• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trivia: Most underwhelming "bus station"

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
This is the entirety of what is officially known (and shown on signage/timetables) as "New Mills Bus Station" in New Mills, Derbyshire:
(Google Street View photo of two small bus shelters and a few benches next to a short section of road marked "BUS AND TAXI ONLY")
1665918127737.png

That seems a rather grand title for such modest provision.

Any other examples of bus stations which are small, underwhelming or otherwise unsuited to that name?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Any other examples of bus stations which are small, underwhelming or otherwise unsuited to that name?
Cheltenham Royal Well Bus Station springs to mind as just being some bus shelters on a turning circle.

Cardiff Sophia Gardens Coach Station is equally underwhelming.

Dai Corner

Established Member
This (now closed) thread covered similar ground

Ken H

On Moderation
Colne
3 bus shelters ( so a little larger than New Mills) but only 1 is busy, with Trawden/Barnoldwick/Keighley/Skipton - Colne - Burnley services so 7 an hour weekdays daytime. But buses going East go from Market Street.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Heckmondwike "Bus Hub" is pretty drab compared to the elaborate structures that nearby Cleckheaton and Batley have. There is a case to be made that Hecky's facility is a more appropriate use of public funds, but it isn't a nice place to have to wait on a cold wintery night.

Ken H

On Moderation
These 2 bus shelters are Ambleside 'Bus Interchange'
Ambleside used to have a bus station and a garage.
1665927046550.png

philthetube

Established Member
This is the entirety of what is officially known (and shown on signage/timetables) as "New Mills Bus Station" in New Mills, Derbyshire:
(Google Street View photo of two small bus shelters and a few benches next to a short section of road marked "BUS AND TAXI ONLY")
View attachment 122189

That looks like Earby.

Cambus731

Good shout with Colne. When I first visited, I didn't even realise that it was only served by Westbound buses.

Colchester council are having laugh calling the present arrangement of a few on street stops and a small waiting room a 'bus station' The old bus station in Colchester used to have good facilities including a decent cafe

Strathclyder

Established Member
Clydebank Bus Station (Chalmers Street) is a pretty drab affair all things considered. Yes, there are several frequent services and is directly adjecent to Clydebank railway station, but these factors are precisely why it's so underwhelming, nay, unfit for purpose considering the level of traffic it sees. There was a plan to completely refurbish it in the early/mid-2000s (or at the very least a artist's concept for it; I do remember coming across such a thing a few years ago), but that's been lost to the mists of time. The biggest stumbling block to any major overhaul of the place is the presence of a substation at the eastern end of the stances (on the east/Glasgow-bound side; see attached screenshot from Google Maps).

Screenshot (2) - Copy.jpg

johnnychips

Established Member
Ashbourne. Two bus shelters alongside a long lay-by. To be fair it used to have a toilet, but it closed.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
These 2 bus shelters are Ambleside 'Bus Interchange'
Ambleside used to have a bus station and a garage.
View attachment 122196
The word "Interchange" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there! Reminds me a bit of the collection of stops around the Waterloo area of Huddersfield near the Yorkshire Traction (now Transdev) depot... which in the late 1990s West Yorkshire PTE in their infinite wisdom decided to brand as "Waterloo Interchange"!

See also, Denby Dale Interchange which is a bus turning circle near the railway station with one frequently-vandalised bus shelter.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Is Nairn Bus Station still one stop set in broken concrete, in a car park outside a kebab shop?
I didn't see broken concrete the last time I was there, but it still consists of one shelter in the car park. The fast food establishment is still there, along with a small coffee shop at the end of the building. The bus station was tidied up a bit when they demolished the garage and built flats in its place.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
We have a 'bus gate' in Penzance - no physical gate or barrier,no signage painted on the road, only a sign not visible until the last moment from the main direction traffic would be coming from. Been here for years, never seen or heard of any private car, van or lorry being prosecuted or even reprimanded for transgession.

Megafuss

East Croydon Bus Station is extremely underwhelming. When you compare it to the stylish rebuild of West Croydon Bus Station, you have to ask where did all the money go?

gazmark

Harmer lane coach station in Sheffield was bad before it was knocked down, Holmfirth is another uninviting Bus Station

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Wadebridge is the worst I can remember. A vandalised shelter and 3 overgrown, disused bays. Much worse than Google Streetview shows it with a 13 year old picture!

JD2168

Manor Top Interchange in Sheffield, 3 bus stops that are mostly unused by all services except the hourly 18 in one direction & a Tram stop alongside.

Peacehaven

Storrington- a large village in West Sussex shown also on Google Street View as a bus station has a sign in the High Street proudly displaying 'Bus Station' which shows the way to just two bus stops but no shelter - Heaven help you if your bus is late when it rains.

I nominate Llanelli. Waited for 5 advertised buses to stop at one of the 7 bus shelters outside Asda and none came.

busestrains

On Moderation
Uckfield Bus Station is certainly a contender. It is just three bus stops with three bus shelters next to a car park behind the shops. It is extremely basic.

Midhurst Bus Station is another very similar one. It is just three bus stops with three bus shelters again next to some car park. Again it is extremely basic.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Harmer lane coach station in Sheffield was bad before it was knocked down, Holmfirth is another uninviting Bus Station
Holmfirth isn't that bad. Needs a bit of TLC and is somewhat lacking in facilities but no worse than some other examples in similarly-sized rural market towns. At least the location is nice enough, in the heart of the town and right next to the river.

The tendency for anti-social behaviour of an evening isn't great, but again there are worse examples around.

Whilst it isn't as pathetic as some of the "bus shelter in a car park" examples, I always thought Digbeth Coach Station in Brum was pretty grim.

ATrainSpotter

View attachment 122189

There is a bus stop called “Bus Station”outside the large co-op in Shanklin on the Isle Of Wight. Made me chuckle when I noticed it.

733C20F2-338E-4793-97FD-D2604C96F595.jpeg

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There is a bus stop called “Bus Station”outside the large co-op in Shanklin on the Isle Of Wight. Made me chuckle when I noticed it.
Possibly a hangover from when that site (about 40 years ago) was the home to Southern Vectis's combined bus station and depot.

Now, I'm an aficionado of underwhelming bus stations, and this is helped by relatively frequent trips to South Wales. Some posters have already mentioned some (like Treharris) though I can't agree with Llanelli. The one it replaced was appalling and at least the current one has a bakery and a Costa. I was there on Saturday and it's fine... but Gorseinon is another matter!

Here's some of my faves

1665994395635.png
Cymmer interchange at the head of the Afan Valley

1665994519735.png
Talbot Green near Llantrisant

1665994616047.png
Nelson

In fact, here's a couple from Saturday including somewhere I hadn't visited and Pontardulais Interchange....

1665994817725.png
1665994942991.png
Gorseinon bus station

1665995160177.png
Tredegar bus station (in the distance) - built on the site of the old bus station/depot

Other ones in South Wales in the naff category are Monmouth and Haverfordwest. They really have cornered the market in duff places to wait for a bus

Ken H

On Moderation
Hebbles facility in Bingley. Probably 50's or 60's. They called it Bingley,Central Area in their timetables. Must have been lovely in the wet.

Screenshot_2022-10-17-09-44-29-1.png

SLC001

We visited Monmouth on several occasions, and I was also disappointed by Monmouth's bus station. I guess the lack of buses and sign posting was part of the reason but on the other hand, it is close to the town centre and there are plenty of cafes nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.