• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Longest time you spent on the same train in one day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hornet

Amazed more people aren't just posting "Fort William - Euston".

Did Euston - Mallaig in the '70's on the cushions. Dozed off, only to be awakened by the shunting exploits at Queen Street, when the Fort William Sleeper/Seated coaches were joined to the Mallaig portion. Once leaving Queen Street you could walk through from the Euston seated portion to the Mallaig seated portion. All the way from London to Mallaig without leaving the train.

fowler9

Established Member
I've done that too - an amazing journey.
I spent 6 hours asleep on a Paris RER train in the same seat on the night of 07/11/96. On my 22nd birthday after seeing Pearl Jam in the Zenit Arena.

If Railtours are allowed then the Valiant Thunderer. If Sleepers are allowed then The Euston to Fort William. I never stayed in the same seat on those though.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
On the same train? Does this include leg stretch breaks, or does it mean not exiting the train in any way, shape or form? If the former, London Kings Cross to Inverness in both directions. Not an experience I'd like to suffer in Standard Class again that's for sure, and that was when I was heavily into my HSTs! The way north I never left the train at all, which with delays in the Darlington area meant I'd been on the train for 9 hours! The way back there was a 5 minute leg stretch break at Edinburgh on the way south.

Closely followed by London Paddington to Penzance in one go at well over 5 hours.

Now if we were talking of allowing breaks between services in the same diagram (which could be up to an hour), then we'd be talking of Abergavenny to Swansea, via Evesham, London Paddington, Cardiff Central, London Paddington, Swansea, London Paddington, Bath Spa, Bristol Parkway and Ninian Park. I believe that started at around 0510 and finished the next day at around 0223!

Gathursty

Established Member
Now if we were talking of allowing breaks between services in the same diagram (which could be up to an hour), then we'd be talking of Abergavenny to Swansea, via Evesham, London Paddington, Cardiff Central, London Paddington, Swansea, London Paddington, Bath Spa, Bristol Parkway and Ninian Park. I believe that started at around 0510 and finished the next day at around 0223!

This is what I'm looking for. Where you pretty much follow the train's diagram for the day or shift. It's still enduring to do Aberdeen to Penzance or similar. I've had a couple of curious looks when the staff of a service turning back have seen me stretching my legs before we all go back together.

leightonbd

Forty hours Salzburg to Athens, most of it standing/ lying in the corridor as we were Interrailing and hadn't booked seats. Some people took pity on us on day two and stood for a while so that we could sit down.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
This is what I'm looking for. Where you pretty much follow the train's diagram for the day or shift. It's still enduring to do Aberdeen to Penzance or similar. I've had a couple of curious looks when the staff of a service turning back have seen me stretching my legs before we all go back together.

Glad you finally got what you were after, only time I've ever done a full diagram's passenger work. The other famous one is of course Leeds-Aberdeen-London Kings Cross-Leeds

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Ah, I’m afraid I haven’t done longer than the 07:30 from Kings Cross, getting in to Edinburgh Waverley at 12:10. (VTEC)

2nd place: Edinburgh to Inverness (VTEC)

3rd place: Woking to Exeter St David’s (SWT)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
nearly 13 hours: Newcastle - Exeter ( should have been Barnstaple but we were so late my mum had to drive down and pick me up as i had missed the last train).

Winter Sunday end of BR/start of TOC's. 47 + stock. Train diverted anyway via Leicester due to engineering work. In bound working late. Low power. The train was failed at Newcastle and we expected a cancellation/replacement loco. We sat for nearly 2 hours while it was fixed. No cancellation. No replacement loco. We set off. It failed again somewhere near Sheffield although thinking back it sounded sick well before. We waited. We set off. Low on power. Stopped for ages at Derby for a fitter. Stopped for ages at Leicester for a guard/conductor. Stopped for ages at Brum because we could. Assumed a cancellation. Nope. Off we set. So late we were diverted again due to engineering works. Food ran out about Long Eaton. Drinks ran out about Birmingham. Oh and we reversed at bloody Gloucester.

What joy. All i can think is that there was some pressing need to get the loco/stock back south or there simply wasn't an alternative loco available. I should have known when the 47 pulled in with thick, black, encrusted oil all down one flank. I remember pulling away from one stop and oil hitting the carriage windows.

Ah the good old days!

On Moderation
Back in days of Peaks and Mark 1 stock, sometime in the 1986 I think.
1800ish St.Pancras-Nottingham relief with 451xx. Blagged it onto the ECS back to St.Pancras.
Same stock (different 45) then formed 0005 St.Pancras-Derby.
Re engine at Derby for ECS to Leicester (polite word with the guard again), Leicester-Bedford, Bedford-Derby, arrival about 0730.

Into modern times, with heritage traction (steam) it is possible to easily spend a day (0734-1958) on the Selketalbahn of the Harz with the same engine and stock

Edit - realise the thread is about the same train, not same the same stock

Status
Not open for further replies.