• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most impressive stretch of line on the network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Sheffield to Stockport, mainly the part between Chinley and Dore & Totley.

Being pedantic, that stretch of line includes two very long tunnels at Totley and Cowburn so perhaps it might be more accurate to say the "impressing"part is between Edale and Grindleford?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
The Chorley arches are impressive, but you don't have the best view of them when on board (unless you're the driver I suppose). Although there are more spectacular views around, I'm always in awe of the navvies who built the line up Salterhebble bank (if that's the correct name): the bit between Greetland and Dryclough junctions in Halifax.

Skipness

Two parts of the GWR line to tge west country.
1 Dawlish to Teignmouth (especially when high sea)
2 Brunels bridge over the Tamar
(Just experienced them both today on a very lightly loaded train)

Whistler40145

Established Member
The western end of the Kyle line from Strathcarron to Kyle of Lochalsh, looking all along Loch Carron surrounded by the Wester Ross hills, past Plockton with its bonnie wee cottages and then looking out to sea, with the islands of Skye and Raasay in the distance, is nothing short of fantastic. At this time of year, with the hills all capped with snow and with frequent rainbows over the loch (the west coast weather changes every 15 minutes, especially in winter) it looks particularly impressive.
Definitely, especially on a loco hauled train with 37s providing the entertainment up front

This has become a different version of prettiest. My version of impressive is something like the south Western Main Line with flying junctions disappearing off at regular intervals (7+ Wimbledon flyover to just past Basingstoke) or the West Cost main line with plenty of grade separation near Euston, high speed not far out, a freight yard, a separate tube line providing local service and train after train. Add in some fast freight and that’s an impressive railway.

Requeststop

To impress rather than be scenic, then Mr Brunel's Great Western Railway. No doubt about it.
Second to impress would be the Settle-Carlisle line.
Both of the above are impressive feats of engineering and construction

py_megapixel

Established Member
Sheffield to Stockport, mainly the part between Chinley and Dore & Totley.

I'll extend that suggestion over the Stockport viaduct, particularly coming southbound. It's pretty impressive to shoot out of a cutting onto one of the world's largest viaducts.

The effect is more dramatic during rush hour when the motorway and the A6 are crowded - it really emphasises how high up you are. Also, it's fun at speed, so I'd choose to do it on a 323 or 331 for their acceleration.

VT 390

Established Member
I'll extend that suggestion over the Stockport viaduct, particularly coming southbound. It's pretty impressive to shoot out of a cutting onto one of the world's largest viaducts.

The effect is more dramatic during rush hour when the motorway and the A6 are crowded - it really emphasises how high up you are. Also, it's fun at speed, so I'd choose to do it on a 323 or 331 for their acceleration.
I agree the viaduct section is good, I didn't include it because I find the section between Stockport and Hazel Grove quite boring.

raetiamann

I know I'm cheating a little here, but the most impressive railway for me is the line between Andermatt and Disentis in Switzerland. The journey begins by entering a steep curved tunnel, from which the train emerges high in the mountains; absolutely stuning vistas, though it is important to sit on the right hand side in the direction of travel.

In the UK I like the Derwent valley line between Matlock and Helper.

Calthrop

Established Member
In the UK I like the Derwent valley line between Matlock and Helper.

A long and difficult journey -- which can't help but impress -- between Derbyshire, and Utah in the U.S.A. ! (The town of Helper, Utah -- population 2,201 -- got its name from its being the point on the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad's Grand Junction -- Salt Lake City route, where there was stationed in steam days, a bunch of "helper" [American rail parlance for "banker"] locos, to bank trains on the steep gradient up to Soldier Summit.)

Sorry -- anyone can make a typo, and I do feel that it's not kind to mock at them: but I just couldn't resist it here.

raetiamann

A long and difficult journey -- which can't help but impress -- between Derbyshire, and Utah in the U.S.A. ! (The town of Helper, Utah -- population 2,201 -- got its name from its being the point on the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad's Grand Junction -- Salt Lake City route, where there was stationed in steam days, a bunch of "helper" [American rail parlance for "banker"] locos, to bank trains on the steep gradient up to Soldier Summit.)

Sorry -- anyone can make a typo, and I do feel that it's not kind to mock at them: but I just couldn't resist it here.

Well spotted, would probably make quite a journey though.

Pokelet

How about Gloucester - STJ. The stretch actions the coast and along side the Severn Bridge is quite something

TheLastMinute

The Looe branch is right up there for me with its impressive views, civil engineer and operational oddities.

Starting off by dropping down from Liskeard to Combe Junction over 200 feet on a ruling gradient of 1 in 40, while turning through a 270° with the sharpest part having an 8 chains radius. Having reversed, the train passing through the East Looe valley and you feel seemingly cut off from civilization passing through stations with mystical sounding names such as St Keyne Wishing Well Halt. Finally, as the train runs across causeways in the East Looe River, there are stunning views of a typical Cornish estuary as you drop into the harbor town of Looe.

PG

Established Member
To impress rather than be scenic, then Mr Brunel's Great Western Railway. No doubt about it.
Second to impress would be the Settle-Carlisle line.
Both of the above are impressive feats of engineering and construction
Always impressed by the sight of a HST rocketing out of Box tunnel.
Also enjoy the Berks & Hants running entwined with the Kennet & Avon canal.

Tonyjones126

Birmingham International to Birmingham New St on a empty transport for wales, views of Birmingham Airport terminal 2 and then further along past Marston green you get the end of the runway with hopes of plane landing. Then I always enjoy the approach into new St with the freight terminal and the different lines all joining up

1955LR

Not exactly conventionally beautiful , the brilliant blue brickwork in the cuttings & tunnels into Birmingham New street from Worcester. Millions of bricks with just about 1/8" mortar between them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.