• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Mispronounced station names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
I’ve heard Luxuylan said like ‘Lucks-ul-lion’ but I think it’s said more like ‘Luck-zillion’?

Nailsea & Backwell is another. Locals actually call it ‘Nell-zee’ rather than ‘Nail-Sea’.

SWR, TfW and Southern station announcements also get Keynsham wrong, it’s said ‘Kaynsham’ not Keensham.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Nailsea & Backwell is another. Locals actually call it ‘Nell-zee’ rather than ‘Nail-Sea’.
When I moved down there, I initially assumed that "Nailsea" was pronounced "Nail-sey", the same as Chelsea.

Salisbury is one that catches people out, with "Sauls-bury" being the usual pronunciation- I assume that's correct.

Veteran Member
I often have a chuckle at how people (apart from locals) often mispronounce the name of KEIGHLEY station. Do you know of any other station names (let's limit this to England for obvious reasons) that frequently get mispronounced? BTW Keighley is pronounce Keeth-ly - not Keely, Kegly, Kethly or Kylie!!
And of course, they then want to go to Hayworth. Trains leave from Platform 4.

(The Area Bishop of Bradford is Toby Howarth, pronounced as in Haworth - you'd think he'd spell his name right, but he came from down South like me :) )

GB71

I remember one of my first InterCity 125 journeys back in 1983 from Kings Cross up to Dundee, when the 13:00 departure was the only one that made calls through Fife the pronunciation of both Kirkcaldy and Leuchars from the first guard was quite something! Really felt for him as he struggled and pronounced the "l" in Kirk-cal-dee and then Loo-chars.

vlad

A lot of automated announcements don't know how to pronounce places correctly even if the staff do. For example, If you're in Wolverhampton and listen to a train to Pwllheli being announced then prepare to cry if you're Welsh....

I don't know how Aspatria should be pronounced but judging by the laughter on the train, the automated pronunciation of ass-pat-rea can't be right!

Veteran Member
Drives me up the wall when I work a 331, "The next stop is Frizzzinghall"
First came up when they did automated announcements from Leeds PSB... 25 years ago - tempted to comment about Leeds v Bradford, but I won't.

Meanwhile, how about Meopham or Leigh in Kent. Or Allerton (Liverpool vs Bradford)....

PS I'm sure we've had this thread before...

Class800

Established Member
Euxton Balshaw Lane is Exton, not Yooxton.
I've heard it said the same as Euston - but it clearly shouldn't be. In fact, it should sound the same as the Devon station Exton as you say.

A lot of automated announcements don't know how to pronounce places correctly even if the staff do. For example, If you're in Wolverhampton and listen to a train to Pwllheli being announced then prepare to cry if you're Welsh....

I don't know how Aspatria should be pronounced but judging by the laughter on the train, the automated pronunciation of ass-pat-rea can't be right!
Yes Pwllheli in the Midlands can end up as PUFF WELLY.

Aspatria, what you say is a bit off, not too bad- it's more like US PAY TREE UH.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Google/Wiki/dictionary the IPA and then copy/paste into the IPA reader

pæŋkrəs (St Pancras)
mɪtʃəlˈdɛvər (Micheldever)

*IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet)

Pseudonym

Penistone - sometimes said how it looks
Wymondham - is actually WIND UM
there's loads - and we've discussed this before, although it's still interesting to do so again - I think you've got most of the best ones.
Because I am infantile at the age of 56 it will always be PENIS-tone

Glenn1969

Established Member
I think we've had Slaithwaite. I had no idea how Manea was pronounced until watching a video the other day which included the announcements on the 755s... which raises a question about how Gidea (Park) is pronounced.
Yes we have had Slaithwaite. I will put forward Mytholmroyd and the non-rail served Barkisland (Barkis-land not Bark-island)

Sheridan

First came up when they did automated announcements from Leeds PSB... 25 years ago - tempted to comment about Leeds v Bradford, but I won't.

Meanwhile, how about Meopham or Leigh in Kent. Or Allerton (Liverpool vs Bradford)....

PS I'm sure we've had this thread before...
I’m now trying to work out how Allerton could be pronounced in more than one way (but then again the English language will never cease to amaze!).

Parallel

Established Member
Automated announcements at King's Cross/York/Newcastle are also wrong for Kingussie, which is actually said 'Kin-yoo-ssie', not King-gus-sie.

Class800

Established Member
KING GUSSIE is quite annoying and amusing at the same time, it's more like KIN YOU SEE - not some image of a king with a large stomach, I know that's gusset

Live train announcement saying KING GUSSIE
Station announcement also KING GUSSIE

Not the right way to say it

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Teignmouth causes confusion to tourists. As we all know it's pronounced Tingmouth. However the river Teign from where it gets its name is best pronounced Tayne.
If your Norman Wisdom then it's Tinmouth!

geoffk

Established Member
Locally, we have Kirkby which has a silent second 'k'; very often pronounced as spelt by outsiders.
Same with Kirkby Stephen, but Kirkby-in-Ashfield does have the first k sounded.

Teignmouth causes confusion to tourists. As we all know it's pronounced Tingmouth. However the river Teign from where it gets its name is best pronounced Tayne.
If your Norman Wisdom then it's Tinmouth!
Everyone round here says Tinmouth. (I'm in Exeter).

Status
Not open for further replies.