)

A handful of others...

Berwick upon Tweed to Dunbar is typically 21 minutes.

Penrith North Lakes to Oxenholme Lake District is usually 22 minutes.

Similarly Hereford to Abergavenny is sometimes 22 minutes.

And one more... Sanquhar to Dumfries is usually 26 minutes.
Ahh I forgot about them! However Berwick and Dunbar will be off this list soon when Reston opens

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
...Berwick and Dunbar will be off this list soon when Reston opens
Indeed. But we are where we are, just now.

Incidentally, in view of the paucity of direct services between Lockerbie and Carstairs, what alternative routeing is permitted for a potential return journey. Via Motherwell?

Whistler40145

Established Member
Carlisle to Carnforth requires a staggering journey around the Cumbrian Coast line or going via the WCML to Lancaster and doubling back

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Carlisle to Carnforth requires a staggering journey around the Cumbrian Coast line or going via the WCML to Lancaster and doubling back
Indeed, but Carlisle and Carnforth are not consecutive stations, and so are off topic for the purposes of this thread. :rolleyes:

VideozVideoz

What about Reddish South to Stockport? Parliamentary service to stalybridge only

Hellifield to Clitheroe is 3h+ (Ignoring Dalesrail on a Sunday)

Last edited:

AverageTD

I think that's a winner. 5 1/2 hours, via St Pancras, Lille Europe and a walk to Lille Flandres (until 2022)
Provided they return to the pre-COVID timetable eventually, there won't be a direct Calais>Ashford train so a turnback at Ebbsfleet is still required! That's a pretty incredible suggestion.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
1h22 Melton Mowbray to Sileby must be pretty bad
There's a 2056 weekday service from Melton Mowbray that gets into Sileby at 2141, travelling via Leicester, no changes required. Does beg the question as to whether Melton Mowbray and Sileby are then "consecutive" stations, the train having not traversed the Syston East Junction - Syston North Junction chord.

What about Reddish South to Stockport? Parliamentary service to stalybridge only

Could argue that there is a direct service between the two stations, albeit in the opposite direction only just now, taking 5 minutes.

23 minutes when the Sunday service does run.

PTR 444

Established Member
There's a 2056 weekday service from Melton Mowbray that gets into Sileby at 2141, travelling via Leicester, no changes required. Does beg the question as to whether Melton Mowbray and Sileby are then "consecutive" stations, the train having not traversed the Syston East Junction - Syston North Junction chord.
If we are going down this rabbit hole, I nominate the 14:50 Dalton (Cumbria) - Askam service, taking 1hr 14mins :)
Could argue that there is a direct service between the two stations, albeit in the opposite direction only just now, taking 5 minutes.
Or alternatively you could do it by going via Guide Bridge and Man Picc

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If we are going down this rabbit hole, I nominate the 14:50 Dalston (Cumbria) - Askam service, taking 1hr 14mins :)
Confused! Did you mean Dalton? Loads of intermediate stations between Dalston (Cumbria) and Askam.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Think that all regular passenger trains run via Barrow-in-Furness, but if we still consider Dalton and Askam to be "consecutive" stations, surely you can do Dalton -> Askam on a "direct" train, via Barrow, without changing, in as little as 25 minutes.

Ok well you find me the train because I can’t find anything. It’s a parliamentary service cuz it runs once a week in 1 direction only

These, presumably? See link below...

PTR 444

Established Member
Think that all regular passenger trains run via Barrow-in-Furness, but if we still consider Dalton and Askam to be "consecutive" stations, surely you can do Dalton -> Askam on a "direct" train, via Barrow, without changing, in as little as 25 minutes.
Yes that is possible, but I think anyone who’s just missed the 14:03 would disagree.

A better example of this kind might be Pewsey to Bruton. Fastest time between the two is 51 mins and in many cases the journey takes over 2 hours.

Whistler40145

Established Member

That's when Northern have sufficient traincrew to operate the Dalesrail service, usually one of the first to get caped.

mrd269697

Indeed. But we are where we are, just now.

Incidentally, in view of the paucity of direct services between Lockerbie and Carstairs, what alternative routeing is permitted for a potential return journey. Via Motherwell?
I should probably know this considering I sell rail tickets for a living. I’ll look into this when I can.

also pre covid was there more services between Lockerbie and Carstairs? As it’s just the one northbound one at the moment.

Efini92

Established Member
Ok well you find me the train because I can’t find anything. It’s a parliamentary service cuz it runs once a week in 1 direction only
I don’t think it’s been running over covid. But the last 10 or so times I drove it, it was booked in both directions.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Is this thread confined to strictly national rail services? If so, then Greenford to South Ruislip is quite a tricky journey! (Of course, if you allow London Underground, then they cease to be consecutive stations, and the journey becomes trivial).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is this thread confined to strictly national rail services? If so, then Greenford to South Ruislip is quite a tricky journey!
Does any passenger train service still run from/via Greenford and then directly to/through South Ruislip, stopping or not?

Once took the now discontinued (?) parliamentary train from South Ruislip into Paddington which presumably skirted past Greenford, but that was almost a decade ago now!

VideozVideoz

That's when Northern have sufficient traincrew to operate the Dalesrail service, usually one of the first to get caped.
Yeah been noticing that actually!!

View attachment 103145
It still runs both ways
Well it’s not showing in any national rail journey planner

These, presumably? See link below...

Nothing is showing for this service in any planner

Efini92

Established Member
It was a farce that Blackpool were given that service to operate from the start.

Yeah been noticing that actually!!

Well it’s not showing in any national rail journey planner

Nothing is showing for this service in any planner
Real time trains shows it as running both ways.
D0266DB1-C582-42A9-A830-9807D21D503E.jpeg
here’s the old diagram.

Bill57p9

Lockerbie to Kirknewton?
I am reasonably confident that no trains stop at both, so travel is only via Haymarket or (once in a blue moon) Carstairs.

LRV3004

Isn't there a Picc-Wakefield that stops at Guide Bridge once a day?
No. I think a while back there was a 1700 Piccadilly to Huddersfield using a 158 unit. All I remember about that one was that it stopped at Ardwick, giving the strange opportunity to travel direct from Ardwick to Huddersfield!

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Indeed, but Carlisle and Carnforth are not consecutive stations, and so are off topic for the purposes of this thread. :rolleyes:
Oxenholme and Carnforth?

Does any passenger train service still run from/via Greenford and then directly to/through South Ruislip, stopping or not?

Once took the now discontinued (?) parliamentary train from South Ruislip into Paddington which presumably skirted past Greenford, but that was almost a decade ago now!
The South Ruislip to Paddington was diverted a few years back to run to West Ealing instead. However, in neither case did it call at,or passthrough, Greenford station as there are no platforms on the through line. (The bay is part of the Tube station - there are of course plenty of trains between South Ruislip and Greenford if LU services are included)

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
How much can we bend the rules with this? How about Lichfield Trent Valley to Burton, and Tutbury & Hatton to Attenborough?

Dai Corner

Established Member
Have we had Patchway-Pilning?

The Down platform at Pilning is about 3 miles or so from Patchway and has been closed since the footbridge was removed for electrification. The Up platform is served by just two trains a week, both on Saturdays. Journey planners give a nearly 3 hour journey doubling back via Newport.

Status
Not open for further replies.