• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia; Longest walk from station entrance to platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
I think that the access road to Chapel-en-le-Frith station is 'railway owned' and part of the station lease area. There is a 'totem' sign at the bottom of it. The road is 0.4 mile long according to Google Maps (to the Buxton-bound platform only). Slightly more for pedestrian access to the Manchester-bound platform via the level crossing. The steep road zig-zags up the hill. Google suggests a slightly shorter pedestrian walk by deviating from the access road to a path across fields (0.3 miles). There can't be many other UK stations where that sort of consideration is relevant.
Crikey, I walked it once, it certainly feels like more than 0.4 miles uphill!
Plus then it is even further to join the old A6 and Chapel Centre, at least that bits level!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Malcmal

Around 22 miles seems to be the longest one I can find if ultra pedant mode is engaged and pure walking is only allowed with no other form of transport!! Namely Dartmouth :D

Timmyd

South Bermondsey is a fair walk up a not particularly appealing path

Another category would be one way systems at the moment (ie exit one side enter the other) requiring a long detour - Tulse Hill with its (admittedly narrow) subway a good example

D6975

Established Member
It's a fair way from Shotton station entrance to platform 1.

Gathursty

Established Member
Achnashellach although I'm counting from the main road. Longcross if using the same definition.
Middlewood has a sign for it on the A6 at High Lane but it's not a totem pole.

greyman42

Established Member
Going by the postal address for Glasgow Central, it is a long walk from Gordon Street main entrance to the low level platforms and also the platforms (12/13) which were the former short stay car parking area.
How so. Is one G1 and the other G2?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I suppose that some stations on the Manchester Piccadilly-Rose Hill Marple route are worth a current mention. You rock up at your (unstaffed) station entrance of habit or choice and discover that you have to walk to a platform on another line up to a mile away to actually get on a train.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Not sure it will break any records, but Moorfields (Liverpool) main entrance to Wirral Line platform is quite a long way.

BayPaul

Established Member
Around 22 miles seems to be the longest one I can find if ultra pedant mode is engaged and pure walking is only allowed with no other form of transport!! Namely Dartmouth :D
Good call! not sure the Station restaurant really counts as a station entrance anymore though.

Crossover

Established Member
Similarly main entrance / concourse to Leeds platform 17.
Somewhat exacerbated by the current situation. South entrance to p16/17 is a particularly mick take currently!
Entrance at Bolton to Platform 2.
Arguably ticket office to any platform at Bolton is a substantial walk. Even when you get the bottom of the bridge steps, I believe one is on essentially unused platform (excepting particularly long trains such as Pendolinos) and a further walk is needed to get to where the train stops
The covered walkway from the SECC carpark to Exhibition Centre in Glasgow is quite lengthy. I'm maybe pushing the limits of calling it a station entrance as you can use the walkway for other purposes, but I think it was built explicitly to serve the station?

I jogged through it on one of the hottest days last year, in a bid to avoid negotiating the rats nest of arterial roads and flyovers around the edge of Finnieston, and it was an unpleasantly long hot slog.
It is a fair trek from the SECC, luckily when I used it, it wasn't too warm, though warm enough for me!
I think that the access road to Chapel-en-le-Frith station is 'railway owned' and part of the station lease area. There is a 'totem' sign at the bottom of it. The road is 0.4 mile long according to Google Maps (to the Buxton-bound platform only). Slightly more for pedestrian access to the Manchester-bound platform via the level crossing. The steep road zig-zags up the hill. Google suggests a slightly shorter pedestrian walk by deviating from the access road to a path across fields (0.3 miles). There can't be many other UK stations where that sort of consideration is relevant.
If counting where the totem is, Hatfield and Stainforth is a bit of a slog from Station Road (0.2 miles apparently, but felt longer!)

John C

I guess you could add Leeds to this with the current one way system in place. To get to platform 17 from the main entrance once through the tickets barriers it involves walking the length of platform 8, across the far footbridge then walking the length of platform 16 to reach 17.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Fair way from main entrance / concourse to Manchester Piccadilly platforms 13/14.

Similarly main entrance / concourse to Leeds platform 17.
I guess you could add Leeds to this with the current one way system in place. To get to platform 17 from the main entrance once through the tickets barriers it involves walking the length of platform 8, across the far footbridge then walking the length of platform 16 to reach 17.
I concur. ;)

trainmania100

Established Member
I suppose Dorking Deepdene doesn't count... Dorking main station has a ticket office but deepdene is about half a mile round the block and the entrance is just a flight of stairs

Durradan

Definitely not on par with 13/14 at Manchester Piccadilly but if you come in via the entrance under the Trinity Centre, platform 6N at Aberdeen is a bit of a trek. You can see it just over the other side of the fence in the car park, but you need to walk all the way to the barriers at the other end of the station and then all the way back up on the other side.

Perth - Entering from York Place it's something like an 800m walk to the furthest platforms, depending on which route you take through the station.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Where does Bank station come in to this? Every time I’m there I feel like I’ve walked a mile through tunnels. Then we have South Kensington, which has a bit of a hefty walk too.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
[…]
Then we have South Kensington, which has a bit of a hefty walk too.
Apparently the Metropolitan & District originally wanted it to be big enough for a tramway shuttle between the station and the science museum, but they were eventually only allowed a foot subway.

Mikey C

Established Member
Not the longest, but North Sheen is one of the more inconveniently designed stations, requiring all passengers to go up and down significant stairs to access the platform

Additionally if you arrive from the south side of the tracks and the level crossing is closed, you then have to climb over another bridge to get to the entrance!

Llandudno

Established Member
On Merseyside
Water Street entrance to James Street
Central entrance to Wirral Line Platform
Moorfields street level entrance to Wirral Line Platform
Earlestown main entrance to Chester bound platform

Status
Not open for further replies.