• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Major cities which don't have any electrified lines, on the National Rail network?

zwk500

Veteran Member
Scarborough - (62k pop)
Salisbury - (42k)
Halifax - (88k)
Hartlepool - (88k)
Skegness - (21k)
Great Yarmouth - (100k for BUA)
Somewhat stretching the definition of a major city to include a town of 20,000 people, isn't it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
Somewhat stretching the definition of a major city to include a town of 20,000 people, isn't it?
Harrogate (75k) tops all those. I got that from Wiki. But is that Harrogate District (Incl Knaresborough, Pateley Br and Ripon) or just the town.

ijmad

Established Member

Lol fair point, it's a relatively well known destination at least.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Lol fair point, it's a relatively well known destination at least.
Yes but then so is Loch Ness.

I personally would say a 'major' town/city has at least c.250k population in it's general area (can be separate settlements) and is a major economic centre for it's region. Obviously in some areas there are large towns that are overshadowed at a wider level by an adjacent dominant settlement, so it won't be cut & dried.

Lemmy282

Sheffield has also had multiple promises of an electrified link to London that have yet to materialise, which must give it some sort of award as the city with the most unfortunate relationship with electrified mainline railways.
I reckon we were promised that when local MP Nick Clegg and David Cameron were joint PM's just to get his support, when Clegg lost his seat the electrification seemed to go with him!

matchmaker

Established Member
Turning the question a bit on its head, what's the smallest UK city that is on an electrified NR line? City of London is my guess.

AM9

Veteran Member
Turning the question a bit on its head, what's the smallest UK city that is on an electrified NR line? City of London is my guess.
Apart from the City of London which after all is a business district with a few thousand residents (8582), I'd say Ely (20112).

scrapy

Established Member
Yes it's Ely after City of London then Chichester, Lichfield, Carlisle and Durham, based on 2021 census population data.

BeijingDave

Yes but then so is Loch Ness.

I personally would say a 'major' town/city has at least c.250k population in it's general area (can be separate settlements) and is a major economic centre for it's region. Obviously in some areas there are large towns that are overshadowed at a wider level by an adjacent dominant settlement, so it won't be cut & dried.

I would say that is a high bar and would exclude many 'major towns'/smaller cities of around 100,000 people. Cheltenham, for example.

Y Ddraig Coch

Established Member
Think the carriage sidings at Maliphant were wired up, then de-wired when the scope of the GWML was reduced. Once upon a time there were the electrics running to the Mumbles...
But not now, so counts as a large city 245k without electric.